Need help finding a new welder?

/ Need help finding a new welder? #1  

tracman1

I am in search of a new welder and have been speaking with miller and lincoln but they are a little to pricey for me at the time so if anyone knows where I can start to look in search of a new welder please be sure to let me know...thanks in advance

/ Need help finding a new welder? #3  
I am in search of a new welder and have been speaking with miller and lincoln but they are a little to pricey for me at the time so if anyone knows where I can start to look in search of a new welder please be sure to let me know...thanks in advance

hit ebay and craigslist.

lots of good ol plain ac buzz boxzes out there. just last week a fellow here stumbled onto a 100$ unit that came with a hood and some rod.

a GREAT starter machinbe or farm machine.

heck my welder is ac only.. hobart 235xl stickmate. does everything I need on my farm..dc is NICE.. IF you need it..

soundguy

/ Need help finding a new welder? #4  

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" . Hold out and save a few more bucks and get one of the "real" big 4 or so welders, I've have a blue one and 2 red ones.:thumbsup:

/ Need help finding a new welder? #5  
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" . Hold out and save a few more bucks and get one of the "real" big 4 or so welders, I've have a blue one and 2 red ones.:thumbsup:

I agree with Rusty. You did say a new welder, not a new to you welder. There are a lot of really cheap welders out. But they seem to create more frustration than satisfaction although occasionaly they do work out, but rarely.

I would look on craiglist as someone mentioned for the old try and true stick welders. I got a Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt at an auction of a commercial business last year for $20 since no one else wanted it. After spending about $100 on cables and connectors, I have a very nice rig.

I recently spent about $1,800 on a new Millermatic 211 (MIG) out the door with a tank of gas, spoolgun, consumables. The basic welder was about $1,000. Don't forget the cost of consumables when buying whatever you buy.

/ Need help finding a new welder? #6  
I bought a Hobart Handler 210 from Northern Tool a couple of years ago. It's set up for mig or flux core. I have never used it as mig because I have a small mig only machine.
I made a bushhog out of 3/8 plate and several other welding projects with never a problem. I noticed in the latest catalog they now include a spool gun with the basic package.
Anyway, it gets my vote.
HTH
Leroy

/ Need help finding a new welder? #7  
Welcome Tracman1.

I'll echo others comments about holding out for a Lincoln or Miller (I have a Miller). You might look at a Hobart as they are owned by ITW (Illinois Tool Works), which also owns Miller. Hobart's are generally lower in price than Miller's.

/ Need help finding a new welder? #8  
A Lincoln AC225 can be had for 100 bucks and is a great welder. Heck, I think they're only like $225.00 new.

/ Need help finding a new welder? #9  
Good advice here especially for the Lincoln AC225 and the Hobart 210. I have both of these (just got the Hobart a couple of months ago) and they are both very nice machines. A Hobart 187 would also be worth considering. The 210 is setup for mig (75 Argon / 25 CO2 shielding gas) but I've used it with flux core wire also. Both work fine (the flux in fact will give slightly more penetration), but I prefer using the shielding gas since you won't have to deal with cleaning up slag and there's a little less splatter.

The Lincoln AC225 works well for heavier material, but the Hobart is quicker and easier to use, especially for tack welding. For mig welding, you'll also have to keep in mind the cost of buying an argon/co2 bottle and a welding cart.

A couple of days ago I used the 210 to build a nice 3-point pallet mover out of some scrap steel I got from a manufacturing company. I made the forks out of 2x4 11 gauge (1/8) rectangular tubing and the frame was made from 1.5 x 3 channel. The forks are a full 48 inch long usable length, and I used it to move some 1200 pound pallets of brick off my trailer. I wanted to test the forks for strength and deflection, so I intentionally loaded the pallets on the end of the forks. With this much leverage my front tires wanted to leave the ground, but the pallet mover didn't have any trouble.

The Lincoln would have worked fine for this as well (and cheaper), but the mig was quick and easy.

/ Need help finding a new welder? #10  
I would try a Lincoln or Miller mig unit. Even if you have to settle for a 120 volt one. They would be easier to find and easy to get rid of when your ready to upgrade. Stick is OK, I preffer the Mig on most of my stuff. Its just easier and neater to work with. Flux core makes it cheaper not having to have a tank of Ar/CO2 mix. If its really new nice Al or Ti fab work then I use my Lincoln Tig. A used lincoln mig 160amp. Cost my neighbor 180.00 complete and has been working for the last 3 years. Duty cycle stinks but its doable. I've done 1/2" with multi passes.