Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #51  
Here is my take on things.

Fenders, do not worry until needed. That's an easy add on later.

Lights are a must if your are riding at dawn. You really want to be seen. They are cheap anyhow. I would go front and back. Batteries last pretty long with most lights as most are led now. A pulsing white light in front can be seen from far.

As for single speed, I realize you said your not going that route. That's good. The only guys I know that use single speeds are couriers and winter riders(less parts to freeze up).

Hybrid is a good choice but do not rule out a mountain bike style. The more upright you are, the more pressure you put on your butt. A mountain bike might distribute your weight 30-70 hands-butt, where a touring or hybrid might be 5-95 hand-butt. My experience, to much butt pressure hurts, to much hands pressure, you hands can go numb too if I don't change my hand position enough.

Cardio, ha! Yes it works. I participated in a work place weight lose competition. I got second place, 26 lbs in two months. I rode hard to and from work 30-45 min average speed 26-29 mph five days a week thru traffic. I wouldn't do it anymore, I have 4 kids now and value my life too much. One hard crash, my fault, crushed my bike up. I came in second in the weight lose competition, the winner did atkins. he had more to lose, beat me by 1 lbs. Anyways.

Tires make a huge difference. I ran semi slick tires. Almost totally slick for the rear, but the front I used a different tire with a tiny bit more tread as the semi slicks get too slippery for my liking. Run max pressure also. Way less rolling resistance.

Forget rear suspension bc efficiency. Fork suspension can take the edge off those bumps. On better model of suspension forks they are adjustable, so you can tighten them right up so they still work a little bit but you don't lose too much efficiency. My wife used to use a suspension seat post, she liked it, I didn't. It felt jerky to me. I realize efficiency may not be a big deal to you right now.

Don't go for the fattest seat you can find. If properly set up, you can get used to any modest seat, that's what I found. A tinny wedge seat isn't great either. A gel seat cover can help just about any seat too, they pretty cheap, but you lose a little control.

As for spandex style shorts, yup they are awesome. I bought a short length pair so they fit under a normal pair of short so no one can tell beside me.:)

As for a heart monitor and bike computer, that's like buying a box blade for your tractor. Don't need at first but makes a nice add on. I use timex and VDO.

For quality of bike, let me say once you use an aluminium bike over the walmart bikes you will see the difference. Weight make a huge difference in feel, efficiency and enjoyment. Pay attention to the components so you know you are comparing apples to apples. Most use shimano, but they have different model lines too.

Now this tread got me going, I want to go for a ride but there is too much snow here. I am trying to get used to my new bike trainer but its not working too well for me.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #52  
I beleive the OP described what he was looking for and not what you have or bought. Flat ground. Single speed, high handle bars is perfect and your not all slumped over with a padded 2X4 up your crack. He'll get his exercise and not have to float a loan just to putter around. But he won't have the high tech bragging rights, with carbon fiber, shaft drive, sonic warning dog repellent, LED lighting. Just a plain bike. PLus he won't have to wear all that SPANDEX.. :D

I advised against single speed, so clearly I am not going to go on to suggest a single speed bike. You suggested he go to Walmart and get a single speed there...nothing wrong with that, but he is now more interested in multiple speeds, as I hoped he would be.

The bike I bought does have the riding position he described, and the tire style he is headed toward. Folks are saying he should avoid suspension, and that's fine...probably appropriate, but my suspension doesn't actually seem to flex unless I hit a major bump and it is adjustable.

In terms of simple, lubing a shaft and a hub once a year with a grease gun seems simpler than the chain stuff to me, and there is far less noise too.

In short, I suggested a bike I believed he would like, just one more for him to think about, so I haven't wronged him in any way. It said it was a bit expensive, but I didn't "float a loan" to buy a bicycle. Lots of folks drop far more on a bike, but this bike is likely my only bike for the rest of my life, so I decided not to sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:
   / Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider
All this is great advice and i am very appreciative. I'm going to buy the Giant brand "Cypress" model shown above but I need to test drive. Hopefully this Saturday. My real question is do I want the front shock absorber fork and I'm thinking I could get be by just fine without it--but I'm still researching and and listening. That's really the last thing I need to think about and you guys really helped me narrow things down.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #54  
My wife bought a bike with the front shock and gel seat and I took it for a spin. It is like riding on air. Nowhere the amount of road vibration compared to without one.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #55  
My bike has the front suspension and a suspension seat. I'd recomend getting this setup unless your country roads are really smooth. Mine aren't and it really helps make the ride better. It took a little getting used to since the bike has a different feel with the suspension. I don't like the real upright feel when riding, but I don't like to be leaning over a lot either, something in between works for me and you can get quite a bit of adjustment with the handle bars to get what you want.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #56  
My wife bought a bike with the front shock and gel seat and I took it for a spin. It is like riding on air. Nowhere the amount of road vibration compared to without one.

