Need electrical advice.

/ Need electrical advice. #1  

GrayBeard

Gold Member
I've got a problem with my tractor(Cub 7264). Even if your knowledge is not specific to Cub ; a gereral opinion may help.
For several months now, when I first start the machine in the morning the "battery light" stays on. So far there's no hesitation in starting just the light remains on. The light will not go out until you shut down and restart the engine; makes no difference if it runs 10 seconds or 20 min. It will cancel when the engine re-starts.
I've done the obvious in checking the battery(tests good at 2 different repair centers) and checked the wiring as best I could. (grounds) The "dash" panel is mostly electronic.
The Dlr. doesn't have any idea and he checked with Cub and they've not heard of a problem.
Right now , I'm kinda "stuck".
I could get a new battery but that's a little expensive just to experiment; given the recent battery test results.
Any ideas you have are appreciated.
Thanks, GrayBeard

/ Need electrical advice. #2  
swap in your car battery temporarily

/ Need electrical advice.
I thought about trying the car battery and probably should .
I have put the charger on the tractor battery to fully charge it before starting but still no change. (it came to full chg. in just a few minites)
It's always the first "start" of the day she acts up.
I guess I'll try another battery to try to totally eliminate that part.
Thanks

/ Need electrical advice. #4  
I don't think it's really likely, but it sounds like you have an intermittent connection problem. Trace the wire to the alternator and make sure the connection is clean. Brush it with a wire brush until it's good and shiny and replace it on the alternator. You may consider doing this to any of those connections. The only other thing I can think is that a switch in the alternator is not releasing after the first start, but I can't imagine why it would after a second.
You might also blow out the alternator really good with compressed air just in case some type of trash is interfering with something. Couldn't hurt. John

/ Need electrical advice. #5  
It sounds like a bad connection to me as well. I'd clean and tighten all the connections and see if that helped your problem. This is a puzzler but then most wierd electrical problems are. An old electrician once told me that 95% of all electrical problems are bad connections.

/ Need electrical advice. #6  
like koity said it is the alt not the battery that is causing this:

the light only reads what the alt charging circuit is running at voltage wise. like he said check the connections to the alt plugs. a simple on/off should make better contact.

the next step is to check the voltage of the battery first thing with out motor running should be ~12.6 volts with no-load, with it running the alt should be putting out and makeing a reading of ~14.4 volts. if it is not then it is either the ALT or the Voltage Regulator (which not sure how you'res is equiped) but usually this is an indication of a voltage regulator going out expecially when it goes away after re-starting. if the reading is low and the light is ON after the first start then I would also check for a voltage regulator and pull the plug off and re-connect it to try the test again.

Mark M

/ Need electrical advice. #7  
I would agree it's probably a bad connection.
Be sure to double check ground wire from battery to engine. Remove it, then install. May be paint or corrosion under the connection.

/ Need electrical advice.
All,
Thanks for the input.
I'll double check all the connections again and try to do the voltage check.
I also thought it may be a "glitch" in the dash panel itself.
I'll no doubt confirm the battery before long on the first 0 degree morning... but I'd like to avoid that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I just don't think it's the battery ?
GrayBeard

/ Need electrical advice. #9  
Check the alternator belt and see if it needs replacing or tightening.

The first start is the hardest on the battery. The alternator has to put out more juice to re charge the battery and requires more power from the belt. If loose or bad it isn't spinning the alternator enough to extinguish the lamp.

Troubleshoot the cheap and easy stuff first.

/ Need electrical advice. #10  
I don't know how many hours your tractor has, and how long you have this problem.
I had similar problem on neighbours truck. Cause for that were worn brushes on alternator. Symptom was similar to yours at the beginning, and after it was steady light.
We took alternator off, pull out brush holder, and replace brushes.
Since then, no problem.
Is voltage regulator mechanic or electronic (integrated with brush holder or separate)?
When tractor is running, and light is on, try to bridge DF conn point to +12V shortly (VIA 12V, 21W BULB!!! NOT DIRECTLY).
If control lamp stop lighting, problem is probably somewhere in wiring, and if no there is some defect in alternator/regulator.

Hope this helps