Need box blade help

/ Need box blade help #1  

atlkep1

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kioti DK40SE HST w/2nd rear remote. (I plan to install TNT on this tractor.) And now it's time to pick a box blade . . .

I plan to use this tractor to maintain my .5 mile driveway, uphill to the top of the mountain, and to keep open the woods roads that are currently here. I will also be clearing some additional land, so there may be some moving of dirt for leveling out areas.

I have my BB choices down to 3:
1. KK Pro hinged back 72" 550# $1085
2. EverythingAttachments Xtreme 72" 635# $1090
3. EverythingAttachments Xtreme 78" 680# $1137
(The EA Xtreme BBs have a fixed back)

Based on my lurking here abouts, I know the 3 main things to look for in a BB are weight, weight, and weight, so I'm inclined to just go for the EA 78".

But, I have some questions (it's why I come here:confused:)
1. Does anyone have an EA Extreme BB? Are you happy with it?
2. I don't think the 78" will be a problem for the DK40 . . . .will it?
3. Given how I intend to use it, is there an advantage to the hinged back BB that would move it ahead of the EA Xtreme, even tho it's giving up 130#. I have read many, many threads on fixed/hinged backs on the BBs and am still somewhat confused about the advantages of a hinged back.

As always, your input will be sincerely appreciated.

Keith

/ Need box blade help #2  
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kioti DK40SE HST w/2nd rear remote. (I plan to install TNT on this tractor.) And now it's time to pick a box blade . . .

I plan to use this tractor to maintain my .5 mile driveway, uphill to the top of the mountain, and to keep open the woods roads that are currently here. I will also be clearing some additional land, so there may be some moving of dirt for leveling out areas.

I have my BB choices down to 3:
1. KK Pro hinged back 72" 550# $1085
2. EverythingAttachments Xtreme 72" 635# $1090
3. EverythingAttachments Xtreme 78" 680# $1137
(The EA Xtreme BBs have a fixed back)

Based on my lurking here abouts, I know the 3 main things to look for in a BB are weight, weight, and weight, so I'm inclined to just go for the EA 78".

But, I have some questions (it's why I come here:confused:)
1. Does anyone have an EA Extreme BB? Are you happy with it?
2. I don't think the 78" will be a problem for the DK40 . . . .will it?
3. Given how I intend to use it, is there an advantage to the hinged back BB that would move it ahead of the EA Xtreme, even tho it's giving up 130#. I have read many, many threads on fixed/hinged backs on the BBs and am still somewhat confused about the advantages of a hinged back.

As always, your input will be sincerely appreciated.

Keith

Realizing you are asking about a box blade, I've found them to be one of the worst pieces of equipment offered to build and maintain a drive or level dirt. If we watch the videos on their use we usually see them starting on flat ground and that's just not the real world.

For your drive maintenance and leveling work the implement in the link below is superior to any BB made that hooks to Harry Ferguson's 3 point system.

Also drag box blades are made for moving dirt that do a real good job.

Hoelscher Commercial Products - GR Grader

/ Need box blade help #3  
Box blades are very useful for certain work. My old (small one) had a fixed back blade and I strongly perfer that over the hinged back. I wasn't able to find a fixed back blade when I was shopping a couple of years ago and I ended up with a Bush Hog BB. It works but I would still prefer the fixed back since it lets you grade better.

For serious grading work, you need the ripper teeth, of course.

For work in the woods, you don't want it too wide so that it restricts your maneuverability. But I would get one at least a few inches wider than your tire tracks.

Ken

/ Need box blade help #4  
I have been using an old TSC BB - read cheap - to maintain my 5400' gravel drive for more than 10 years. It's done a great job overall for little money. Graders and the like do a fantastic job, I imagine, but cost more than twice as much. The BB for filling in ruts and washouts and a cheap old scraper blade enable me to only have to add gravel rarely - and make the drive look good. I use a rock rake - rented for $10 for the morning - once or twice a year to pull more in, remove sticks & leaves, and push out larger rocks that emerge.

I think the BB - mine does not have the hinged back - works quite well, depending on how you use it. You have to have gentle touch and never grade when the ground under the gravel is soft.

/ Need box blade help #5  
Having cut and leveled most of the yard around my house and then tackled the driveway with a box blade I only have one thing to add. Invest in a hydraulic top link for your tractor. From the confort of the seat you can instantly control the depth and agressiveness of the cut. It pays for itself in fuel with the time saved from having to get off and adjust manually.

/ Need box blade help #6  
Kieth, all grading is done best with heavy implements as you have stated. the heavier the better as long as the tractor can handle the weight and load that is put on the tractor. There are many implements that work for grading a road, each excels at it's intended purpose as well as having different costs to purchase. I have the 4 most common, a landscape rake, a rear blade, a box blade and a grader blade. I maintain over 2 miles of road, 1/2 mile of it shared with neighbors. I cannot imagine not using my grader blade. By far the single best implement to maintain a road in my opinion. I know that they cost more, but if maintenance is the main purpose, then they are the way to go. ;)

Oh, 72" is a good width for your tractor.

Attachments

• PC290001.JPG
    PC290001.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 954
  • PC290007.JPG
    PC290007.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 240
   / Need box blade help
I will definitely be doing the TnT (ordered today from FitRite) as I have learned from my readings here that this is the way to make one of these tools even more usable.

Since I've got a couple of weeks before the TnT shows up, let me ask another question.

I have stumbled onto a used Woods (Gill) rollover box blade now. This thing weighs in @ 802# and is 72", which would cover the rear tires on the DK40SE.

Would this tractor have any problem with this box blade?

Keith

/ Need box blade help #8  
I will definitely be doing the TnT (ordered today from FitRite) as I have learned from my readings here that this is the way to make one of these tools even more usable.

Since I've got a couple of weeks before the TnT shows up, let me ask another question.

I have stumbled onto a used Woods (Gill) rollover box blade now. This thing weighs in @ 802# and is 72", which would cover the rear tires on the DK40SE.

Keith

GET IT, GET IT NOW. That is the perfect box blade for your tractor. You will not be sorry once you get it. ;) In fact you would probably be on :cloud9:

/ Need box blade help #9  
I have a 84" bb for my dk and it is no problem for the tractor. I use it in the woods all the time and it has never seemed to hinder me. The 72" would be a good choice I would not go any smaller the that.

/ Need box blade help #10  

Keith

I have to agree with Brian on get it now. They don't make them any more, but that is exactly the one I want to find next year to use with mk DK45SE. I've liked those rollover blades ever since I saw them working out in LA when I was a kid. Most of the landscapers used them behind 8N or NAA Fords.

Good luck!