Need help buying a mini excavator

/ Need help buying a mini excavator #11  
I have a Bobcat 430 excavator with steel treads. It weighs in at 8100 lbs & is in the class of the Kubota 121. I have a Kubota M5700 tractor I bought new & went to the same dealer for the excavator. He said he could get parts for the bobcat faster than the Kubota. At that time, bobcat was offering 3.9% interest for 48 months. I traded in a woods 9000 backhoe which was practically new. The bobcat felt real tippy at first but I'm getting used to it, but still have much to learn. It set be back about 45K.

/ Need help buying a mini excavator #12  
I'm not on a soap box, just adding info. As a comparable, a Komatsu PC-40 / 8900# grey market unit with about 1300 hrs, you can expect to pay less than $20,000 US.

Attachments

• 731823-Komatsu PC 40-7.jpg
    731823-Komatsu PC 40-7.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 732
   / Need help buying a mini excavator #13  
Yup,, I have 2 98 model PC40-8 w/ steel tracks and rubber pads (no rubber tracks) for sale and they are under $20K.

Darin

Attachments

• 732373-DSC02859.JPG
    732373-DSC02859.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 347
   / Need help buying a mini excavator #14  

Montana Jack, let me know if you are still monitoring this forum. I just bought a cwt for my 430 (tippy, I agree, when pushed to its limits) which should help. I'll report on it if you remind me (has not come yet).

Jim

Mt Burgha on the Rivanna in VA

/ Need help buying a mini excavator #15  
Jim,
I'd be interested in any info you could give me on that couterweight option. I didn't even know such a thing existed. The tippiness of the 430 is the only negative I have so far, but believe it will be less of a factor as I gain more experience. Thanks, Jack.

/ Need help buying a mini excavator #16  

HI, Jack,

Sorry to be so long in responding.

I've installed the cwt in my 430 and here are my observations:

1- It was a bear to put in, with space tight. I had to tinker with the latch several times, and it is still too tight. I'd get the dealer to do the install, prob worth the money.

I may wind up trimming some of the tail door insulation to alleviate the tightness, or may wait to see what the dealer's mech says next time I take it in.

2- My perception is that noise is worse since I went "heavy". Especially in the lower ranges.

3- When I first used it after the install, I found things more stable, less wobble, etc, when slinging heavy buckets of wet mud & sand out of a catch pull before my pond. Normally I would experience a lot more shaking, etc, before I installed the cwt.

The real test will be using my wainroy, around 200# of side-to-side swinging add-on. Haven't used it yet.

But, overall, a good thing, just not perfect.

HTH, Jim