Nasty Little Hydrostatic Transmission Secrets...

/ Nasty Little Hydrostatic Transmission Secrets... #51  
Very interesting thread. Thanks to all. I bought a TC 45DA HST and thought I might of had a problem with it but now I see it is the nature of the HST. I bought it used and thought I might have gotten taken. I never had a hydro before and it is convenient. I'm used to a geared tractor where the tractor would stall when you tried to pull/push to much. I was doing like ScandaBrad was doing with the icy snow and noticed the tractor was running out of pushing power yet the engine wasn't even straining. Now I know why.... I didn't do all my homework on HST's. I love the tractor though, just a oversight on my part. Well anyway, I guess it is working as it should and nothing is busted!! Happy New Year!!

/ Nasty Little Hydrostatic Transmission Secrets... #52  
So if what I am reading here you must always have it in low to reverse up a 30 deg grade. If I have mine in rabbit it will make it up about 75 feet of a 150 foot 30 deg grade then it will stop and just whine. I have the foot pedal fully depressed? The wheels don't spin,it just won't go any further. I only have a 200lb. load on the loader. Is this normal? Should I use low range (I didn't try that)? I changed the filters and put substitute Wix filters on it I thought that might be the problem. I haven't put much time on the tractor and it is my 1st hydro static. With my gear tractors it will go spin the wheels and if it can't it will stall out. Help me out here. Do I have a bum tractor or a dumb operator?? :0) It's been so wet here this summer I really can't do a whole lot without tearing everything up.So I put it in rabbit mode to get a running start as to not tear up all the sod. Just leaves ruts that will eventually come out.

/ Nasty Little Hydrostatic Transmission Secrets... #53  
"I have the foot pedal fully depressed?"

When you fully depress the pedal, you are basically going in a higher gear without adding power. When the going gets tough, drop it in a lower range.

/ Nasty Little Hydrostatic Transmission Secrets... #54  
"I have the foot pedal fully depressed?"

You have to reverse your thinking. As the tractor loses power, you have to let up on the hydro pedal to get more power to the wheels. If it still won't go, you have to go to a lower transmission range.