Nature Conservancy

/ Nature Conservancy #11  
Thank you for the explanation, I'm on the East coast and know nothing of these Islands you are referring too. It sounds as that may have been a good expenditure of Tax paying $$. I am one, that would speak up if Millions of tax paying $$ were to be spent for something frivolously such as moving all the sheep because there is ONE purple eyed, pink toed miniature tree frog that MAY be on the Island.:rolleyes: I am not one for cutting down all trees and laying asphalt everywhere, but I do think some of the Conservancy groups have gone a little too far.

David

/ Nature Conservancy #12  
The problem I have with "removing" the goats is that they were not anything special, just descendants of ordinary farm goats.

The least expensive way to deal with the problem wouild be just shoot the goats and be done with it. Could have even charged people for licenses to shoot them.

As a taxpayer, I object to any waste of public funds, which this certainly was.

/ Nature Conservancy #13  
I know nothing of this specific group but conservation in it's self has gotten out of hand , at least in New England. About 3 years ago the State of New Hampshire bought several thousand acres in the northern most county to prevent developement. This county has experienced a steady population decline for over 70 years. Who were these hypothetical developers going to sell to ?? All of the land in question paid only 1 -2% of the taxes that residential land does but now pays nothing & since it required no government services the cost for the rest is spread over a smaler base. Guess who pays the balance now ??? This is the same concept that formed the White Mountain National Forest in the late 1800's. The land owners cut all the worthwhile wood & dumped the land onto the taxpayers to aviod continuing taxes. 120 years the paper mills did it again and are closing the mills further reducing employement which by it's self reduces developement.

I saw a map in Carson City Nevada that showed that the land west of the Mississippi is 90+ % government owned and east is 90=% privately owner. I think these groups promote all land becoming government owned.

I hope this doesn't come off as a rant, I just don't believe the "government" always does a better job than private business and believe that conservation is not always conservative. Mike