Need advice on maximum slope that is capable of being traversed

/ Need advice on maximum slope that is capable of being traversed #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
We are planning some roads through some rough terrain. Through some advanced GIS data we are able to get fairly accurate elevation values at 100' intervals along the proposed roads.

Assume a purely vertical slope - by that I mean the path will be flat in the direction perpendicular to the way you are traveling and no side slopes to worry about.

The roads will be traveled by ATVs, UTVs, tractor, maybe a beat up farm truck, etc but are not main roads or anything that needs to travelled on by nice vehicles, trailers, etc.

What change in elevation over 100' becomes an issue? We don't want these roads to be the extreme offroad challenge every time we drive them but we also don't want to eliminate potential paths that are likely usable. I know there are many variables such as surface conditions but just generally speaking is what I am looking for. I was thinking stay under 30% grade or 30' change in 100' but not sure if that is right.

/ Need advice on maximum slope that is capable of being traversed #2  
A 30% slope is over a 16 degree slope. It is doable with the mentioned vehicles, anything in 2wd is going to be scrabbling and loosening the road surface. I use 4wd on my driveway to reduce the tire scratching and loosening effect it is a 14-16 degree climb.

/ Need advice on maximum slope that is capable of being traversed #3  
Good Afternoon bdog,
Everything that Lou mentioned , and I would also consider crowning the roadway on the steeper slopes so you wont get ruts when you get heavy rain. I have done this on a steep section of my DW here and the water runoff of the crown work very well !