Need advice on buying a Kubota G 1800

/ Need advice on buying a Kubota G 1800 #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
Hello to all, my next door neighbor is selling his 1992 Kubota G1800 lawn tractor, its pretty nice with 400 hours, 48 inch deck, and Kubota roto tiller. It is two wheel drive, and 2 wheel steering 16hp engine I think.

The tractor is very nice but not perfect, some corrosion on the mower deck, and a few scratches here and there, but overall 90% or so. I am trying to tune in on a fair price to offer for it, not a steal but sort of the average retail price with roto tiller. Your opinions on value are appreciated.

Also, on the PTO, I think i read somewhere that the output shaft turns at a much higher rate than normal, so only Kubota attachements (expensive) can be used-Is this correct? I had hoped to pull a small aftermarket brush hog if the normal deck cannot handle some tall grass situations.

All comments are appreciated on this machine

/ Need advice on buying a Kubota G 1800
OK, after reading everything I could find, I am tuning in on a "fair" (its a neighbor who i like, and I just want a fair price, not a steal) is maybe 2300$ foro the 1992 G1800, and another $500 for the tiller, for a total of $2800. Comments? high or low? any comments appreciated.

I have learned that not all of these g1800 have PTO's but that is maybe not such a big deal because they are an odd ball 2000rpm non standard design that will not take any other implements other than those designed for this tractor (stinks), although non rotating attachments like blades and such should still work?

/ Need advice on buying a Kubota G 1800 #3  
19 year old 2wd ride-on mower .............. too old . If you were a relative
he'd probably just give it you , but as a neighbour , he wants to sell
it to you ....... no .

/ Need advice on buying a Kubota G 1800 #5  
I would say your in the ball park on the value as that is a great machine that is near bullet proof.

/ Need advice on buying a Kubota G 1800 #6  
I recently saw an AWS model on craigslist in Oklahoma advertised at $2600. My guess is that with some negotiation, that price could be negotiated down. Sometimes when you wave cash in front of somebody's face, they make a better deal. 400 hours is nothing on that engine. Mine has 1700 hours and is going strong, purring like a new one. The mower is certainly worth $2300, but I think the tiller is an albatross. If you have experience seeing it perform satisfactorily and know that you would use it enough to get payback, then it would be okay, but I'd try to negotiate for a $2500 package deal.

I think you'll find the front tires and maybe the rear ones too will need replacement just from being old. You'll need to pull the deck completely off and check spindles and blades. I found the deck needed greasing badly on mine even though it was still tight. Also the front axle pivot is a place easily missed when greasing. The nice thing about these mowers is you can still get all the repair parts from messicks.com online or your local Kubota dealer.:thumbsup:

Why is your neighbor selling the G1800? Knowing that could help you negotiate as well. I know he's your neighbor, but you are his neighbor too. Make your best deal and don't look back.

Oops! The craigslist ad was not from Oklahoma, but Denison, TX. Here is the listing, note that it is AWS, 498 hours, 54" deck

/ Need advice on buying a Kubota G 1800 #7  
That's about what I payed last fall for a used one with the bagger,, Nice unit the wife just loves it.. The only problem is towing a trailer with it,, :( all kinds of power but no traction,,

Hi, thanks for all the input. "too old to buy" comment: It is for some. I have two other Kubotas , and it is a matter of goals, in my opinion. If the goal is to never have to work on it and just mow, then it is to old. After nineteen years, even if it was never used, certain parts and seals will be old and possibly cause some trouble, and if you have to rely on dealer service, you will probably be unhappy.

On the other hand, if you have a capacity to work on these things, then you get to enjoy a much nicer and more capable machine for way less than the price of new. Just my opinion, and I do appreciate all the comments.

On the other hand, at last count I am up to about 17 motorized things that can travel, so clearly I have a problem and should seek professional help, fyi....

OK the report back is that the neighbor and I settled at $2500 so I think everyone is happy, It may not be the best deal ever but I have known the machine since new and know that nothing is wrong with it, so that always worth alot. Happily I learned he had just had it completely serviced, all fluids, but i probably will not be happy until I have done it myself to know its really been done, but it did include a set of new tires so that is great, and also a new spare mower belt, and a few other parts. thanks for the help and I am sure I will be back in my quest to get it in top shape.