need advise on new husky saw

/ need advise on new husky saw #11  
I love the 385 and would purchase it before the 372 if money wasn't an issue for any operator.

I got a great deal on my 385....somewhere online, might've even been Ebay, have to check. I think it was around $800 delivered with 2 extra chains.....I love it!

/ need advise on new husky saw
I got a great deal on my 385....somewhere online, might've even been Ebay, have to check. I think it was around $800 delivered with 2 extra chains.....I love it!

I went to my husky dealer today to look @ a 372xp they were sold out. They had a 370 not xp or least it didn't say so ? and a 385xp. I didn't buy either .don't you hate that you get all set and what a let down ..... I'm out of the mood now. :mad:

/ need advise on new husky saw #13  

That's the price of a 372 around here. Nice going

/ need advise on new husky saw #14  
Ok you husky guys I am ready to up grade. I starting cutting wood 4 seasons ago for a outside boiler with a pouland that only lasted a year. So I bought a 455 rancher. And omg it was a beast compared to the wildthing . I know I know . But I am on the right track now .
So anyway that's my story . So I want a husky pro saw with a 24" bar . So which one ? There are so many . I cut around 10 to 12 cords a year.

IMHO the answer is 372 then trade the 455 for a 16" 346 that IS the track. ;)

/ need advise on new husky saw #15  
I went to my husky dealer today to look @ a 372xp they were sold out. They had a 370 not xp or least it didn't say so ? and a 385xp. I didn't buy either .don't you hate that you get all set and what a let down ..... I'm out of the mood now. :mad:

Too bad because you'd use the 385 once and be sold. It would be a weight gain and maybe not a huge step over the 372 power wise but coming from the 455, it'd be like day and night.
If I had to step up because of the weight/power ratio, I'd jump to the 395 but this is a guy who has owned over a hundred chainsaws in his career with the rest after my career being I was a chainsaw junkie mostly I think because of the different colors chainsaws come in.
Can you not find the 372 elsewhere? Also, don't look down your nose at a 357 with a couple of bars. The 357 is at its limit at 20". There are plenty of ways to take a large diameter tree with a 20" bar. One of my favorites is after you notch the tree, make a plunge cut beginning just behind where you want the hinge to be. Withdraw the saw and make another plunge cut at the same place on the other side of the tree and wrap that cut around the trunk until it meets with the first (tree will start going over before they touch most of the time). Another way if the tree is slightly wider than your bar is to make the notch and then make 2 cuts on both sides into the tree perpendicular to the notch. These cuts would only be deep enough for the bar to go all the way across the tree. In other words, I'd cut a 3" deep lateral cut on both sides of a 24"tree. This effectively makes a 24" tree 18" and thus your 20" bar spans the entire felling cut.

/ need advise on new husky saw #16  
Another Stihl fan here, but I bought a used 372xp. It is a cutting machine with a sharp chain / 24" bar - no comparison to my 028 Stihl. Bought it mainly for flush cutting stumps left behind by a clearing job. I'll probably keep it, but for me it is not a "typical use" size saw.

/ need advise on new husky saw #17  
I have 2 sitting here ready to go and now till the end of Oct 10% off any in stock saw!

/ need advise on new husky saw #18  
I have had my 372 since 2001 bought it new and has been a great saw a tad heavy after wagging it around all day but put it on a tree and that power to weight is very noticeable it is a screamer best money Ive spent in years on tools.

edit: besides my NE 346 oh man talk about power to weight its ridiculous fast and light with a 16 and 3/8 chain.

Last edited:
   / need advise on new husky saw #19  
I've got a 390xpg 24" for bucking/felling and a poulan pro 16" for limbing/small stuff. The 390 doesn't even slow down when the whole thing is buried in a log and I'm working my way through it ... the poulan on the other hand struggles when it has 1/2 the bar working ... also notice I have to sharpen the poulan more frequently?

/ need advise on new husky saw #20  
Since this thread is about two weeks old, I would hope that the OP has made up his mind yet. Or maybe he was serious about being out of the mood now.

But for what it's worth, if he has a dolmar dealer in his area they are worth a heavy look. The Dolmar 6400 can be had at the right dolmar dealers for right @ the same price baileys sells them at. IMO for $500, stihl and husky dont even come close with anything in that price range.

And since you guys are suggesting 372's, 385's etc, It is only fair for me to mention the 7900 dolmar. Usually a tad cheaper than the 372 husky, but more power and quicker in the cut. It is nipping right on the heels of the 385 without the esxtra $$ or weight.

But if no dolmar dealers around (which is their whole companies downside) I can forgive you if you get a husky. But I you have dealers, check them all out and buy what YOU like.