Need Clutch Help!

/ Need Clutch Help! #11  
I seems that my MF150 needs a clutch, but I figured that I would check with you guys first.
The Pto portion of the clutch hast worked for years, and it seemed to slip now and then, but never stopped.
Now it wont disengage. I adjusted the pedal to get a little more play, but that only lasted about an hour, so I adjusted it a little more to get it back to the barn. Now there is no adjustment left in the pedal, and it wont disengage. I thought that maybe the clutch was stuck, but it doesn't seem that adjusting the pedal would have helped?

I am going to ry some brake cleaner through the starter hole, but I have little hope.
My question is this, Do I need to break the tractor in half and put in a new clutch?/Do I need to replace the whole clutch? or Is there some specific part that is worn and not releasing the clutch plate?

Thanks for any help
Che`
G'day cobraclay.

A quick check of the transmission clutch clearance .

If you look at the clutch pedal and where it comes to rest on the footpeg ,it should have enough clearance to fit a finger between the pedal and the foot peg,that is the pedal should have Free play of about 3/8 ".
When this has ben checked and if it needs adjustment have a look at the clutch shaft and you will see a hole through the shaft I use a large philips head scrwedriver for no other reason that it is handy and easy to utilise, put the screwdriver through the hole then slowly loosen the clamp bolt that locks the pedal to the shaft,not to loose you want the pedal to stay where you put it ,with the pedal loosened of put the screwdriver in the hole from the top and pull towards the rear of the tractor with moderate force all you are doing is making sure the clutch release bearing is in contact with the clutch fingers,then holding it in this position adjust the clearance between the pedal and the stop to 3/8",still holding the screwdriver tighten the clamp bolt,tight.
When you have adjusted the clutch and it is still necessary to select gears the way you did before make sure the tractor is outside with plenty of room about it ,just for safety start the engine and set the hand throttle roughly 1000 rpm then select second High gear holding the clutch pedal down and apply the brakes as said before you are removing rust from the flywheel and the clutch cover, there is no need to be to violent with it just enough that you can feel the tractor pulling,

If after trying this for five minutes and there is no improvement let me know and we will go from there give as much information as possible even if it does not sound clutch related ,all information will help.

Regards .
Hutch.

/ Need Clutch Help! #12  
I seems that my MF150 needs a clutch, but I figured that I would check with you guys first.
The Pto portion of the clutch hast worked for years, and it seemed to slip now and then, but never stopped.
Now it wont disengage. I adjusted the pedal to get a little more play, but that only lasted about an hour, so I adjusted it a little more to get it back to the barn. Now there is no adjustment left in the pedal, and it wont disengage. I thought that maybe the clutch was stuck, but it doesn't seem that adjusting the pedal would have helped?

I am going to ry some brake cleaner through the starter hole, but I have little hope.
My question is this, Do I need to break the tractor in half and put in a new clutch?/Do I need to replace the whole clutch? or Is there some specific part that is worn and not releasing the clutch plate?

Thanks for any help
Che`

This is an older thread so I am not sure you will get too much of a response. But yes you will need to split the tractor, if it is anything like my 240.

/ Need Clutch Help! #13  
cobraclay,

I had posted this to another thread for a grinding tranny, so I just copied and pasted here. Your problem sounds a lot like the on I was having. Here is what I found on my MF.

I had a problem with the clutch in my 265 Massey. The problem was, it was hard to go in gear from sitting still with the engine idled all the way down. I would have to select the gear I wanted and start in and then bump the high/low shifter in gear. I tried adjusting the clutch and that helped. then shortly after that I went out across the field and went to stop and clutched the tractor and it did not stop. WHOA! I got it back to the barn and went to work on it.
I broke it in half and come to find out one of the fingers on the clutch was broken and the piece was wedged in pressure plate and was not letting the clutch fully disengage. I replaced the clutch and all the parts associated with it and that took care of that.