Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor?

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor?
Weight and width of tractor is not always a good comvo for sidehills and steeo slopes. Big tractors have their weight higher than smaller tractors and a higher cenrer of gravity is a more tippy situation on hills.

Also your cj5 is not a good center of gravity. It is too high and too light and narrow. Comparing it to your rock crawler isn't logical because your cj5's primary advantage is being nimble . A far better vehicle on hills/slopes is a volkswagon beetle (old one or new one). Irs biggest weakness is ground clearance . . but it will stick to the hill long after the cj5 is in the ditch or ravine.

There is some truth to some of the things you say but it isn't an illogical comparison. A tractor is much more comparable to my jeeps in both height, weight, and length than it would be to a VW. A VW is much better on side hills, but they don't make tractors with 6" ground clearance.

All of the options listed are the same height but, to your point, I do need to look at ground clearance to get a better picture.

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor? #12  
Most new guys are pretty worried about tip over. And they should be, until they get some experience. BUT if you don't do stupid things, like driving around with your FEL bucket loaded and way up in the air like all the you-tube videos show, you won't have a whole lot of trouble unless your ground is really steep. tractors are fairly stable. Only when you do dumb things, and don't use common sense then they will "bite" you. I suspect with your jeep experience, you already know this.

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor? #13  
I will disagree about thr larger tractors being less stable. You can set the wheel spacing much wider more easily and loading the tires helps tremendously. I will take my Lil e places I won't take the kubota. A small hole to the kubota is a big deal. The e doesn't care as much. I was brushhoging the other day on a slope so steep I was spinning a bit in 4wd with the jd and a tires. One thing I will say is that ag tires do not like rocks much if they have sharp edges. We have alot of shale and my tires have lots of slices in the tires from doing loader work. I do prefer the hst of the kubota for loader work unless I need the muscle of the tractor or digging force of the track loader. A tractor will also go up and down much steeper than it can traverse sideways.

Your mileage may vary as they say. K0ua has a good point about the stability though.

I went and test drove the Mahindra's. The 45 was not as big as I thought. It is large but it is also built stout. It is a "tractor" for sure. It is wider than the other two. For the same basic price, I am thinking it is the way to go. I imagine with as much dirt moving and backhoe work I anticipate that the heavier beefier 45 would be better and last longer. Also dragging logs and clearing the bigger would be better suited. I am going to do more research but I feel a little more comfortable with the 45.

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor? #15  
Good points, thanks.

I just don't want to be working and thinking I should have gotten the bigger one and on the other hand I don't want to be working and saying I wish this thing was smaller. Urg!

Your not a real man if you don't find yourself thinking bigger! I've caught myself wondering if 200+hp would be too much ;)

If utility size isn't too big get it.. You will see they're built differently, more fluid capacity, larger components, Longer service intervals, etc...

But if you're wanting HST over shuttle then you will have to refine your search.

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor? #16  
One thing to consider is that once you go from Cat I to Cat II implements, the cost seems to increase geometrically.

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor? #17  
Overkill is underrated in my opinion. My tractors keep getting bigger.

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor? #18  
Your not a real man if you don't find yourself thinking bigger! I've caught myself wondering if 200+hp would be too much ;)

"Thnking bigger" is common to many . . But taking action on that thought is something quite different.

/ Narrow choice down, Can I get too much Tractor? #19  
My 2 cents is 40Hp won't be enough. Peronally I'd be looking in the 70~ HP range. If stability is a concern you can get smaller tires which will bring your center of gravity lower. If you have a road department that does hills, they have large heavy weight tractors with smaller wheels. Sounds like you'll be doing "some" logging and clearing. That is where your weight will come in nicely to pull, push, lift etc. Also don't discount Deere and the other brands. Deere "generally" will offer a heavier tractor for the same size in other brands. Please don't flame be as this is a generalization. And yes Deere will most likely cost a bit more but on the larger tractors they seem to be built better (JMO).

Good luck on your search.

Well, I went with the 4550 with FEL, BH and Box Blade. I love it and I am so glad I didnt go smaller. I am already up to 50 hrs. I have used mainly for building roads to get around the property. I am having a blast!