I really like your avatar. That little is really working hard! Cute. Yours?

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #57  
EE_Bota said:
I advised against single speed, so clearly I am not going to go on to suggest a single speed bike. You suggested he go to Walmart and get a single speed there...nothing wrong with that, but he is now more interested in multiple speeds, as I hoped he would be.

The bike I bought does have the riding position he described, and the tire style he is headed toward. Folks are saying he should avoid suspension, and that's fine...probably appropriate, but my suspension doesn't actually seem to flex unless I hit a major bump and it is adjustable.

In terms of simple, lubing a shaft and a hub once a year with a grease gun seems simpler than the chain stuff to me, and there is far less noise too.

In short, I suggested a bike I believed he would like, just one more for him to think about, so I haven't wronged him in any way. It said it was a bit expensive, but I didn't "float a loan" to buy a bicycle. Lots of folks drop far more on a bike, but this bike is likely my only bike for the rest of my life, so I decided not to sweat the small stuff.

My reply was that the OP originally suggested he was looking at a simple bike. Your suggestion tried steer him away from his thoughts. Both your and my suggestions was early in the thread. His thoughts may have evolved, but that doesn't change that what I suggested is what he was looking for. Nor did I try to lead him away. Buying a bike that cost nearly a grand is quite a leap from an ordinary bike. I've never as an adult got my pants caught in a chain. If he wants to pay anywhere from 700 to 1500 bucks then buy a bike like yours. He didn't mention budget so your bike may be what he's after. I really don't know why some people have to press their opinion when it's not in the best interest of the OP. If your argument is that the OP has changed his mind and wants to spend a grand then so be it. My comment to you was he wasn't interested in your type of bike by his own words. You decided he was wrong and pressed your suggestion and discounted mine. Good for you.

Posted with iPad 2 iOS v5.1 -TBN v1.5.16

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #58  
You really need to ride a bike a little bit to see if it feels comfortable for you. The problem is that the more you ride, the more an uncomfortable bike that is designed right will become comfortable and a cheap bike will become uncomfortable. This happens with time and many, many miles.

As a beginner, I highly suggest going cheap. If it becomes a passion, then you can spend a lot of time researching what you want and finding the best deal for your budget. Until then, go to Walmart, sit on a few bikes, sneak off down the isle real quick to see how it feels and buy the one you like the best.

90% of all excersize equipment, including bikes, are used for a very short period of time, and then they become dust collectors. Do not spend a lot of money on something that you do not know if you will even use it.

The more you spend, the lighter, stronger and smoother the bike becomes. There is are big differences at first, then they become very minor and in most cases, not even noticable. Yet every improvement has a price tag, and the higher up you go, the smaller those improvements are and the harder it is to notice them.

A buddy of mine who was very overweight was big into riding mountain bikes. Mostly he road downhill and he was into the full suspension. He wasn't very fast, but it was a big hobby of his and something that he enjoyed. He spend hundreds of dollars on a lighter seat that was just a couple of ounces lighter then the one he had. He was very proud of that seat, but he didn't lose any more weight, get any stronger or go any faster. It was just an expense to be able to say he had a titanium seat.

Eddie

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #60  
I was at a bike store last year pondering some of the same things you are. A 26" Trek medium grade hybrid bike with fork shocks looked real nice and cost about $400 if I remember. I didn't get it because I already have a 26 " bike at home I hate and is hung up on the rafters in the garage. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on it this year yet and if it will eventually be hanging next to the other one, who knows. Sometimes you just have to go for a good one.

What seems counterproductive is, I can get a nice lightweight bike that is easy pedaling, but then if I am tipping 75# overweight, it will still be a lot of work. But hopefully weight loss will company a easy pedaling bike.

A case in point; I took my tractor in to the dealership 11 miles away. I threw my bike in the bucket and away I went. I dropped the tractor off and headed home. Within 1/4 mile up a slight grade I was sucking wind. :muttering: The whole trip had slight inclines and drops with about 3/4 of it being level. I think I averaged 5 miles an hour. I was ready to walk it home, but I hung in there but back in the rafters it went. Would I be more apt to ride a better bike to get on a weight-loss regimen that a cheapo bike. I don't know, but I would think so. But, it will still be difficult for the first few hundred miles.