Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #1  

monteu

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010
I have a couple questions.....sort of new working with my tractor. I am removing a large evergreen type bush. It is actually two bushes together. What is the best way to remove the stumps? I have a FEL with grapple on my Kioti DK5010, but I don't have any bucket teeth.

The area where I am doing this is approx 24' x 24'. I am going to put a carport there. So I need to level it and spread some rock. I don't have any attachments yet for the tractor, but definitely need something for snow this winter as I have a drive way I need to keep clear for trucks coming in.

Is a three point blade what I need? Can I use that to level and smooth out the carport pad? What about a box blade? What should I have for snow removal? We don't get lots of snow here, but last year was 40 inches which was way above normal. Some years are only a couple times that we need to clear snow.

Thanks

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #2  
I am unsure of how large your bush/bushes are, but I had a similar situation and removed the bush by wrapping a chain around the base, hooking it to my drawbar, and pulling the bush out, roots and all. I then filled the hole with topsoil and went from there. Would that work in your situation?

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #3  
I'd probably use a chain too, on the drawbar.. but you can't go balls to the wall with it, if the chain breaks in the right/wrong place it can kill. Be careful, a lot of energy right there..
Not to mention the tractor raring up and falling backwards..

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #4  
I'd probably use a chain too, on the drawbar.. but you can't go balls to the wall with it, if the chain breaks in the right/wrong place it can kill. Be careful, a lot of energy right there..
Not to mention the tractor raring up and falling backwards..
This brings up and interesting question, and maybe someone smarter than me can answer it: I understand about the risks of a chain breaking; I probably should have mentioned that. But I was taught that the drawbar is below the axle line, and so the geometry pushes the front axle down when pulling weight, and that prevents it from rearing up. Is that incorrect?

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #5  
I certainly believe the draw bar is the safest place to pull a stationary object with, but the possibility of harm will always be there. To many people have been injured and died to kid ourselves..

Chains have killed many folks. I try to use a very heavy chain that my tractor would have a hard time breaking.

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #6  
If you have two entwined "bushes", then I'd say that you have "roots", not a "stump". Therefore a modest (5/16) chain should be strong enough to pull the bushes out of the ground, roots and all....attached to the drawbar of your 50 HP Kioti. You might wet down the roots a couple days before.

And if you have a choice for one attachment, be it a little snow or whatever, I'd get a box blade over a rear blade.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #7  
This brings up and interesting question, and maybe someone smarter than me can answer it: I understand about the risks of a chain breaking; I probably should have mentioned that. But I was taught that the drawbar is below the axle line, and so the geometry pushes the front axle down when pulling weight, and that prevents it from rearing up. Is that incorrect?
That's mostly true. There are some situations that it can still cause it to tip over backwards, due to the torque on the rear wheels.

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #8  

Draw bar is the safest and best way to go. As for preventing front end lift, NO it will not. Watch a tractor pull and see if the front ends do not come up.

For chain safety; first inspect the chain. I was once asked to pull out a pine tree by friend. He said he had a chain, just bring your tractor. Looking over his chain, many links were ground part way off, some even to a "D" shape. I told him, not with that chain. He did admit he had towed some things on the road with it and it did drag a lot on the road.

Next wrap a heavy mover's blanket around the chain. It will absorb some of the energy if the chain snaps and might keep it from whipping back at the tractor.

A nylon recovery strap might be a better option than a chain.

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal #9  
I've heard of many wire cables killing people but haven't heard of a chain due the energy quickly dissipating through the links.

/ Need Advice on Blade and Stump Removal
If you have two entwined "bushes", then I'd say that you have "roots", not a "stump". Therefore a modest (5/16) chain should be strong enough to pull the bushes out of the ground, roots and all....attached to the drawbar of your 50 HP Kioti. You might wet down the roots a couple days before.

And if you have a choice for one attachment, be it a little snow or whatever, I'd get a box blade over a rear blade.

Cheers,
Mike

I was thinking a rear blade because I could "push" snow. A box blade is good for clearing a drive and also leveling a small pad?