Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you're looking for dealer support I'd stick with Deere, Kubota, maybe NH or Case if they have a strong dealer near you. No way I would go with Kioti, Mahindra, etc. They just don't have the dealer networks. Now people will say you can get them fixed, etc. but most of these dealerships do not have factory mechanics, ready availability of parts, and dealerships are usually pretty scattered apart. Your area may differ I'm just commenting from my area on these tractors. )</font>

I've seen a lot of big three dealers close in my area over the last 20 years. Some of the most reliable dealerships are the brands you consider unreliable for some strange reason. There is a Mahindra/MF dealer that has sold MFs for decades, and added the Mahindra line in the 90's. This family dealership is very unlikely to disappear overnight. The guy sells a lot of Mahindras and a lot of Masseys. The guy is very successful selling the Mahindras because he and his family have been in business for years, and have developed a great rapport with the clientele. People know they will get great service from this family, no matter what brand they are purchasing.

Another local dealership sells Farmtracs, and has been selling Long tractors for thirty years. During that same time frame they sold IH tractors, then Case-IH tractors, but no longer sell because of the CNH merger. They went with McCormick, which is a by-product of the CNH merger, and are very pleased with the response from the local farmers. The get a lot of trade-ins that they sold when they were IH and C-IH dealers. With decades in the business the customers come to them to get equipment, because they provide great service, not because of the brands they sell.

A third local dealership sold Ford tractors for decades, but gave up the NH dealership two-years ago to go strictly with Kubota, at least for the present time. They haven't lost any business by dropping the NH brand, as people continue to purchase tractors from them, as they can count on good service no matter what they purchase.

A fourth local dealership has picked up the LG Montana brand, to go with the other brands they sell. These people have been in business for years, and are selling these tractors based upon the reputation they have built selling the Long/Farmtrac brand, which they continue to sell, and providing dependable service.

The point is that in this age of mergers you do not know who is going to be with what brand in the future. It is far more important to base a purchase on the rep of the dealer, than the longevity of the product being sold in the US.

Sure John Deere has a great dealer network, but it isn't like JD dealers haven't closed their doors. The 4720 is without a doubt a nice machine. The problem is that the poster wants to be in the $20K range and the 4720 is going to be well above that price.

When you go with the Mahindra, Kioti, etc., you get a lot more bang for the buck. The people that own those tractors seem to be just as pleased with the performance of their tractors as the John Deere, NH and Kubota owners do with their tractors.

I've seen few complaints posted here at TBN about any brand, regardless of manufacturer. IMO, that speaks volumes about the quality of tractors being produced these days. There is a tremendous difference in the tractors being sold today and those that were sold 25-35 years ago, when some of the more economically priced brands first showed up in the US.

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've seen a lot of big three dealers close in my area over the last 20 years. Some of the most reliable dealerships are the brands you consider unreliable for some strange reason. There is a Mahindra/MF dealer )</font>

Though not 'spoken' it is pretty much 'given' that MF is inthe same list as the 'big 3' when it comes to support options.

Also.. the other issue with big 3 tractors is that dealer serive is available.. somewhere .

Even if a dealership closes.. your tractor can theoretically still be supported by the next closest dealer... While it is possible for individual dealerships to close.. it is very unlikely for the entire 'brand' to fold, leaving you with an orphaned tractor.

This is in contrast to some other brands.. for instance.. purchasing a chinnese tractor from a small dealer, and then having them close.. means you probably lose out on 'labor' warranty.. ( though parts warranty will probably be picked up by another dealer.. begrudgingly.. or not. )

Soundguy

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is in contrast to some other brands.. for instance.. purchasing a chinnese tractor from a small dealer, and then having them close.. means you probably lose out on 'labor' warranty.. ( though parts warranty will probably be picked up by another dealer.. begrudgingly.. or not. ) )</font>

From what I have seen the Chinese tractor market is pretty much self-service with some of the here today, gone tomorrow dealers. I wouldn't advocate anyone purchase one of those machines, unless they were prepared to take care of their own service.

There is a tremendous difference between the Korean built machines and the Chinese built machines.

I am confident that the Mahindra and Kioti lines are here to stay for the long haul. I think, like Kubota, at some point they will catch up with the JD, NH, MF in terms of pricing.

Mahindra has been in existence for a very long time, and has built tractors for much of their existence. They are not some overnight startup.

