need advice on tractor needs

/ need advice on tractor needs #41  
I had thought a little about a commercial mower (zero radius) as an option. This might actually do the mowing quicker than a tractor/bush hog set-up-you think?
I have a flat bed trailer I pull with a bumper hitch. I would like to pull that around the farm and pick up limbs, etc. Could I set-up the tractor to do that?
Thanks, PapaSmith, for the thoughts.

As far as the commercial mower being faster, it depends on the terrain being mowed, what is being mowed, the tractor bushhog setup and, the mower you are comparing it with. A good commercial ZT mower can mow 10mph or faster. On my pastures which are relatively smooth, where the grass is not all that thick, my Ferris with a 60" deck and a 27hp Kohler engine will run circles around my Mahindra/6 foot bushhog setup and do a better job with less stress to the earth. One big reason for this is the 4 wheel suspension on my Ferris ZT in combination with a suspension seat. It would be hard to beat my tractor with a solid suspension mower because I would have to slow down so much due to the rough ground.

If you have heavy tall grass and especially brush and, rough ground, the tractor is definitely the way to go. If you don't have much of that, you might do what was suggested earlier and just have someone cut it once or twice a year and use a commercial mower for the rest of it. And, if this is all you are going to do with the tractor, that might be the wisest choice. However, if your land is rough, a tractor is the way to go.

If you go with a commercial mower, I would definitely consider a Ferris for the suspension. A solid suspension mower will beat you to death even with a suspension seat. Also, just get used, something with 500 hours or less that has had regular maintenance. Something with 500 hours should be had for 1/2 of new or less. Have it checked over by a mechanic familiar with these mowers to make sure it is okay. These mowers are tough and should last a minimum of 2000 hours with regular maintenance. Oh, and you most likely should get a 60" with at least a 27hp engine. If you are talking about putting a hitch on the back of the ZT, yeah, you can do that. For more advice on commercial mowers go to:

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

One more thing, these mowers handle slopes much better than a tractor. You need to get use to the mower but, you'll find that they are amazingly stable.

Dave in NC

/ need advice on tractor needs #42  
One thing you have to remember is have fun. I researched on this site and many others for over a year. the final choice came down to the kubota l3400 and the Antonio carrero ttr4400, i chose the carrero because of the rediculus slope abilities that it has. it has no loader but I can use a grader blade and a dirt scoop for most of my needs. my primary use of this tractor is to mow my hedge but i also cut a lot of freinds acreages for the fun and slight profit of it. You may want to have a look at ironplanet.com as an option for a machine. I find it as one of my favorite sites now. you have the dirt now buy the iron. the investment is well worth it ;)

/ need advice on tractor needs #43  
While scanning the OP's posts. I didn't see anything indicating where he is located. This could have a bearing on whether he buys new or used. From what I've seen using www.tractorhouse.com as a gauge, people in the Midwest and eastern seaboard have more choices in the new and used department. Once you get to the mountains and further west, the choice of quality used equipment appears to drop off significantly.

/ need advice on tractor needs #44  
One thing you have to remember is have fun. I researched on this site and many others for over a year. the final choice came down to the kubota l3400 and the Antonio carrero ttr4400, i chose the carrero because of the rediculus slope abilities that it has. it has no loader but I can use a grader blade and a dirt scoop for most of my needs. my primary use of this tractor is to mow my hedge but i also cut a lot of freinds acreages for the fun and slight profit of it. You may want to have a look at ironplanet.com as an option for a machine. I find it as one of my favorite sites now. you have the dirt now buy the iron. the investment is well worth it ;)

Good advice regarding having fun with this process. Don't feel like you should get a tractor/commercial mower now. Too often I hear, "if only I knew what I know now I would have bought ........." I know I have been guilty of pulling the trigger on a purchase too quickly before having a real understanding of what I needed.

Take the time to understand the choices for equipment, your property and, most importantly, take the time to get a perspective on yourself in regard to your new situation as an owner of 18 acres at this place and time. You will be a more satisfied land owner and will probably save some money to boot. Always a good thing.

