Need Buying Advice!

/ Need Buying Advice! #11  
That's what I had figured. They all look exactly the same--expect with different plastics.

That's why I'm tilting towards something bigger (even though my property doesn't necessarily warrant it). It's more of a "hobby" for me so I wouldn't mind having something nice or interesting to play around with.

Any thoughts on the old Husq. R155 front mount?

In any event, I appreciate the replies--especially given my posts isn't exactly in the spirit of this forum.
For 3k, I'd probably go the the cub cadet dealer and see about an XT2 or XT3 with a deck in the 50 inch range.

/ Need Buying Advice! #12  
I think the Husky was more popular in Europe. They may still sell them there. I think the job of getting the best $3000 mower is pretty tough. Most have the lowest spec motors and non serviceable transmissions. They do pretty well on flat ground. I think you can expect 5-7 years before you start having problems.

/ Need Buying Advice! #13  
I also mow 1/3 acre. Bought a John Deere 42" cut lawn tractor with V-Twin (21 or 22 hp?) Briggs and Stratton engine from Lowe's in 2007 for about $2000. Used it for 15 years and sold it for $800. Never had any problems with the engine or transmission. Had to replace some parts on the mower occasionally that got banged up. Just bought the same mower again (now $2300 at Lowe's). Can't go wrong for the price.

/ Need Buying Advice! #14  
With your budget and if you’re handy with tools a smaller JD rider will last you a good long time. Proper maintenance on a new machine is the way to go.

/ Need Buying Advice! #15  
I like the idea or the front mount mower. im getting pushed in that direction myself. As i golf a lot in me yard and the cut is important to me. The problem with the rider i have is the front tires mash the grass down before the cutting deck. i notice this while chipping around the 3 acres. That front mount deck get the the grass first before the tires get a chance to roll it down.
The ones i seen here in Ohio seem to be $ 1500 and up for anything that looked worth buying.

I wonder what the down side is to a front mount machine?

/ Need Buying Advice! #16  
The mower decks on the JD riding mowers
are really crap! My brother-in-law took his
JD deck in to get welded and was told it would
take special welding to weld it JD used very
cheap metal to make the deck.
I have an MTD mower deck that I used for over
20 years and its still in good condition but the
JD deck only lasted a couple of years JUNK!!!
Tractor is OK

willy

/ Need Buying Advice! #17  
I don’t know about JD’s riding mowers but the mid mount mower decks for their tractors are pretty solid. I frequent a JD forum and hear problems with mowing decks but it’s never about them being weak or poor metal. The problems are more about the setup.

/ Need Buying Advice! #18  
I've been researching non-stop over the past week and my head is spinning! I don't know what is best for me. I hate to spend the money on a tractor and find out it's not a good fit for my property.
Should I just get a nice 42" standard rider?

Budget is $3k and under (with a heavy tilt toward under).
Where are you? Yes, too many choices... I'd probably just buy another rider, new. $1k for that used one is out of line. 42" deck is plenty big for 1/3 acre. Zero turns are nice, but you don't need one for that small lot. TSC, Lowe's, Farm & Fleet, Home Depot would all have want you need. Online w/delivery is an option, if you're not close to a store, but I would always recommend to shop local whenever you can...

/ Need Buying Advice! #19  
The mower decks on the JD riding mowers
are really crap! My brother-in-law took his
JD deck in to get welded and was told it would
take special welding to weld it JD used very
cheap metal to make the deck.
I have an MTD mower deck that I used for over
20 years and its still in good condition but the
JD deck only lasted a couple of years JUNK!!!
Tractor is OK

willy
Willy, depends... if it is one from a big box store then yes, those are pretty cheap. My x394 is a solid machine with a heavy deck. Depends on what you buy.