Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I'm restoring a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF gasser and plan to trailer it to tractor club events when it's ready to go.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/vintage-tractors/136417-minneapolis-moline-bf.html

If I hang the rear wheel weights on it, the BF will tip the scales around 4500 lb. Track width is 57" measured to rear wheel outer walls.

I have a 2001 F150 (regular cab, 4x2, automatic tranny, long bed, 4.6L gasser, 3.55 rear axle, 93000 miles) that's supposed to be able to handle up to 7200 lb of trailer weight. The F150 has the factory BP towing package.

I could invest in an 18-20ft BP equipment trailer and use the F150.

But I'd like to check out the F250 with a 20-ft GN as an option. There are plenty of F250's on craigslist and the prices are attractive.

Question: what should I be looking for in the F250 (engine size, diesel/gas?, tranny, rear end, towing pkg, etc)?

Question: which GNs should I be looking at? I'd like to be able to haul my 1964 MF-135 diesel that has 83" track width measured at the rear tire outer walls.

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #2  
Be VERY CAREFUL when looking at F250 diesels in the context of gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers.
I don't have any numbers in my head, but as I recall by the time the additional weight of the diesel and 4x4 are added in the remaining payload (to rated GVW) is very little, so little that 4 or 5 times that number (20 to 25% pin weight) makes for a very lightweight loaded trailer.

IOW Pin weight is limited by payload limit and on F250 diesels this is what will getcha.

For anything with a 7ft track (OK, 6' 11") you will be looking at a bed over.

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #3  
If you are only planning to haul that tractor with a max of 4500 lbs, a F250 and GN trailer is overkill. IMHO, I would just get a BP in 18-20' with either 7K or 10K rating. If you ever decide the F150 is not enough, then find and F250 to use with the BP. A BP would have no problems with that weight and you will save the cost of a $400 GN hitch.

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #4  
I would get a GN in the 10k range and pull it with the F150, then you could upgrade trucks at a later time if you wish.

If you could narrow up the MF even an inch you wouldn't need a deck over

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #5  
I really do not think you need a new truck for a tractor of that weight. A good BP trailer will only weigh 2,000# so you will be under the limit by a good amount.

Chris

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #6  
Be VERY CAREFUL when looking at F250 diesels in the context of gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers.
I don't have any numbers in my head, but as I recall by the time the additional weight of the diesel and 4x4 are added in the remaining payload (to rated GVW) is very little, so little that 4 or 5 times that number (20 to 25% pin weight) makes for a very lightweight loaded trailer.

IOW Pin weight is limited by payload limit and on F250 diesels this is what will getcha.

For anything with a 7ft track (OK, 6' 11") you will be looking at a bed over.

My 94 F250 Powerstroke, 4x4 Supercab has a GVWR of 8800 lbs. Fully loaded with fuel and me in it, it weighs around 6300. Even if the hitch weighed 200 lbs, that'd still leave 2300 lbs payload to spare. (BTW the rear axle rating is 6084 lbs). Published payload was around 2800 lbs I believe but of course that's empty.

So if you had a pin weight of 2000 lbs, and that was 20% of the trailer, the trailer could weigh 10,000 lbs...That, plus the weight of the truck, would probably approach the GCWR. Of course, many folks haul much more than that.

Here are some heavier loads: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f32/heavy-load-pics-224206/

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #7  
Same thing with my 2004 F-250 PS 4x4. Its has a 10,000# GVWR and weighs 7,500# with me in it leaving 2,500# of payload/pin weight.

My 2006 F-350 SRW PS 4x4 has a 11,500# GVWR and weighs 7,600# leaving 3,900# of payload/pin weight.

Either way, your F-150 will get the job done for your current needs but if you will be needing more in the future now may be the time to buy. Do not get the 5.4L in a SuperDuty. Get either the V-10 or a diesel.

Chris

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #8  
I would get a GN in the 10k range and pull it with the F150, then you could upgrade trucks at a later time if you wish.

If you could narrow up the MF even an inch you wouldn't need a deck over

He stated the larger tractor is 83" wide at the rear tires. The front tires are often set narrower. The rear tires won't even go past the fenders when loaded. Most BPs are around 84-87" between fenders.

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #9  
He stated the larger tractor is 83" wide at the rear tires. The front tires are often set narrower. The rear tires won't even go past the fenders when loaded. Most BPs are around 84-87" between fenders.

My BP trailer is exactly 83" between the fenders as most are. His 83" wide tractor would fit but he'd have to be exactly centered. The majority of GN trailers are deckovers which are much wider (usually in the 102-103" range).

For the two tractors mentioned and the weight he needs to tow, his F150 with a BP trailer such as mine with 83" between the fenders would work.

If he wants to upgrade, a 3/4T truck and a 20' 10-12K GN deckover trailer would work fine. The truck could be gas but a diesel would tow easier. Either would work.

/ Need advice on F250 and gooseneck trailer combo #10  
Diffidently doable on an equipment trailer drop deck style. Did it myself for years. Just keep in mind you will have a 1/2" to spare on either side. If you don't have anyone to help load will you be OK will scrapping the fenders now and then? If you would rather have a drop deck I would test load on other trailer somewhere first to make sure it will work.
I went to get a Farmall H one day, drove 50mi one way to find out it was too wide and need to be narrowed all the way up ( me bad took the guys word for it). Not an issue with deck over.