NAPA?pricing

/ NAPA?pricing #11  
My local NAPA is my first choice. I find the people are generally more knowledgable than the other choices. The prices are always competitive and if they don't carry it or have an item in stock, they will call the competition which is an independent to see if they have it.

I don't care for that "deer in the headlights look" that I get at the Auto... places. We also have O'Reilly's auto parts stores around. Some of them are not to bad but then there is another where I have been "shut down" when I know I am right.

I was looking for diesel rated rubber fuel lines and they tried to tell me that there is no difference between gas and diesel. You replace the rubber lines on a Dodge/Cummins one time and you are not likely to bother with gas rated again.

Did I mention, my local NAPA also carries a complete Stihl line? Guess it depends on where you live?

/ NAPA?pricing #12  
"List" price is a crock of..... :ashamed:
An imaginary number to make you think you are paying less for the item than someone else. Problem is- it isn't industry wide, each company can make it appear you are getting the better discount. Bottom line is bottom line- don't mess it up by throwing a bunch of different numbers at the customer.

Same goes with the "free shipping" or " lowest prices" on orders over the internet. I just researched a replacement (aftermarket) bumper for my truck. One site "guaranteed lowest prices"- bumper $209 :)thumbsup:) Shipping $145 :)() "Handling Fee" $35 (?!?!? :mad: ?!?!) total $389.00.

Second site- "free shipping on all orders" total $389.00.... :confused:

Both "companies" selling the same brand aftermarket bumper.

They should all stop playing games. Be up front about all costs associated with the sale. I like the "good- better- best" idea for different levels of expected life out or quality of a product- then I get the idea of why something might cost more than another.

I shop multiple stores for parts, once I have researched what I need, a couple of phone calls to see who has it in stock and the price range.

Ironically, the local NAPA store came through beyond the web site. I needed a blower motor resistor for my car. Web site quoted price with shipping options, most expensive being overnight delivery. Local store quoted same price.... but not in stock. When I asked when they could have it- he said tomorrow morning- when I asked......no extra fee!:D

/ NAPA?pricing #13  
To me, NAPA is only good for last resort.
If you have the time, comparative shopping online can save a bundle.
It is cheaper for me to pay reasonable shipping charges than to buy the gas to drive to town.

That....

I recently was in dire need of a RR brake caliper for my Silverado. The one I knew was bad and replaced that morning was 39.00. NAPA was the only place around that had the rh one and I pad 90. Grr.....

/ NAPA?pricing #14  
I generally buy my auot, lawnmower, etc parts at NAPA. However the solenoid went bad on my deere GT235 earlier this season. The solenoid was $134 at NAPA and $70 at deere dealer.

/ NAPA?pricing #15  
I get a discount at the NAPA store and find their prices to be inline for most things. It helps to be a repeat customer I guess. they also have a better stock of the things I want.

I think the other stores may be better if you need some blue lights to install under your running boards.:confused:

/ NAPA?pricing #16  
I generally buy my auot, lawnmower, etc parts at NAPA. However the solenoid went bad on my deere GT235 earlier this season. The solenoid was $134 at NAPA and $70 at deere dealer.

That's been my experience with NAPA, too! I thought Deere was high on filters, etc. until I went to NAPA and cross-checked the comparable Wix and NAPA gold filters --- whew! :eek:

I can now rest easy and save on gas buying at either of the Deere guys near me.

AKfish

/ NAPA?pricing #17  
About two weks ago I bought a 1/2 x 40 inch belt at NAPA. It was almost $16.00. I figured that I would get another one at a local auto parts place. It was less than half the price and it looks like it's better quality. The package from the local place says heavy duty. The NAPA package says nothing.

/ NAPA?pricing #18  
The other day I needed to replace the fuel filter on my Ranger. Went to NAPA and the filter was $36 including a new mounting bracket. When trying to install it I noticed why it came with a new bracket, it was half the diameter of the factory part. I put it back in the box and got the proper factory part at the Ford dealer for $24. I brought both filters back to NAPA to show the guy why I was returning their filter. He was not interested but did refund my money.

Nearly every time I use aftermarket parts I regret it. I have found that if a aftermarket part is a lot cheeper, there is a reason. Auto parts store and midas exhaust parts vs. factory exhaust systems are a perfect example. 13 years on a factory exhaust, 20 months on the exhaust from Autozone. It cost half of the factory replacement but was a waste of money.

/ NAPA?pricing #19  
As far as exhaust replacement, I always go to a reputable exhaust shop and replace it with lifetime warranty parts, so far they have been just that. Never had to replace them again.

In the 80's I priced the parts to replace the exhaust on a pickup. The parts were then 153.00. I had to do all the labor and had joints and clamps in various places in the system. The parts guy was a friend and told me that he would gladly sell me the parts but to go down the street to Meineke Muffler and price them to install it for me in lifetime parts and no clamps. Total cost was 150.00. I didn't get dirty or sweatty and saved money, had a better system.

As far as NAPA, years ago they were extremely high on their prices. I know the guys and bought a little from them but there were other stores. Then 2 of the big box A stores came to town. Napa and all the other private owned parts stores had to tighten their belt and get competitive to survive. I now find that some parts are actually cheaper and quality usually seems better, not always, but usually. Also, in the big box stores, they can't find anything on their own, if you don't have a year and make of a vehicle, forget it. NAPA can find it by part number and usually do good on matching up most parts that are obsolete in other stores. And as far as tractor parts, they usually find what I need. For the big tractor parts, I have a good source not too far away but I do shop at NAPA, I know the guys, they seem to look out for me, but I do shop around.

/ NAPA?pricing #20  
I think the other stores may be better if you need some blue lights to install under your running boards.:confused:

Isn't that the truth! I find Checker, Autozone, Pep Boys about as worthless as **** on a log.

My local NAPA just moved into brand new digs; so I expect the prices will remain high to pay for the new space they are in.