Insurance Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor????

/ Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor???? #1  

widmn

Silver Member
Tractor
JD870
To protect me against theft, accidents, etc. in WV. Who should I call??
I insure currently thru USAA but they don't seem to cover tractors.

/ Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor???? #2  
(((To protect me against theft, accidents, etc. in WV. Who should I call??
I insure currently thru USAA but they don't seem to cover tractors. ))))
Your bio say's Pa. will the tractor be at your home ?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
DougM

/ Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor????
Nope it is in WV on property I own there now.

/ Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor???? #4  
Normally your homeowners insurance will cover your tractor while on your own property if stolen. If you want a policy that is more inclusive (accidents, spill cleanup, operation off property, etc) then call a local agent and inquire about an Inland Marine policy.

Inland Marine (no it's not a company but a type of insurance) has been discussed many times here on TBN. Just do a search for "Inland Marine". Here are a few:

Tractor Insurance
more insurance
a real good one

/ Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor???? #5  
Call a few companies to get quotes and include the tractor as part of the quote.

/ Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor???? #6  
widmn, I also have USAA insurance and I think your talking to someone who doesn't understand at USAA. My wife worked there for 18 years hence the coverage as I'm not retired military although I'd sure be proud if I were I just fell thru the cracks between wars and never felt the need to enlist unless there was a war to fight and now I'm to old.
Your tractor is covered typically if you meet numerous guidelines the first and most important consideration being that your not using it in a business ag related or not. If your using it to maintain your property they will except it just like any personal property you just need to make sure that your limits are great enough to cover it as I had to increase my coverage limits another 50K to cover it and all the implements. I will tell you they didn't like it much but thats the rules I did have to fax them receipts to prove that I had this equipment as its very unusuall to have a homeowner not involved in farming with a 90HP tractor. They even threatened me with underwriting as this should scare most people to have some little guy in an office deciding what is right for you but that didn't scare me in the least because I'm only 30 miles from their main office and I figured if they gave me much flack I could go wring the guys neck and have a field inspector come see my 347 acre back yard to prove I was not commercially farming it. It is OK to have a very big garden /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif you just can't have employees working the farm equipment and selling the produce.
Steve

/ Need Good insurance recommendation for tractor???? #7  
The key is the tractor is not on your personal residence. I have the same issue and got some great advice from a couple of TBN members. Check with your local Farm Bureau, do a search on the web and you will find them. For my area they insure through Country Financial Services. I am currently working through an agent so I don't know what my quote is yet.

I am also checking with State Farm, a couple of members also have policies through them, with their tractors located places other than their residence.