Buying Advice need a farm tractor

/ need a farm tractor #1  

horsecrazy13

Tractor
none
I am in need of a tractor for a small farm (14 acres) for mowing pastures and brush, scooping the manure pile, pulling a fertilizer/manure spreader, carrying/stacking round bales, plowing snow and other general farm things. Don't want anything too big and would like something used to reduce cost. Anyone have any suggestions on brands, sizes, how used is too used? I know nothing about tractors so any advice is appreciated!!

/ need a farm tractor #2  
I am in need of a tractor for a small farm (14 acres) for mowing pastures and brush, scooping the manure pile, pulling a fertilizer/manure spreader, carrying/stacking round bales, plowing snow and other general farm things. Don't want anything too big and would like something used to reduce cost. Anyone have any suggestions on brands, sizes, how used is too used? I know nothing about tractors so any advice is appreciated!!

hi and welcome to tbn. i am thinking a 35-45 hp tractor with a front end loader (fel) would fit your needs. here is a website you can use to search for used tractors to get some ideas and pricing.

Farm Equipment, Used Farm Equipment, Farm Equipment For Sale At TractorHouse.com

for a first time potential owner i would suggest a tractor with a hydrostat transmission (HST) which is driven simply by depressing a pedal in the direction you want to travel. want to go faster, push pedal down more. really simplifies things, especially for first time users and front end loader (fel) work. also get one from a dealer that you like as they will be a huge help to you along they way for when you have questions or need repairs or maintenance. that is about all i can tell you for now. next step is to go to a dealer and test some out. get the feel for tractors and you will see which ones you like better then others and which features you like. don't be afraid to ask questions. that is how everybody learns. good luck and enjoy shopping around. come back here to tbn with any more questions that you have along the way.

/ need a farm tractor #3  
Seems to me something in the 50+ HP range would be good for your needs. A tractor to handle large round bales will be good sized, depending on wrapped or dry and weight and will need rear weight in slippery conditions. That seams to be the controling factor in the size tractor you are looking for.

I like tractors in the 70's because they were new enough to be fuel efficient and had some safety features while at the same time retaining the heavy gears and housings and simple systems that are easy to work on. Parts are still readily available for most of the major brands if you have a good dealer nearby.

Massey 165 was a good tractor and the perkins diesel is hard to beat. I have a 135 which is an excellent little tractor but a little small for handeling round bales, the 165 would be a better choice.

John Deere 2020 was a new generation and while I never had one we had a 3020 and a 4020 for years and they were the go to tractors on a 50 head dairy farm for 30 years.

Another good choice would be Ford 4000, 4600, 4610. They were a nice series and very capable. I mowed with a 4000 for years and it was a nice tractor, although I never had a loader on it.

Someone else will have to chime in with newer models, with the price of used tractors I see in the classifieds ect, seams to me 0% financing for 60 to 84 months makes new look real attractive. I dream about a JD 5065E but reality is it won't cut the hay, or rake or bale it any faster than my Massey 135 and I could repair almost anthing on the massey for a couple of payments on the New JD.

/ need a farm tractor #4  
Whatever decision you make in regards to the make and model, be sure to include a FEL. You will never regret it. You will be surprised at the many various tasks that the FEL will be helpful for. Best wishes.

/ need a farm tractor #5  

i'd go for 40ish hp, and 4wd, loader, with a loader bucket bale spear, or quick change bucket / spear.

soundguy

/ need a farm tractor #6  
a 50hp tractor will do everything you want it todo an more.an you might as well get it with 4wd drive an fel.