Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #21  
Unfortunately Bjarn, the steep mountainous area in which I live necessitates a dozer for trail work. I finally did got hold of the seller again and made him an offer of $6k. He seemed to take offense at the offer and wouldn't even counter offer. In fact he wouldn't even take my name and number in case he changed his mind. I guess good luck to him getting the 9K he wants.
Back to the grind of searching again. If any of you come across a good deal on a dozer for under 10K in or around WV, please IM me with the information.

I will check with some of the construction companies and lumber companies and see if they are selling any of their inventory.

Just as another cost reference, I have $8600 total out of pocket in my Case 310 diesel dozer. Is it 100% completely restored, no. I repaired what needed repairing and made it look nice. I have no doubt that it will last me as long as I am alive. Would I use it for commercial work, wouldn't even think about it, very antiquated for any of that type of work. Is it good for the ranch, it's perfect IMO. ;)

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #22  
Late to this party, but still feel like making a comment - I think the original price for that dozer is too high - I think somewhere in the $5,000-$6,000 range is reasonable, but evidently the seller doesn't.

I've got a Case 310G dozer, similar to Brian's but much, much uglier. I picked it up many years ago for $5,500 and it was ready to run, although far from perfect. Over the years that I've had, repairs have been minimal and for the amount of work that I have done with it, it has paid for itself. I've done a lot of clearing of small trees and brush with it, dug one small pond, helped dig another larger pond, graded around the house, etc. The only major work I've done to it was replacing the old oil bath air filter with on from a junkyard and replacing the fuel lines from the tank to filters, and neither of those jobs were expensive or difficult. Mine only has a 4 way blade.

I've kicked around the idea of selling it for a few thousand while it's still in good running condition and buying a newer/nicer one, but I'm afraid I would buy a bad one and regret selling my old little dozer.

Good luck with your search. There's bound to be one that will come along that's what you're looking for.

Take care.

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #23  
Wow! Case must be a lot cheaper than John Deere, or maybe it's just the area you're in.
I gave $11,500 for my JD 450b a couple of years ago, then I had to pay to ship it 1200 miles.
I had a Case 310 track loader several years ago. There is absolutely no comparison from a 310 to a 450. None at all, 0, zip, nada!
Everyone who said these old machines are expensive to work on is right. After market suppliers can be your best friends. Just make sure it's in pretty decent shape before you buy one.
I had to put steering clutches, and some seals in the finals on my 450 last year. Parts were about $2400 aftermarket. John Deere wanted $9000. :eek:
You said it had a winch that wasn't installed? have you priced a used winch made for this machine? One for my Deere runs between $3500 and $5000 for a used one. Just sayin'.
And as far as commercial value, well that's why I got mine. I average using it probably 4 or 5 days a month, maybe. So I couldn't justify tying up $50,000 in a newer machine (that can go down just as easily). In the last 2 years my little 450 has paid for itself and all of the repairs I've had to do to it.
If I was looking for a little dozer, and that Case was in my area, I'd sure spend a little time with it and run it enough to warm everything up (the owner shouldn't have a problem with you pushing a little dirt around with it if he knows you're serious). The idea of hiring a mechanic to look it over isn't a bad idea either, but he won't be able to see what's going on inside the boxes if it's just sitting there.
I can't say if that machine is worth what he's asking or not, but I'd sure take a close look.

Here's mine. I've put sweeps, and a mile marker hydraulic winch on since this pic. I'd love to have a factory winch for her.

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #24  
There is absolutely no comparison from a 310 to a 450. None at all, 0, zip, nada!

A JD 350 will run circles around any 310 Case. I have run all 3.

That's a super nice machine you have there.

Fred

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #25  
A JD 350 will run circles around any 310 Case. I have run all 3.

That's a super nice machine you have there.

Fred
Thanks,
A fresh coat of paint usually means that you'd better look it over a little harder. Fortunately this one was close to as nice as it looks.

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer
Thanks,
A fresh coat of paint usually means that you'd better look it over a little harder. Fortunately this one was close to as nice as it looks.

Well I ended up going with a John Deere 450B. Not as nice looking as yours, but the previous owner (a church) had the JD shop do the maintenance on it and recently (less than 50 hours ago) redo the undercarriage (except for the tracks), so its like new. Got it for bit less than the Case was going for. The exterior needs some TLC (any ideas on where to get the correct color paint for it?) but other than that it runs like a champ with no leaks or other problems.

JD450B.jpg

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #27  
You'll love it.

Nice find, Fred

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #28  
I don't know that it's not every bit as nice as mine. Nice isn't in the paint job.
Sounds like you got a smoking deal on it. You might check with your local JD dealer and see if they still make paint that color, I think they changed shades of yellow though. Other than that Tractor Supply has a pretty good selection of equipment paint. You might take a little chip in and see how close you can get.

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #29  
Nice buy Paul. I think you'll be a lot happier with the 450. The NJ Forest Fire Service still use them to this day. In fact they prefer them over the new Komatsu D31's.

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer
I don't know that it's not every bit as nice as mine. Nice isn't in the paint job.
Sounds like you got a smoking deal on it. You might check with your local JD dealer and see if they still make paint that color, I think they changed shades of yellow though. Other than that Tractor Supply has a pretty good selection of equipment paint. You might take a little chip in and see how close you can get.

good idea, thanks!