Need a pump for deisel fuel

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I was given a fuel tank from a reefer. I plan on mounting it on a cheap Harbor Freight trailer and use it as a fueling station. I would prefer a 12v pump to get the fuel into the tractor, but don稚 want to spend a lot of money. Some are over $300. Does anyone have experience with the economy pumps under $150?

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel #2  
I have one of the $65 pumps with nozzle. Works great. They don't come with an auto shutoff nozzle at that price point but I've recently seen some auto nozzles fir $20 ish.

I will follow up with links next time I get on my computer.

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel #3  
Thinking outside the box - I see you show a Deere 855 in your profile. So fuel tank capacity 6.6 gallons?

This little $25 pump runs on two D cells and is rated 2.25 gallons per minute. A complete fill would be under 3 minutes, less if you didn't run the tank dry. But you do have to pump downhill or level, not higher than the motor in the top.
https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-Pow...eywords=Battery-Operated+Liquid+Transfer+Pump

I bought one to pump from a 5 gallon jug I set on the hood. It's excellent.

I think these are used in Japan, Korea etc to refill indoor kerosene space heaters so there is a float in the tip to stop the pump when the destination is full and never make a mess.

There are various versions, from HF up to this top quality model. but I recommend get the self-shutoff feature. Also this one is slender enough to go into an old Blitz jug while some versions are too large.

51DFGF4qj1L._AC_UL115_.jpg

Last edited:
   / Need a pump for deisel fuel #4  
I opted for a manual piston pump instead. My thoughts were the added flexibility of being able to put the tank anywhere and always be able to pump from it without having to pop a hood and run cables to a battery. I bought this one from TSC. Dual flow pump It's very well built and I can count the number of strokes to approximate fuel dispensed.

I think an electric one is overkill for pumping 6-10 gallons at a time. And buying a cheap electric one at that, just means you'll be buying another pump later on.

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel
Thinking outside the box - I see you show a Deere 855 in your profile. So fuel tank capacity 6.6 gallons?

This little $25 pump runs on two D cells and is rated 2.25 gallons per minute. A complete fill would be under 3 minutes, less if you didn't run the tank dry. But you do have to pump downhill or level, not higher than the motor in the top.
https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-Pow...eywords=Battery-Operated+Liquid+Transfer+Pump

I think these are used in Japan, Korea etc to refill indoor kerosene space heaters so there is a float in the tip to stop the pump when the destination is full and never make a mess.

There are various versions, from HF up to this top quality model. but I recommend get the self-shutoff feature. Also this one is slender enough to go into an old Blitz jug while some versions are too large.

Thanks for posting this. It would not work with my fueling station concept as I would need to pump uphill from the trailer to the tractor fill pipe...but if I stay with 5 gal jugs it will be a huge improvement.

I just bought two. One for the house garage to fill my generator, snow blower and backpack blower. The other will go in the pole barn to fill the lawn tractor, log splitter, tractor and other toys.

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel #6  

I have a couple of these and they are great and cheap.

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel #7  

I also have a Ford New Holland 575E, 28 gallon capacity, and a MEP-803A Diesel Generator. The generator only holds 9 gallons but I keep two 55 gallon drums of reserve fuel in case of a long outage. I go through about 300 gallons per year for various uses and I have it delivered so no toting 5 gallon cans for anything.

This unit for $65 is similar to the one I have. The nozzel that comes with them is not the automatic shutoff type like you see at a gas station so you just have to be mindful not to overfill the tank.

pump01.jpg

I also made a pickup tube for the 55 gallon drum out of PVC. I needed a little more reach on the hose and the limber pickup hose it came with was a pain so I made a pickup tube for my drums. A 2" pipe thread will screw right in the metal drum hole so I used a 2" NPT thread to slip fit coupling and reduced it with a 2" to 3/4" slip fit reducer. I used a round file to remove the lip in the 3/4" part and to take the taper out so a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe would slide through that part. The outside diameter on 3/4" PVC pipe is a little over 1" so the diesel hose will fit over it. I cut a short piece off the hose to fit the inlet fitting that came with the pump kit to the bottom and set the depth to be a couple of inches off the bottom of the drum. This will work great for topping up my tractor tanks as I use the fuel off. Having the pickup off the bottom will protect from picking up water if I get any condensation. I will periodically check for water by pumping directly off the bottom with a fuel pump I have setup with a metal tube on it. I vented the drums with a filtered air compressor muffler screwed into the 3/4" vent hole in them. Some will argue this will cause condensation to form but I have seen drums distort from expansion and contraction due to weather changes. I prefer to keep the drums vented and I will monitor for water in the fuel.

PU-tube1.jpg

PU-tube2.jpg

You can add an auto shutoff nozzle for $21.

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel
I opted for a manual piston pump instead. My thoughts were the added flexibility of being able to put the tank anywhere and always be able to pump from it without having to pop a hood and run cables to a battery. I bought this one from TSC. Dual flow pump It's very well built and I can count the number of strokes to approximate fuel dispensed.

I think an electric one is overkill for pumping 6-10 gallons at a time. And buying a cheap electric one at that, just means you'll be buying another pump later on.

Another good option if I stay with the 50 gal tank! Thanks

/ Need a pump for deisel fuel #10  
Here's what I built, and used, before going back to 5 gallon jugs and the little 'kerosene heater' type battery pump.

This turned out to be not as convenient as I hoped.

Pros:
* Easy to roll next to the tractors and easy to pump. 15 revolutions per gallon. No electricity needed.
* Inexpensive. $29 at Harbor Freight + $5 for the tank. (Had carwash detergent).
* A very valuable feature: crank forward to pump, backward to suck. Several times I 'stole' a few gallons of fuel out of the larger tractor that is seldom run, to put in the little tractor and run a few more days without going to town for fuel.

Cons:
* The main reason I went back to Blitz jugs: the only local gas station with farm (untaxed) diesel recognized me and would no longer sell fuel into a non-DOT container. He said he faced significant fines if he did. His counter looked right out toward the pumps.
* I had to hitch up my trailer to make a fuel run. Blitz jugs fit in my Subaru but this was too tall.
* The plastic at the bung threads softened and wouldn't hold the pump upright after a couple of years.

So I sold it and went to the little battery pump. I'm getting too old to pour from a 5 gallon jug into the filler on top of the cowl without spilling!

265863d1337457720-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-p1670121rfuelcaddy-jpg