Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #11  
These tests need to be saved and applied across the US not just Nebraska. Also <40hp tractors need to be tested as well in my opinion. lots of them sold. I would have looked at test results had they been available when we bought a new CUT. There is more to this testing than PTO and Drawbar power. They also measure operating temps at full load, fuel/oil use, any mecanical problems during operation and much more. I'd say any cut but not garden tractors should be tested.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #12  
Reading many of these posts makes my chuckle. Years ago when I was leading the design team that developed the first Bose car stereo, manufacters claims for many car stereos were outrageous. Many of the quality manufactures got together and formed an adhock commitee to generate testing requierements. I sat on this committee. We did this to clean up the inustry and try and stop the FTC from stepping it. The FTC had previously prolugated regulations for consumer audio amplifiers that in no way represented real use conditions and caused some real issues in the industry. The cost of compliance with these regulations was very high and prevented many smaller companies from getting products to market.

As far as the Nebraska tests go, they were developed to rate large equipment used in full time farming applications. They are very expensive to submit equipment to, when you consider the testing costs, the equipment costs and the cost of all the support personel that you need to dedicate a testing program. I don't believe that much fo this testing is relevent to consumer grade CUT's and is way overkill. Just read the testing requirement and you'll see what I mean. That is not to say that certain testing and compliance to certain requirements would not benefit the industry, I just don't believe that Nebraska type testing is the answer.

Just my thoughts.

Andy

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #13  
Why would it be important to know the correct rating for a stereo, speakers, etc. that represents maybe a couple hundred dollar investment to the average joe but not be important for the average joe spending 20-40k on a new compact tractor? An estimated 60-70% of the compact tractors out there would fail the Nebraska tests in relation to their stated hp claims. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #14  
A lot could be cleared up with a good dyno and a bunch of tractor owners for hp #'s. Fuel consumption isn't too important in CUT's and is a pain to measure in diesels because of the return to the tank. I did a lot of dyno work in school and the compensating flow meters are expensive and inaccurate.

I don't think CUT's need to be subjected to drawbar pull testing, as they aren't usually used for heavy drawbar work.