dgl24087

Veteran Member
Tractor
1975 John Deere 1530
From the Detroit News:

Thursday, February 28, 2008
Report: Navistar files suit against Ford Motor Co. in engine dispute

Detroit News Wire Services

Navistar International Corp., a diesel-engine supplier to Ford Motor Co. for more than 25 years, has refiled a breach-of-contract suit against the automaker, Bloomberg News reported today.
Navistar says Ford backed out of a pledge to use Navistar engines in Ford pickup trucks.
A Navistar lawsuit was dismissed in September in order to allow Navistar to mediate a third-party dispute. That dispute is settled and Navistar is taking the case up again, the Warrenville, Illinois-company said in a statement today.

** On a side note (not from this story, but from PickupTruck.com: Pickup Truck News, Reviews, Community and Help Finding a New or Used Pickup, regarding the temporary order from Ford's suit against Navistar last March): Ford also agreed to pay $7,673 per engine instead of the $6,167 it believed to be the fair price until the dispute is finally settled.

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #2  
one more way they can attempt price hike justifications

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #3  
Very interesting. Makes me wonder about the claim that Ford is cancelling the V10 and pushing diesels just so it can make more profits on the diesels.

Also, Navistar doesn't sell any pickup that realistically competes with Ford and to my knowledge isn't looking to sell engines to someone else. Maybe the engines really cost a lot to make. I would think at some point Ford would develop a diesel in-house so they didn't have this running dispute with Navistar.

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford
Z-Michigan said:
Very interesting. Makes me wonder about the claim that Ford is cancelling the V10 and pushing diesels just so it can make more profits on the diesels.

Also, Navistar doesn't sell any pickup that realistically competes with Ford and to my knowledge isn't looking to sell engines to someone else. Maybe the engines really cost a lot to make. I would think at some point Ford would develop a diesel in-house so they didn't have this running dispute with Navistar.
The root of the lawsuit is that Ford has developed an in-house diesel, the 4.4L due in the F150. That engine is capable of displacement up to 6.0L. The 4.4L is rumored to be in the 350 HP 650 ft-lb. torque range of the 6.4L Powerstroke.

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #5  
dgl24087 said:
The root of the lawsuit is that Ford has developed an in-house diesel, the 4.4L due in the F150. That engine is capable of displacement up to 6.0L. The 4.4L is rumored to be in the 350 HP 650 ft-lb. torque range of the 6.4L Powerstroke.

That's right. It looks like the 6.4L may only be a 2-year diesel. If it's true, Ford will be installing it's 4th diesel engine in 8 years in the Superduty.

Once can imagine that Ford service techs must be ready to find the nearest bridge to jump off of. They don't know how to fix the 6L yet, they're just getting to know the 6.4L and now here comes another diesel from a different source.:eek:

Man that's crazy.

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #6  
Builder said:
That's right. It looks like the 6.4L may only be a 2-year diesel. If it's true, Ford will be installing it's 4th diesel engine in 8 years in the Superduty.

Once can imagine that Ford service techs must be ready to find the nearest bridge to jump off of. They don't know how to fix the 6L yet, they're just getting to know the 6.4L and now here comes another diesel from a different source.:eek:

Man that's crazy.

Gee...if you kept your old Ford Diesel truck for 500,000 miles there might not be any techs that will know how to work on it or have parts to fix it...:rolleyes:

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #7  
Trust me they cant support trucks with a lot less than 500,000 miles! Try 270,000:D

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #8  
Ford is better off paying the money and ridding itself of their junk engines . The 6 litre has a lot of good ideas (on the CAD files) but dont work in the real world (ive been inside mine and know from first hand). They should use Cummins and have a real engine instead of waisting money on new techs with all the inherant teathing problems .

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #9  
Iron Horse said:
Ford is better off paying the money and ridding itself of their junk engines . The 6 litre has a lot of good ideas (on the CAD files) but dont work in the real world (ive been inside mine and know from first hand). They should use Cummins and have a real engine instead of waisting money on new techs with all the inherant teathing problems .

IH makes some good ones, too. DT series is as dependable as it gets.

/ Navistar refiles suit against Ford #10  
Iron Horse said:

IH makes good ones, too DT series is as good as it gets. I agree the 6L is probably destined for the "boat anchor" moniker along with the 8.2L fuel pincher, the 3208 CAT, etc.