Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #21  
I have a set up like airbiscut. Rear pull blower and works well. I also have my blade mounted on a SSQA adaptor so I have a blade at the front.

I saved about $3-4000 over getting a front blower. BTW the front blower on a decent size machine needs a sub frame and that is a PITA...plus you need a place to store the subframe.

Do not take advice from guys who live in an area with less than 50” of snow a year....if you get 100” a year. I get 120” a year so that gives you some perspective.

If you have a place to push snow, the best option is a beater pickup with a plow. I had $3500 in mine, but got tired of 8’ banks of snow. Nothing is faster and you have a heated cab.

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #22  
If you seldom get snowfalls over 18", a rear pull snowblower will work fine with a 40hp+ tractor. If you get 24"+ snowfalls or heavy drifting, then there are better options.YMMV

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #23  
Have you considered a Ventrac? I don't own one, but there are plenty of videos of them doing pretty much what you describe.

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #24  
I am looking to purchase a 30-40 hp tractor. Have 12 acres bush to play with. However my major requirement is that it has a front mount snow blower. Now in my sixties and not being able to clear the driveway may force me to move to town in 10 years. Don't want that to happen. Would like to have a tlb. Will use a bush hog, post hole digger, loader at some point. Maybe a grapple.
Any help is appreciated.
I have a JD 3046R with a mid mount PTO that would handle the front snow blower

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #25  
I am looking to purchase a 30-40 hp tractor. Have 12 acres bush to play with. However my major requirement is that it has a front mount snow blower. Now in my sixties and not being able to clear the driveway may force me to move to town in 10 years. Don't want that to happen. Would like to have a tlb. Will use a bush hog, post hole digger, loader at some point. Maybe a grapple.
Any help is appreciated.

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #26  
When purchasing my last tractor, I had some of the same requirements/desires as you. Also like you, I'm in my sixties, mid-60's. I ended up with a JD 3046R with factory cab (heat, air and stereo) and loader, air suspension seat, front mounted snow blower, and a bush hog. I then added a grapple and forks.

Snow blowing is enjoyable and warm. I had the dealer I use fabricate spout control (up and down) to better direct where snow ends up. They mounted a hydraulic cylinder, metered it and using button on joystick.

The only thing I don't like about the 3046 is the thing seems to be a little more tippy than I'd like. I do know you can purchase wheel spacers but would also need to find a larger snow blower. The areas I blow snow from and the neighbors I assist, are pretty level ... so no issues there. The tippy part comes in on some of the areas I bush hog once or twice a year.

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #27  
Here's my 25c worth of opinion. I am near Collingwood Ontario so lots of snow here, but you should take into account that the quantity of snow falling every year is diminishing. I've got a Massey GC2300 which is a good tractor and has served me well but I won't buy another Massey because of the obscene cost of parts. I've got a pair of small 1980's Kubotas as well and the prices for parts are reasonable. One has a front mount blower, is 13HP, and clears snow as well as its bigger siblings. I think JD's are good machines and they have many enthusiasts, but also expensive. Before you decide on a manufacturer, look into the price of common parts. If you are buying from a dealer, take into account the distance to the shop that will provide support. A lot of buyers base their decision on the distance to dealer.

There was an earlier comment that you need huge horsepower to run a front mount snowblower. Not so. Even BX1800's can run a FMSB. I can relate to your desire for a front mount; rear mounts are not to my preference although lots of folks in Ontario run rear mounts.

If you don't get large snowfalls, the rear blade mentioned earlier is also a good option.

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #28  
I have had a 2007 JD 3320 Cab for some years now. It is used to clear maybe 300' gravel driveway + maybe 5,000 sq ft parking area. The 33xx series comes in IIRC approx 30 - 40+ hp versions. Not sure regarding current models. I have FEL with 5' bucket on front and 5' rear mounted 2-stage Snow Blower on back with hydraulic chute. I also have the mid-PTO - midpoint mower. The mid-PTO can be added aftermarket at the dealer if not OEM. Initially I had JD 447 Back Hoe, but currently have Wallenstein Back Hoe. Iinstallation of either back Hoe requires removal of the 3-PT hitch. The Wallenstein is a bit easier to install than the JD version, but either can be a bit tedious. Not physically hard, just have to get everything lined up perfectly. 95% of the time not as easy as in the demo videos. For Back Hoe operation you also need "power beyond" with JD. Not sure of name for other brands. Basically a direct connection to the hydraulic system to power the BH. If purchasing new mid-PTO / Power Beyond have a cost, but if you purchase used and need to add - even more $$$$. A front mount SB will be considerably more expensive than rear mount.

