Need help: Buy skid steer or not

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not #1  

jamtuc

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
A Buddy of mine acquired a bobcat 610 recently in a trade, mentioned selling it as he already has a skid steer. Course I start thinking "New Toy" I was wondering if anyone knows what I should look for as far as common problems or for that matter uncommon problems. I do know it has a Wis 4cyl and does not have aux hydraulics. More information to follow when he has a chance to look at it.

Which brings more questions to mind.
Can I add Aux Hyd?
What is the flow rate of the aux if it is available?
How can you tell what year it was manufactured?

My wife keeps asking..."What are you going to use it for again" to which I reply "Well you know I can do stuff and move things and theres also that stuff that I might be able to do if I need to and ......." You get the picture.

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not
Just kidding about that last part. Even though I cant come up with one solid reason to buy it my wife is great she always supports me. Even when I blow things up.

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not #3  
Those 610's are really old machines. The parts are very limited on those machines now. Also, the 610's gave a lot of trouble in the drive chains. However, the engine on a 610 is an engine that will run forever. Thats really the only good thing on a 610.:D

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not #4  
I'd run away the gasser Wisconsin is notorious for not starting.

Find a diesel with hydrostat drive vs belt drive on a 610 & be a much much happier camper.

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not #5  
If you are wanting a tractor for using around your land, I'd get a compact farm tractor over a skid steer. While the skid steers have their place, they really suck to spend the day in, they don't have a PTO to mow with and they have such small buckets that there's no real advantage to them. Then there is the damage that they do to the lawns!!!!

Eddie

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not #7  
I have to agree with the others go for something with a diesel and newer. Nothing against skidsteers they are a great machine especially if they have tracks

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not #9  
Well first off Im one that is always looking for a deal so I havent seen this answer yet and it would have been my first ??? How much do you want ??????? If the price is right buy it and try it out see how it works for you and if you dont like it or it doesnt work for you put it on craigslist and either make money on it or break even. Ive seen alot of posting on here where someone is interested in buying a piece of equipment and most of the peole talk that person out of it right from the getgo. Thats why I will always ask price first. If I can buy it right , take it home and use it and if I dont like it or it doesnt work for me sell it Its kind of like ..... The 2 best days of boat ownership....... The day you buy it and the day you sell it!!!!!!!!!! Now thats my opinion but for sure not everyones opinion and that is fineI just feel that more people need to experience the item and really make their own decision. I had a Bobcat 610 that was sitting for 5 yrs outside, it was LP also. I took it home, cleaned it up got it running used it for 3 yrs with no problems always started and ran I put probably 500 hrs on it sold it and doubled my $$$$$$. I found out I liked skid loaders for my operation bought a NH with a Kubota diesel in it for what I sold the Bobcat for!!!! I guess my point is dont be so quick to tell someone NO to something, everone situation is different. V

/ Need help: Buy skid steer or not
Thanks for all the replies. Eddie I already have a B1700 with an FEL and was looking at a skid steer for cleaning out the barn, moving some hay, and a little more digging power.
As for the price he is asking me 2500 and will let me make payments to him.

The things that concerned me was:
We dont know what year it is or how many hours it has on it.
I do not know if installing Aux hydraulics is a big task.
Availability of parts.
I know it does have a hydraulic cylinder leaking.
Needs paint.
Needs Tires.

I know I would rather have a newer bigger machine. I appreciate all the comments and views. Any information you have on this machine is appreciated.