Nearly died yesterday

/ Nearly died yesterday #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H Deere 5105
My wife and I were driving back from Oregon yesterday on I-5 in Northern California's central valley. That part of I-5 is two lanes each direction. I went to pass a semi truck and looked up the road to see a wrong way pickup truck headed my way in the fast lane at full speed. I slammed on the brakes and just managed to tuck behind the semi's trailer before getting hit head on. If I'd been a second slower we'd have been hit. If it hadn't been on a dead flat and straight section where I could see far down the road we'd have been hit. A head on or even a glancing hit at 120 mph+ combined speed would be deadly. I was really shook up for a while after that. It still bothers me.

My wife followed the highway patrol feed to see what happened. It sounds like the driver went for at least 10 miles before eventually pulling onto the center divide and turning around. No accident reports but a lot of scared people. I hope everyone here had a less exciting day yesterday.

/ Nearly died yesterday #3  
My wife and I were driving back from Oregon yesterday on I-5 in Northern California's central valley. That part of I-5 is two lanes each direction. I went to pass a semi truck and looked up the road to see a wrong way pickup truck headed my way in the fast lane at full speed. I slammed on the brakes and just managed to tuck behind the semi's trailer before getting hit head on. If I'd been a second slower we'd have been hit. If it hadn't been on a dead flat and straight section where I could see far down the road we'd have been hit. A head on or even a glancing hit at 120 mph+ combined speed would be deadly. I was really shook up for a while after that. It still bothers me.

My wife followed the highway patrol feed to see what happened. It sounds like the driver went for at least 10 miles before eventually pulling onto the center divide and turning around. No accident reports but a lot of scared people. I hope everyone here had a less exciting day yesterday.
Glad you're okay!

/ Nearly died yesterday #4  
I hate to hear that. I had it happen to me. I saw the car coming at me from a distance, I was also in the hammer lane. It took me a minute to process a closing speed of over a 130 mph but I had plenty of time to get over. I think I saw brake lights come on after she passed me, I had my horn blaring as she blew by me.

I figure this happens when someone get on an exit ramp thinking it‘s an on ramp.

/ Nearly died yesterday #6  
I'm glad you avoided the truck. I got hit head on when I went around a blind corner 700 feet from my driveway. This was in 1999. $470,000.00 in medical bills. You probably would have been killed. Once again, I'm so happy you were able to avoid the truck.
Eric

/ Nearly died yesterday #7  
Whew. At those speeds it's amazing how fast the gap closes.
Good reflexes, saved your wife's life.

/ Nearly died yesterday #8  
Near headons are no joke. Glad you are okay.

1 person died here last week when an SUV crossed the center line while cresting a hill. The driver said their dog was trying to jump out their window at the time of the accident. The motorcyclist did not survive... less than a mile from my house.

Last edited:
   / Nearly died yesterday #9  
That's scary. I'm glad to hear that you are OK.

I heard a guy on the radio talking about head on accidents on the Interstate, and it's more common then most people realize. Drunks drive up the wrong Onramp and don't realize it. Or they black out for a second and cross the medium and end up in the other lanes. They get in "their" right lane and anybody driving in the correct direction in the left lane ends up dying from a head on collision.

The guy on the radio said that you should always stay in the Right lane when driving at night. Almost no head on accidents happen in that lane.

/ Nearly died yesterday #10  
Unfortunately happens to often here. The on ramps to the highway are antiquated. Usually alcohol is involved.

I live in the country but work in the city. Roads to my house you see impatient drivers waiting for a tractor and they just jump out. They don't care if your driving towards them.

It's Michigan, people are assholes