Despite having to look backwards, the blower / bucket makes a reasonably good snow combination. For light snow, the bucket is often easier. the bucket cn be used to pile snow in areas where blowing does not work and can be used to backdrop snow away from building and other areas where blowing does not work. The lip of the blower can be adjusted upward to minimize gravel pickup for first few snows until a packed base is established or same with the bucket. I have seen a few commercial contractors with the same line tractor with front mounted blower and rear box blade using for home owner / small parking lots & municipal sidewalk clearing. The from blowers have hydraulic chute / deflector controls.

Rural Ontario cover a lot of territory, so not sure of your annual snowfall or length of driveway. It's more a question of how much at any given time. At some times there are drifts in my parking area up to 2' & the 3320 is able to handle them. Just go a bit slower. To minimize lawn damage, I have Turf Tires. So far no winter problem in almost 15 years. I usually do 3 passes on the driveway (overlap) ending up with maybe 12' - 13' cleared width.

When looking for a suitable tractor, in your case almost a "swiss army knife" that does everything consider your FEL lifting needs. No problem lifting a full 5' bucket of gravel. I find a set of pallet fork invaluable. The FEL will just barely lift a cubic metre bag of "black dirt" that many places sell (approx 2,000# + 2,200#) so if you need greater lifting capacity you may have to step up to the next line for stronger hydraulics. Look at max lift height for the FEL and if adequate for your purpose. The 33xx one is good for 8+ ft.

When looking at Back Hoe, digging power is partially a function of the tractor hydraulics, but also consider bucket width and digging depth required. 3-PT Hitch mounted Back Hoe are not recommended.

If you plan on using a Snow Blower, front or rear you will definitely want a CAB. The videos showing a bright sunny day, no wind and the snow blowing off in a rainbow are mostly a myth. Chances are it will be cloudy, cold and the wind will be blowing - always in a direction that blows the snow right back in your face (if no cab). It only took me one winter to realize, no cab is not the solution for winter. Visualize huddled in your snowmobile outfit, wind & snow blowing in your face - freezing you ass vs sitting in a nice warm cab enjoying a hot coffee.

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #29  
Any help is appreciated.
Hi, I have a 2006 Kubota B3030 with cab, purchased new with FEL and a Kubota 63" front mount snowblower powered by the mid PTO. I run a Landpride 60" brush mower during the summer. I am now 69 years old and have loved my set up, maintaining a 1500 ft long gravel driveway and about 4,500 sq. ft. of gravel dooryard. I am located 5 miles from the CT River, in Etna, NH. When there is snow on the ground, I have little use for the FEL so the changeover for winter snow takes me less than an hour, and the same for changing back to the FEL. Ideally, I wait for there to be 8" t 12" of snow before venturing out since the effort for that amount is the same as for 2-3". I have awakened to surprise 24" snowfalls and this machine handles this with ease. The tractor replaced a Ford F250 with a plow and I have never regretted this replacement (well, maybe after multiple 3 inch snowfalls), but I run with an angled 6 ft. blade on the back of the tractor and windrow the lighter snowfalls to make only a single pass with the blower. During the years of plowing with a truck, I used to have significant washouts during January thaws when the water had nowhere to run other than down the steep driveway. Gravel driveways and any snowblower can be an issue, especially in the late fall and late winter if the ground thaws, and the blower will throw its share of gravel which can be hard on the high speed impeller housing. Three years ago, at a cost of $450, I had a local welder/fabricator reline the curved interior of the impeller housing and the blower has a new life. The only other modification that I have had to do was to add 2" rear wheel spacers and chains 3 years ago as my R4 tires worn slightly, combined with a couple of icy years in a row. It takes me more time to properly put the chains on than it does to swap out the blower or FEL. I have not kept up with what Kubota replaced the B3030HSDC, so do not know if there is a similar machine available.

/ Need advice on 30 -40hp tractor purchase #30  
I have a B3020 with front mount and hydraulic shoot, auger is midmount pto driven. It has a subframe on it with a cylinder to raise and lower. Changing from FEL to blower is about a 10 minute job. No issues whatsoever with changing.