Neat Machine

/ Neat Machine #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
I saw this link over at red power which I got pointed to by the King of Obsolete.:D This is one fantastic machine. YouTube - BSOT 2008

Chris

/ Neat Machine #2  
pennwalk said:
I saw this link over at red power which I got pointed to by the King of Obsolete.:D This is one fantastic machine. YouTube - BSOT 2008

Chris

I saw that thingy last Sat at the Best Show on Tracks at the Dan Best ranch neary Knights Landing, CA. Lotsa neat stuff there. Old Holt and Best track layers and other traction engines in abundance.

DSCF0021Small.jpg

The two California companies, The Holt Manufacturing Co. of Stockton and Best Manufacturing Co. of San Leandro, merged in 1925 to form Caterpillar.

They had an old steam thresher working that day that attracted a lot of attention.

DSCF0049Small.jpg

Most of the large stuff came from the Heidrick Ag Museum in nearby Woodland, CA. Some of the West Coast antique tractor clubs hauled in their prize pieces to display at the show.

It was about 104F at noon so I lasted about an hour in that heat. Had a bad case of heat exhaustion in Sep06 so I have to be careful not to get dehydrated, which is easy to do with the RH near 0%.

/ Neat Machine
flusher. It must have been great to see those machines in motion. Even better to see some of them working. It is kind of amazing that the museums let them out. Nice pictures.:D

Chris

/ Neat Machine #4  
pennwalk said:
flusher. It must have been great to see those machines in motion. Even better to see some of them working. It is kind of amazing that the museums let them out. Nice pictures.:D

Chris

The Heidrick Ag museum is located in Woodland CA on I5. The Dan Best Ranch is due north about 6-7 miles on pretty good roads. My brother and I went to that museum on June 11 and a bunch of the machines had already been moved to the ranch for the show. There was one of those big steam power threshers in the museum when we were there. Don't know if that one was moved to the ranch later for the show. Can't believe that there are two of those beasts still in existence.

/ Neat Machine #5  
flusher said:
I saw that thingy last Sat at the Best Show on Tracks at the Dan Best ranch neary Knights Landing, CA. Lotsa neat stuff there. Old Holt and Best track layers and other traction engines in abundance.

DSCF0021Small.jpg

The two California companies, The Holt Manufacturing Co. of Stockton and Best Manufacturing Co. of San Leandro, merged in 1925 to form Caterpillar.

They had an old steam thresher working that day that attracted a lot of attention.

DSCF0049Small.jpg

Most of the large stuff came from the Heidrick Ag Museum in nearby Woodland, CA. Some of the West Coast antique tractor clubs hauled in their prize pieces to display at the show.

It was about 104F at noon so I lasted about an hour in that heat. Had a bad case of heat exhaustion in Sep06 so I have to be careful not to get dehydrated, which is easy to do with the RH near 0%.

I've always loved that orange tractor to the Left... I forget the model #...

Take care of your property, then go to town in the same vehicle.

What a hoot!

/ Neat Machine #6  
tderrick said:
I've always loved that orange tractor to the Left... I forget the model #...

Take care of your property, then go to town in the same vehicle.

What a hoot!

It's a Minneapolis Moline UDLX. They don't make them like that anymore. Don't think it was a really big seller.