need box blade option opinion's

/ need box blade option opinion's #1  

BigDog1956

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1710 4x4 FEL-back blade-KK box blade
tractor 1.JPGHey All, I think a box blade w/teeth is best option for my summer project, here goes I have some ground I'am clearing and leveling behind garage-very in-level.
1. using a 1710 4x4 FEL-27HP
2.4ft or 5ft box ???
3 will I be stopped by root's if I only use 1 cutting tooth starting out ON ROOT"S ????
4. seem's like a 4ft box would be too light ????

***hoping to hear real user feedback-good-bad, sure I'm missing something, thanks for any input.....

/ need box blade option opinion's #2  
Hey BigDog, I am using a King Kutter 5' Box Blade and it works great.
I would use all the teeth and just go slower. Every time I have hit roots it has busted them up and keeps on going. For larger roots you may have to go over it more than once.

/ need box blade option opinion's #3  
Use a 5 ft. to be a little wider than tractor . Use all the rippers or at least 1 in the middle and one on each end . You want shanks mounted in a tube and not angle iron if you are dealing with roots . Better to stop the tractor than tear up the ripper mount .Spend the money and get a heavy built unit .

/ need box blade option opinion's
Thanks mddorange, Do you think your KK is way stronger than the TSC 5fter ? I'am worried about ROOT's that's why I thought 1-3 teeth at first trying to not tear up equipement ? I do plan on going slow and taking my time....

/ need box blade option opinion's #5  
Thanks mddorange, Do you think your KK is way stronger than the TSC 5fter ? I'am worried about ROOT's that's why I thought 1-3 teeth at first trying to not tear up equipement ? I do plan on going slow and taking my time....

I have a standard 60" KK box blade for my 4x4 Ford 1920.
I live 6 miles from a TSC store, and see the Tarter Gate BBs in their yard all the time.
The KK is definitely a better built/stronger BB than the Tarter Gate.
For $100+ bucks more though, you can get a KK Professional BB, which is still better (for higher HP tractor).
Until March 12th, you can order a KK 60" BB on line, from Blaine's Farm & Fleet for $539.99 + $119.73 delivery to Sault St. Marie,... for a total of $659.72.(no tax)
I doubt you can beat that price anywhere.
I have ordered several KK implements from Blaine's, and they have been great people to deal with.
I do not know if Blaine's sells the KK professional model, but the KK standard BB will likely be very adequate for your needs.
It is a solidly built piece of equipment!

fried1765, thanks for your reply, I just looked at the TSC 5fter, can see the 2 week point's to be careful of-they are 539. +tax right now, seem's like the KK would be the better deal for only about $70. more.....I'll look for Blaine's website, thank's again.

fried1765, your the MAN (I owe you a beer) just ordered thru Blaine's web site-your number's were dead on, should get in 10 day's?
with NO tax that pay's almost half of shipping, You can see on the TSC box if your try to push in rev-the arm's will and do bend, look's like that's not a problem on the KK, if your ever in the YOOP you yell and we'll have 1.

Thank's again only paid about $50. more w/shipping.

/ need box blade option opinion's #8  
With only 20.4 drawbar HP, I doubt that you would damage any box blade nor the scarifier teeth. You just don't have the power or weight to put that much strain on it. I bought a Howse (now bankrupt) box blade in a medium weight when I bought my 45 HP Yanmar and never even bent a scarifier. I break one now and then when I use it on my 70HP tractor if I put it in 4 WD but in 2 WD it usually just slips the tires prior to breaking anything. It has the angle iron brace for the teeth and never damaged that piece, the teeth break first.

I think you will have no problem with your box blade. You may end up pulling thru with only one scarifier trying to cut thru roots if they are very big and then dropping the rest down to pull them out of the ground. If you have too many teeth in the ground you will just stall the tractor.

/ need box blade option opinion's #9  
fried1765, your the MAN (I owe you a beer) just ordered thru Blaine's web site-your number's were dead on, should get in 10 day's?
with NO tax that pay's almost half of shipping, You can see on the TSC box if your try to push in rev-the arm's will and do bend, look's like that's not a problem on the KK, if your ever in the YOOP you yell and we'll have 1.

Thank's again only paid about $50. more w/shipping.

I lived in Minnesota for 22 years, but Sault Saint Marie is WAY up there.
Live in Fl. now in winter, and Cape Cod & Nova Scotia in summer.
Love beer, but this 76 year old guy suffers from periodic gout flares.
Dr. says no beer!
I wonder if he really knows,.... or is just being mean.

Thanks Gary