Buying Advice Need advice on steering

/ Need advice on steering #1  

roxynoodle

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510d, 1950 Farmall H
I am about to change the front tires on my 1510D because they are seriously worn and cracked. While I have the tractor jacked up I am wondering if there is anything I can do to adjust the steering? While on grass or dirt I have no problems with it. But, on pavement I get the sway back and forth with the front tires (both tires move together side to side). It will be getting R1s and I know to some extent that is normal. I am just wondering to what extent it is normal? On the road the highest speed I can stand driving it is range 2, speed 3. Which is not very fast. Anything over that rattles my brain. Is this normal for the R1s or can I do anything to improve it?

/ Need advice on steering #2  
That is normal. You'll have to live with it or change to industrial or turf tires.

Eugene

/ Need advice on steering #3  
Have you tried running with minimum air pressure?

/ Need advice on steering
The air pressure is very low. That does helps some.

So this is normal for the R1 tires? If so, I'm willing to live with it. I don't want to change out the rear tires, too since they are good. Just thought maybe I could make an adjustment to get some improvement.

/ Need advice on steering #5  
If I understand you correctly .You are saying that the play is in the steering. If so, there shoule b an adjustment on the steering box somewhere to take out some of the play. Not sure where it is located on your tractor. My 3110 has one & it's power steering . Mine is on the steering box on the rt. side.

/ Need advice on steering #6  
Check for any wear in the entire steering linkage. Be aware that you must maintain the same exact tire size ratio, front to rear, when changing tires on 4wd.

Yes, I questioned that, too. Someone told me to use R1s on the front. The rice tires are still on the back. What does everyone think about that? Are the R1s advisable with the rice tires? Or do I need to find some used, but better condition, rice tires? The owner's manual lists the tires as 5x12.

/ Need advice on steering #8  
Measure the circumference of old vs new. If within an " or 2 you should be ok. Although rice tires have deeper lugs than R1's, worn ricers should be about the same. No 4wd on pavement, and should be no problem.

Thanks! I was also thinking my worn tires were about the same as R1s and they seem to work fine with 4wd now. I only use the 4wd when necessary and I guess I don't see a use for it on pavement. Might be easier to measure the diameter and then calculate the circumference. I could also use a piece of twine I suppose to find the circumference. Again, thanks, that's what I needed to know. I did have a concern that R1s might not match up right, but that would be the best way to find out.

/ Need advice on steering #10  
roxynoodle said:
I could also use a piece of twine I suppose to find the circumference.

If it was me, I'd use the direct measurement, piece of twine, route. Otherwise, any error in the diameter measurement will be multiplied by pi when you convert to circumference. May not be a significant difference, but no need to introduce more error than necessary.

Actually, a more precise measurement would be the rolling radius of the tire - distance from ground plane to the center of the axle with the tractor at its working weight and tire at working pressure. But, unless you know the overall gearing ratio between the front and rear axles, trying to be that precise is overkill.