Dave in NC

/ need advice on tractor needs #45  
very good information Papasmith. My zero turn will only go about 6 mph but without suspension that is just about all a person can stand on my lumpy lawns. I agree with you about the stability of these things, they weigh a lot, have a wide stance and all the weight is down low. It is difficult to imagine how you could every turn one over, I think you would fall out of the seat first. Buying used is good. My mower had 12 hours on it when I bought it for $1700

/ need advice on tractor needs #46  
I also have a place at the foot of the Arkansas Ozarks (just south of Hot Springs) and if your place grows rocks like mine, stay away from the tiller for the tractor, you will need that $20K to keep tines on it. Stick with a tandem disk for those rocks and even with that, mine sounds like I am discing asphalt. As for tractor size, a 40 HP is nice to have but probably way oversized for your needs for just 18 acres. A 20-25 will do everything you need to do. Also as suggested, I would go with slightly used (200 - 500 hours )over new and take advantage of someone else getting all the bugs worked out of the new tractor. My BIL just bought a new one and got all of 5 hours on it before it quit completely and had to go in for minor repair, but it was down for 2 weeks because of a broken weld on a shift rod. We both work together to maintain 42 acres, 11.5 of which is mine and the rest his. He worked his 31 acres for 3 years with a used 750 JD and 4 foot mower with about 2 weeks of help from me and my tractor each year when I am home. I have a graymarket Yanmar 40 HP with 4 wd and FEL that I use on mine since I have lots of spring fed bogs and the 4 WD really is a boon to traction. This is my first 4 WD and I would not buy another tractor without 4 WD. BIL also bought 4 Wd on the new tractor. FEL is so useful that it is almost a necessity (never had one of those on the farm I grew up on either ) You dont miss what you never had. I would not recommend any of the gray market tractors for your situation since they do need some minor work from time to time.
My suggestion is same as many others here, shop your local dealer and sit on all the brands to check for comfort and conveniences. If possible invest in a deluxe seat with hydraulic or spring suspension (you wont regret spending the extra $400 for that), also look at a tractor with the telescoping lift arms which is very well worth the money if you try to hook up something by your self even if you have the quick attach it is still a bear if you are on unlevel ground.

/ need advice on tractor needs #47  
I also live in the ozarks/springfield area and know what the terrain is like. If you do not want to keep everything mowed there are people that will cut and put the hay up on shares and that can save you from mowing everything. If you are trying to mow some of the hill sides and think you might tip over, my best suggestion is not to mow them, you can widen out the tires and fluid them for better footing. You can run a tiller around here for your garden but you will have a chore of picking out rocks!!! The size of tractor would be a 30-40hp tractor sounds like to me about the size you need. I would probably see about getting a hydro if your wife is going to use it unless she can drive a standard. If you are buying a blade just for snow, don't bother you loader can take care of it. The snows usually do not last long and we do not get that much.

/ need advice on tractor needs #48  
Unless one is in need of a huge truck garden; for personal use, I wouldn't spend money on a rototiller. I use my FEL, front end loader, to build raised beds, to which I add compost, and amendments. Out in our area, the trend is away from heavy equipment that compacts the soil. If I want to establish a new garden plot, and it involves cultivation of existing soil, I use the toothbar on my FEL.

On the other hand, when I was in the landscape business, a rototiller was the tool of choice for breaking up the soil, and incorporating amendments, when installing lawns.

/ need advice on tractor needs #49  
Please let us know how to get a 10% ROI average without being part of an early Ponzi scheme. I agree that paying for services is an option for the OP but would imagine he will need a much greater "nest egg" to pay for such services. I agree with your estimate of $2500/yr for mowing, snow removal and some occasional brush clean up/tree work but I haven't seen such optimistic figures for ROI since Bernie Madoff was thrown in the slammer.

Investing 25K in a new or slightly used tractor and implements would likely be the best way to get a 10% ROI for someone in the OP's position.

If you had purchased 25k worth of Dow Chemical stock on september 10th @ 22.60, as of today you would have alread recieved an 19+% ROI. It traded at 26.99 in after market trading today, plus you will get the dividend if you hold it untill the end of september, about $166 and the increased value of the stock would have been $4856 for a total of $5022

Not bad for 12 days.....;)

It is very probably that the anual ROI on this particular stock will be a little more than the 10% since it has exceeded that amount 4 days after I made my post.

Not a Ponzi scheme just a well run company on the rebound.:D:D:D

/ need advice on tractor needs #50  
All, sorry for the little hijack of the thread, so I will post the deal I just got to keep in on topic,

Just picked up a '07 Kubota 3540 with 52 hours on it, 724 FEL, and backhoe, all with quick connets, and front remotes for $21k. Still almost has 2 years warranty on it. Just to give you a idea of what you can find if you look long enough.

Now for the hijack:
Steve C. Noticed the KTM on your sig. Do you ever visit KTMTalk any?