Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice.

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #11  
I have a Dual stage stand up craftsman that does well, unless your running cut off tools or sanders for long periods, I am moving that compressor to my new shop, ( I would keep that one where it is and get a new one for the shop if I could find a good deal ) I am leaning toward a Little portable unit since mine is shot.
Looking at this unit
Factory-Reconditioned Stanley Bostitch U/CPACK300 3-Tool and Compressor Combo Kit - Amazon.com

As for grinder it is just for normal use sharpening stuff and taking rust off.

Craftsman Variable Speed 8 Bench Grinder: Power Up With DealsSears

have that bostitch compressor that I use as a portable unit. It works well.I paid $100.00 compressor only. If your looking for a large compressor for running air sanders, etc. you need 1 to be able to produce enough CFM'S so you don't run out of air
this is what I have in my shop 318VLE BelAire 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Elite Series Air Compressor (208-230V 1-Phase) I have a craftsman bench grinder. It works well,just used to sharpen drill bits

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #12  
I have a 60 gallon upright 5hp. It works pretty good, but I wish I would have got a twin cylinder oil type instead of the oilfree. The oilfree has worked well for 10 years, and has driven sanders, impact wrenches ect. But, it is the NOISIEST thing you ever heard! I have about 175' of hose, and can reach anywhere in the garage or house. I keep 100' of "clean" hose for when there are projects in the house; air nailer, brad nailer, finish nailer etc.

I do wish I had a portable though. I had a CH 2hp for years, till the tank rotted out. I was able to use it all over the property, on the shed etc, powered by portable generator. It would be nice to have that option again.

Whatever you get, replace the drain immediately with something easy to use. I hardly ever drained the CH 2hp compressor, because the little finger tighten valve was hard to use, and the "T" handle on it broke early on. And, where are those valves on compressors? Right where spiders etc like to nest....
2012-12-23_11-08-29_625.jpg

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice.
   / Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #14  
The problem with oilless is water, you can't paint with it.

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #15  
I have this Craftsman 6-in. bench grinder with its own stand, Model No.152.241230, for which I paid $86.79, including tax 7 years ago and I'm still very happy with it. It does have a light and I do use the light.

And I have this Industrial Air by Coleman Powermate compressor. It, too, was 7 years old in Sept. and is used almost every day. I got it from Northern Tool for $536.08, including tax, but I don't think they sell this model anymore.

I have a Coleman Powermate also. It's a darn good compressor. I don't think Coleman is in the compressor business anymore. I had a Sears Oil-Less compressor before that. I wouldn't recommend the Sears oil-less.

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #16  
I have a Coleman Powermate also. It's a darn good compressor. I don't think Coleman is in the compressor business anymore. I had a Sears Oil-Less compressor before that. I wouldn't recommend the Sears oil-less.

I used to have a Craftsman oil-less, made by DeVilbiss. I very quickly learned to rebuild it in less than an hour, but after the 3rd or 4th time, I got rid of it.:laughing: Oil-less is OK for occasional use. I used to carry a 2 gallon DeVilbiss oil-less in the RV. But they won't last long if run continuously for any length of time, as I did, and still do, my compressors.

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #17  
I had the Craftsman oil-less about 13 months and the motor burned up in it twice during that period. And I didn't use it that much.

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #19  
The problem with oilless is water, you can't paint with it.

You can have moisture problems with oil less and oil lubricated compressors. And with an oil lubricated compressor you can get oil in the compressed air also. If painting it's a good idea to run a filter/water trap to remove the contaminents no matter what type of compressor you use.

Ken

/ Need Air Compressor and Bench Grinder advice. #20  
You can take my word when I say I have had many many types and makes of air compressors, and I can advise you to stay away from the oil-less ones, they might be OK for those only using it once in a while, But I use a compressor each day all day 8-9 hours per day, about 6 years ago I finally found the ones that would hold up to my use, actually I 3 type that you mentions possibly needing, I have a Upright shop compressor, name brand ( Farm hand ) made by Campbell Hausfeld, been a very reliable unit, I have a semi-portable (Ingersoll Rand) that I keep in my trailer, it does have wheels, although I have never had it out of my trailer in 6 years, I also have a carry around compressor Branded by ( Dewalt) that has been an excellent compressor for the 5 years of using it, I've run it all day long with 2 framing guns building decks, No problem..... I could go into details of why these units are better then the rest but it might take a while, so I'm just saying I've had good use from these over this time, and if the broke tomorrow I would still give a :thumbsup: on them,

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 167