Need Advice On No Start

/ Need Advice On No Start #1  

coollx

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
I have a John Deere 4100 compact I bought new 7 or 8 years ago that just turned 200 hours. It has always ran perfect until today. It also stays indoors.

I was trimming trees and stopping to put the branches in the loader to dump out back. I had started and stopped the engine several times then all of a sudden it wouldn't start...nothing. Doesn't turn over at all. Even the dash lights that normally come on didn't. It acts like a car with a totally dead battery only the battery is fully charged and the connections clean and tight.

I checked the fuses which are fine and checked that there is 12 volts at the main terminal on the starter which there is. I also tried to activate the starter solenoid by running a jumper from the positive on the battery but nothing happened.

I'm thinking the ignition switch or one of the safety interlock switches may be bad but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, it decided not to start way out in my yard which complicates working on it.

Anyone have any thoughts on what it sounds like and how to verify the problem. I hate to call the John Deere dealer if its something simple that I can fix.

Thanks.

Dom

/ Need Advice On No Start #2  
I have a John Deere 4100 compact I bought new 7 or 8 years ago that just turned 200 hours. It has always ran perfect until today. It also stays indoors.

I was trimming trees and stopping to put the branches in the loader to dump out back. I had started and stopped the engine several times then all of a sudden it wouldn't start...nothing. Doesn't turn over at all. Even the dash lights that normally come on didn't. It acts like a car with a totally dead battery only the battery is fully charged and the connections clean and tight.

I checked the fuses which are fine and checked that there is 12 volts at the main terminal on the starter which there is. I also tried to activate the starter solenoid by running a jumper from the positive on the battery but nothing happened.

I'm thinking the ignition switch or one of the safety interlock switches may be bad but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, it decided not to start way out in my yard which complicates working on it.

Anyone have any thoughts on what it sounds like and how to verify the problem. I hate to call the John Deere dealer if its something simple that I can fix.

Thanks.

Dom
Seems to me if it was ignition you could jump it accross the starter I think it is a saftey switch

/ Need Advice On No Start #3  
If you have battery voltage at the large terminal on the starter,where the cable from the battery attaches,and you run a jumper from the positive battery terminal,or the hot post on the starter for that matter,to the small terminal on the starter solenoid,the starter should activate. You're bypassing everything,ignition and safety switches,so the starter should operate if it is capable. If nothing,repair starter or solenoid.Oh,safety first-neutral and brake set. Good Luck!

/ Need Advice On No Start #4  
I just reread your post-missed the part about the lights on the dash not working either. I would doubt your starter failed at exactly the same time as your warning lamp circuitry. Double check your starter as per above,but I'll bet the problem lies elsewhere.

/ Need Advice On No Start #5  
Sounds like a bad/broken ground wire from the battery to the frame/engine.

/ Need Advice On No Start
Although I have power to the large terminal on the starter, I was really surprised that the starter didn't engage when I jumped the wire leading into the solenoid.

From what I can see, there's just those two wires; the positive from the battery directly to the starter and a small wire to the solenoid.

Does anyone know whether most manufacturers offer repair manuals that show wiring schematics and actual trouble shooting steps? Now that the tractor is 7+ years old I will probably be faced with more issues and would like to be better prepared to try to take care of them myself.

Dom

/ Need Advice On No Start #7  
Going with 638's thoughts,it's time to verify the ground to frame/engine/starter connection.Sounds like you have a test light. Hook up in reverse-clip onto positive battery post and probe for ground.Or even use a jumper cable from battery negative to frame or even the starter itself and try starter tset again.Hang in there,you'll get it!

/ Need Advice On No Start #8  
I am not familiar with your tractor; but many have a "main" fuse besides the ones in the fuse box. Look around just past the starter for a main fuse; this could cause your problem.

/ Need Advice On No Start
Turns out that the battery was bad. Although it registered 12.6 volts without any load, once I turned the ignition switch to the start position the voltage dropped to 2.x volts.

Never had a battery do that before. Usually when they are bad, you get a low reading with no load as well.

I think its time I buy a JD repair manual so any future problems might be a little easier to diagnose.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Dom

/ Need Advice On No Start #10  
That 12.6v is a surface voltage which can cause you to look elsewhere for the problem....which is what you did, now you know...we all learn one way or the other and it's usually the hard way.