Narrowing down first tractor options

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #1  

Fordman98

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kgro
Hi guys, I'm in the research phase of purchasing my first tractor. My wife and I just bought 5.5 acres with 90% being woods. I have maybe a half acre to mow. However the current mowing is very steep hills. I'm not sure yet on what I want to do for a mower. I have a rider but it doesn't like the hills at all. (Can't go up or down without sliding) thinking maybe a mmm would be good on new tractor to keep weight low?

With that, I plan to use the new tractor to maintain the trails and driveway. The driveway is only about 300 ft. I'll also use it for snow removal. Most snowfalls are less then a foot so plan on a rear blade for this. Also I'll be renting equipment to clear out some of the woods for a bigger yard and a garden area. So the tracror will be used to get that area which is about an acre ready for planting a yard.

So with that background, my question becomes what size tractor would be best? I was thinking something in the 30hp Range around 2500lbs. But then I saw what the rk24 can do and thought maybe that would be all I needed and I'd have the maneuverability of the smaller tractor for the trail maintenance. Thoughts and opinions?

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #2  
I figured a SCUT would help me on my hill, but I find the weight can be an issue if I'm not careful. I need to stay in 4WD and Low Range to do it. If you plan on doing much digging or ground leveling work, you might want a backhoe, loader and tiller or other ground blades. There are mowing machines designed for steep terrain, but they're not exactly inexpensive.

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #3  
We us a BX or our JD 1025R for mowing steep hills. I added spacers and wheel weights, but it did OK as it came. Due to limited ground clrarace about 7-8 inches is a real hindrance in woods. We have bigger tractor on site so not an issue. If I needed just one tractor to do as you asked, my choice would be a B2601, 2650 or equivalent in one of the other brands, hey all make good machines.

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #4  
If you go with a tractor, don't think about one without 4wd and a FEL. I had a friend that just purchased one. I tried his best to buy a 2wd and no loader. Never had one before and didn't see a reason for it. Dealer made him a package deal. He just went back to the dealer to thank him for talking him into it.
I don't mow hill, my son has a 3pt finish mower that he likes well.

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #5  
Consider Ventrac, Steiner and Power Trac, with equal size wheels all around.

Ventrac and Steiner are ubiquitous in golf course maintenance. Expensive.

Power Trac not so expensive.

/ Narrowing down first tractor options
Yeah I'm leaning towards a cut size machine just to help with traction. And it will definitley be 4wd with the fel as id like to have the grapple with it to help with downed trees and brush.

I like the idea of a rear finish mower as i wouldn't have to mess with taking a mmm off every time I wanted to do trail work. plus not having a lot of yard to mow the mmm is an expensive option. I just wonder how well the rear finish mower would do with the hills.

Jeff,
I'd seen speciality hill mowers. The problem other than cost with those is the dealers are well over 2 hrs away.

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #7  
Yeah I'm leaning towards a cut size machine just to help with traction. And it will definitley be 4wd with the fel as id like to have the grapple with it to help with downed trees and brush.

I like the idea of a rear finish mower as i wouldn't have to mess with taking a mmm off every time I wanted to do trail work. plus not having a lot of yard to mow the mmm is an expensive option. I just wonder how well the rear finish mower would do with the hills.

Jeff,
I'd seen speciality hill mowers. The problem other than cost with those is the dealers are well over 2 hrs away.
Your right. For just a half acre to mow, I wouldn't want a mid mount mower either.

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #8  
CUTs are tough on hills, unless you can go up and down and have safe places to turn top and bottom. With that said, I see people around here all the time mowing across slopes that I wouldn't dare to, and they've been doing it for years. For a half acre, you might be better off with a good sized walk mower and get the tractor you need for the woods. My little 26hp CUT is not happy in the woods, and you need to remember that if there is a rock or tree next to you and you happen to tip, and the ROPS gets by it, you could be seriously squashed. The tractor for your woods work would likely be larger than you'd like to use on the grass anyway.

/ Narrowing down first tractor options
Yeah I actually tried some different things on my rider and it seems to do ok now. So kinda changed my mind on getting the mower portion all together. I'm planning to make an acre or so yard in the spring but I think my rider will still be sufficient.

On another note I took a look at several tractors today after work. There's a kioti dealer, a massey dealer, and an ls dealer all fairly close so those are where in stopped. Favorite tractor of what I saw was the kioti ck2610. It just felt right sitting on it. But the dealer was trying to push his cs line as they had special package deals this month. Just not sure it's big enough. The ls dealer was more willing to listen to what my needs actually are and gave his recommendation for the xg3025h. I liked his pricing a lot better too. The massey dealer didn't give me the time of day to even talk.

Of the ck2610 and xg3025 which would you guys recommend. Or would something like the cs2510 work well enough ? I like the bigger tractors but like the scut prices lol

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #10  
Either machine would work well for you. Be sure to drive them around and use the loader before you make a decision. Just sitting in the seat isn’t enough.

You will hear horror stories about the LS xg machines leaking oil. They had a problem where the engine mounts didn’t fit correctly, and when the loader was used, it would cause the oil pan to leak at the front.
They were recalled and fixed. New machines don’t have the problem.