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There is a tremendous difference between the Korean built machines and the Chinese built machines.
)</font>

I wasn't making a comparison between korean and chinees built machines. .. I simply used a chineese built machine as an example of a dealer network that changes like 'water'.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mahindra has been in existence for a very long time, and has built tractors for much of their existence. They are not some overnight startup )</font>

I never indicated they were. Around my area.. they are simply priced too high to be great competition to the big 3. In fact.. a couple of the big 3 dealers around here also sell mahindra.. and generally price them just under their 'comparable' unit.. sometimes within a thousand to two. At that point.. it doesn't make much sense to NOT get the big 3 unit.

It would be nice if the mahindra's were affordable in this area.. I like their look. case/MF-esque. Speaking of MF... they are sometimes cheaper than mahindra.. depending on what model people have on display... go figure..

As for other.. like Kioti.. I think they are here to stay as well... just need more dealers..

Soundguy

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please #25  
I see that you are getting plenty of help here... or is it just more confusion...
Do you have any pics of what you are working with, they sure would be helpful.
Is it fair to assume that you live in NYC and will be working the land on the weekends... do you have a place to store the equipment, or will it be carted back and forth...
Any thought as to how you want to mow the lawn... MidMount, 3pt grooming or if it's really uneven how about a flail mower. Choices in this area helps to define how much hp you need. What do yo feel would be the maximum width of cut you would be comfortable with...
You have a great budget... but from experience one size won't do it all. FEL's make clumbsy mowers over rough ground... if you want to cut a lot fast.

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 70 acres is a pretty big piece of land to maintain depending on how much you like to "dress up" the land.

Ditto on what cowboydoc said, except that if price is a stickler, you might look for a used JD 4710.

We have two tractors and honestly, if I had to keep just one, I would keep the bigger 5420 and let the brush grow up between the tight spots in our "woods". )</font>

I agree with this info except I'm not such a Deere supporter in the Ag arena, While Deere makes good machines, around here Deere Ag has probably the worst dealer support. Kubota and New Holland have the best. I would buy a large CUT (40 to 45 hp) or a small utility tractor (60 to 75 hp) and be done with it. wth long term low rate financing you 'll be glad you did. 20-25 hp tractors while nice on small properties will feel like a toy on 70 acres. Ask me I had a Ford 1710 (27 hp I think) on 76 acres and couldn't wait to get a larger machine. I also spent many years on an 8N and while ok for mowing, it doesn't hold a candle to even a 30 hp 4wd CUT. I also plowed many New England blizzards with an 8N from the time I was 8 and I'm lucky I didn't get killed.

Andy

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please
Hello, first off please let me thank everyone for the replies. As you can tell, I am new to tractors. The land is in upstate NY. It has a nice Barn, but the floor will not take the weight of a tractor. An atv, yes, a tractor, no.

I did not realize when I bought the place that I would need such a large piece of equipment. For now, I'll have to keep it in the garage. I can have a shed put up over the summer.

I will try to post some pics, but the ones I have now show the property covered in snow. All of the land is hilly, much of it with gentle grades, but quite a few steep areas also. Behind the house, the elevation changes by 50' (rise) over the course of a 250' horizontal (run). Also, the terrain is uneven.
My primary task will be to keep the 5 acrs of grass cut and to cut trails 2-3times a year through the overgrown fields, Having never had a FEL, I don't know what I'll use it for, but if I have learned anything from reading old posts, its that I WILL use it, LOL.
I am currently in CT and will be moving full time to upstate NY. I won't be farming the property, but I would like to reclaim some the apple and cherry trees that have been overgrown. Other than that, it's just yard and trail maintenance.

The hills had me considering and articulating tractor, such as the powertrac 1430. Being a newbie, I am worried about the lack of dealer support. I am going to look the models mentioned.

John Deere is probably the closest, biggest dealer. Un fortunately, from what he is telling me, none of the JD tractors in the $20,000 range will be very good at mowing on hills and brushhogging.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please #28  
Not entirerly true, A Deere 990 would do it. At 20K for tractor and FEL. Implements would be more and the tractor is all gear all of the time. Its 40 hp.

If you are set on Greene and on a budget, then look that way.

You should SERIOUSLY spend some time at tractor dealerships of DIFFERENT colors. Talk to the people there. They know tractors, by your own admission, you dont. Even if you dont choose X color, you might learn somthing that will affect the way you are looking at things. I am not a person to reccomend to much tractor. You buy what your wallet can stand.

/ Need advice on a good first utility tractor-Please
I am not sold on the JD. I'll consider any make. I was told by the previous owner that a gear tractor would be a mistake. He traded in a larger JD gear tractor for his model 4100 with HST. He said the gear tractor was very tough to work with arounf the plantings and on the hills.