Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #1  

new jersey mike

Silver Member
NJ Home with property in East Worcester, NY
Tractor
2010 - NH T1530
I have a Ransomes Bobcat 48 inch walk behind mower, I just went out to do the lawn I check oil ok, check fuel and it was almost empty and it had at lease 1 + in it, went to pull to find my compression stroke and it was lock solid. Hum I know this is not good, I pull with a little more pressure it passes through the stroke and I see fuel all under the exhaust. Now I realize the fuel had flooded the cylinder. Just came in to get my tools to remove the plug and try to purge the fuel from the cylinder, I expect there is gas in the oil so change the oil and filter.

Does anyone know why this may have happened, I did spray carb cleaner in it before putting it away I guess the float needle could be stuck down/open.

Any other thoughts??

Thanks

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #2  
Yes sounds like your float needle and seat have failed. Be careful purging the fluid because as you crank the engine the plug is also firing and can cause spectacular flame throwing effect.....

Roy

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #3  
A couple of things - like you said - needle valve stuck in the carb. Take it out and clean it up.

Also if yours is newer it may have a solenoid on the carb that is stuck open - it opens when you turn on the key.

Ruptured fuel pump diaphram - happened to my CC1811 with the gas tank above the engine the rubber diaphram on the pump dissolved/hole in it. This let all the gas into the engine.

Yours probably has the vacuum driven fuel pump and are not $$ to replace - $11 or so.

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #5  
Dump the oil & replace with fresh.
R&R oil filter.
Check air filter & dry out if soaked with fuel.
Cut fuel line & install in-line shut off valve ($5).
Put sticker somewhere near the kill switch to remind you to turn the fuel off when ever you shut down.
I have had to do this with every B&S engine and the one Tecumseh SnoKing that I own.
-Jim

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #6  
Does anyone know why this may have happened, I did spray carb cleaner in it before putting it away I guess the float needle could be stuck down/open.

This happened to me twice, on my mower, and then on my tiller, before I figured out what was doing it. The mechanic said that the ethanol in today's gas rots out the gaskets and seals in the carburetor very quickly. In the case of the tiller, the fix was a carb rebuild/replace. What I do now is, when I am done using the implement, I cut off the fuel and let it run dry. I have also seen some additives that are supposed to protect the carb, but for me, letting them run dry is simple and easy. I burn up a little gas every time, but that's okay with me.

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #7  
Dump the oil & replace with fresh.
R&R oil filter.
Check air filter & dry out if soaked with fuel.
Cut fuel line & install in-line shut off valve ($5).
Put sticker somewhere near the kill switch to remind you to turn the fuel off when ever you shut down.
I have had to do this with every B&S engine and the one Tecumseh SnoKing that I own.
-Jim

FWIW, this is what I did with my mower. The carb was going to be a little expensive to replace/rebuild, but a fuel cutoff switch is easy to buy and install. You just have to remember to use it! If I ever turn off the mower without cutting the fuel, it will all leak into the oil, and I will have to do all this BS again.

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #8  
I've had this happen with both gasoline powered items from Horrible Fright, a pressure washer and plate compactor. After leaving the fuel on for the winter, in the spring I went to check the oil level and out poured a quart of gasoline. I had never seen anything like that. But I drained the crankcase and added fresh oil. The pressure washer drips gasoline out of the carb unless the engine is running. Needles to say, now I just shut the gas off and let the motor die. It's a minor inconvenience, but other than that isn't a problem. I bought a replacement Predator engine on sale to replace the one that dies first. Then I'll disassemble the removed engine to see if I can find the gasket or seal that's leaking.

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week #9  
I bought a replacement Predator engine on sale to replace the one that dies first. Then I'll disassemble the removed engine to see if I can find the gasket or seal that's leaking.

It's probably the needle valve, IMO.

/ Need advise - Gas flooded my mower while stored for a week
This was the first time this ever happened to me or any piece of equipment. I do have a plastic shut off valve but at the base of the gas tank. I changed the oil and filter yesterday. I also decided to take off the muffler because of the fuel that was blowing out of that. I hope the gasket re-seats or I will just pick up a new one. I ran it briefly yesterday, never letting it get to hot. I plant to run it later with good fuel that has detergent, this way if it is the needle valve it may just clear. I do't think it was the carb gasket is bad because the mower was running fine this spring prior to use carb cleaner but I may be wrong.

Thank you for all the input, can always count on this forum and members for advise.