need a new trailer for a L35

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #11  
John,

What kind of mileage do you get with that PowerStroke: towing and regular?

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #12  
I have a 20 foot 12,000lb Corn Pro. The Corn Pro is extremely well built and heavy duty for a decent price. Electric brakes on all four wheels. Make sure you have a decent brake controller too. My tractor will NOT fit an 18 foot trailer with the loader and brush hog on! Make sure you measure what you think you will use it for in the future!!! Better to overbuy than underbuy!! I traded in a 16 foot landscape trailer that was rated at 7,500lbs. I didn't like the way the thing flexed going down the road with my old B2150, loader and rotory cutter. Definitely a lighter weight trailer. The old tractor was 19 feet front to back with loader and sutter and had to hang over the front 3 feet. NOT ideal. Thats why I went with a 20 foot deck on the newer trailer. the L3010 with loader and rotory in just a tad over 19 feet. I tow with a '99 Ford Superduty crew cab with the Powerstroke. Used to tow my B2150 with my wifes '94 Suburban K2500 diesel which worked well. I get 16 to 17 in town regular driving, 20 highway with the Ford.

Brad, Kubota L3010HST, loader, R4 tires
Pictures at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=179207&a=9183978

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #13  
I get about 16 around town, 18-20 on the highway and a consistent 13 towing no matter what the condition.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #14  
Alan,
I would seriously consider the 10000lb GVW and 18' to 20'. I haul a L4310 with loader and backhoe and the extra length keeps everything on the trailer deck. The cost difference between a 10000lb and 7000lb GVW was about $300. Here in CA anything over 10000lb needs a CDL so I ordered a 20' tilt bed with dual 6500lb axles, maximum width, brakes and 8" channel from Star Lite Trailers in Claremore OK. The only differnce between this trailer and the 12000lb model was the number on the load rating plate. The price was $3500 with a 8000lb electric winch, battery, manual hydraulic tilt, stake pockets and rub rail. I haul a a few low cars so the tilt bed seems to work better for low cars than most car haulers.

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #15  
A typical wording of the CDL rules:
CDL required for "A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs."

So unless you are pulling the trailer with something other than a pickup, you are legal. There is also an exemption for farm vehicles within so many miles of the farm.

Pat

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #16  
Hi Pat,
I CA the CDL rules are pretty specific. Here is a copy from the DMV web page.

<font color=blue>A commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination used for hire to transport passengers or property or which:

- Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more
- Is designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers, including the driver
- Tows a vehicle or trailer, which has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more
- Transports hazardous materials, which requires placards
- Tows any combination of two trailers or vehicle and trailer

<font color=black> I am not sure if other states are as specific. As ususal CA picks some strange things to enforce. My contractor says he gets pulled over about every 3 months to check his CDL while pulling a 12000lb debris trailer that is the same size. Hope this helps.

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #17  
Thats strange, I thought the rules were far more uniform than that. At work we have a small number of people with CDLs, and operate across the SE (FL, AL, MS, GA, NC, SC, TN and KY). We only have to comply with the over 12,000 GVWR / over 26000 GCWR, unless you are operating a tow vehicle with air brakes, so I think it's safe to say that that is the rule in all of the SE states. I know it is in AL and GA, the latter being where I got the quote from.

You can always have a heavier trailer rated at a lower rating (by the manufacturer), as long as you know you won't get caught over loaded.

Pat