Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water?

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #1  

burntside bob

Hello
Need to cut off a 30 inch diameter wide culvert (it's too long) thats all under water; two feet of water covers it.
I can not use a battery powdered sawall under water.
I do not want to dig up the whole culvert and distroying the road bed to cut off 12 feet.
Any suggestions?:confused:
Reply to posts:
the 24 inches is above the galvanized culvert so 54 inches above the invert of the culvert.
Black top on road surface.
Culvert was placed in ground too long when constructed, do not know why it was not shorten when installed, many years ago.
Beavers always plug the end of it, the people want it fixed.

Last edited:
   / Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #2  
Why is it underwater?

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #4  
Hello
Need to cut off a 30 inch wide culvert (it's too long) thats all under water; two feet of water covers it.
I can not use a battery powdered sawall under water.
I do not want to dig up the whole culvert and distroying the road bed to cut off 12 feet.
Any suggestions?:confused:

Is it an aluminum, galvanized or plastic culvert? Is 2 feet of water above the very top of the culvert? Or is the 30" diameter correct and water is 24" from the bottom of the culvert. Is the culvert diameter 30" and also, what is the total length of the culvert and how long must it end up being? How much gravel is over the top of the culvert? I hate to be dense but unless we know this stuff or see a picture it might be hard to give advice. :confused:

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #5  
Why do you even need to cut it now ?

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #6  
Use air tool.
+1

i am guessing there is no near by power, so generator, plus air compressor, plus an air tool.

such as a reciprocating saw ran off of compressed air.

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #7  
Could you get a pump to temporarily pump the water out or lower the level enough to use power tools on at least a portion of the culvert?

If you can't do that, you'll have to hire one of those scuba guys with one of those torches that work under water. He'll look kind funny scuba-ing in two feet a water, but he'll get the job done. And you'll have to find room for his little scuba boat to dive off of.

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #8  
Whatever you do, take pictures before the tractor falls in the water, and before you cut your scuba line with the air tool, so we can see what this looks like.

I think the poster's air tool idea is good, assuming being underwater won't destroy the tool before you can finish. I'm also not sure how fast the wheel would turn with the drag of the water. But unless you can hold your breath a really long time you're going to need a scuba tank.

You can torch cut/weld underwater, but if you knew how to do that you probably wouldn't need to ask.

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #9  
He'll look kind funny scuba-ing in two feet a water, .

He says the water is 54" above top of invert, so the 2' of water is above the top of the culvert.

/ Need Help, how does one cut off a culvert thats all under water? #10  
Get a 30 30, a lawn chair, cooler full of beer and a spot light. Shoot the beavers, problem solved.