Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #1  

badski78

Tractor
MF231
My neighbor damaged the cross bar on his rotary cutter. He was looking for a part and price before he stared to try an repair, but h is having no luck. The rotary cutter appears to have no MFG tag. Maybe it was repainted - currently blue. It has a Warner Auburn Ind gear box. I have attached some pictures and a PDF from his measurements. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• BH1.jpg
    BH1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 209
  • BH6.jpg
    BH6.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 212
  • BH5.jpg
    BH5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 158
  • cutter.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 121
   / Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #2  
Unless he can identify the manufacturer and buy the OEM part, he'll probably have to find a local fabrication shop and get one made.

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #3  
It probably isn't as hard as that, but you might have to do a little research. Number of splines, depth of clearance from the bottom of the deck, and basically just the overall dimensions should get you close enough to finding a piece that will work. HOWEVER, since he has torn it up once, it is obvious that it isn't working the way he needs it to work. I would seriouly consider finding a stump jumper with the same spline set up (pretty standard, couple of different sizes) and overall diameter and add my current blades to it, or just buy a complete stump jumper with blades and add it to the deck/gearbox.
David from jax

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #4  
Just take that one to a fab shop and have another made. Or do it yourself. The spline hub can be removed and reused. The rest looks like stock flat iron. (Probably why it broke.) Maybe some reinforcement is in order. Also, I think I saw those at Tractor Supply.

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #5  
After looking at the center pic a bit closer...I'd say he could fabricate one using "C" channel and that center splined section (if he can salvage that).
A stump jumper would be nice, but that's going to be a bit more involved.

As CCWKen wrote, a bit of reinforcement around those holes wouldn't be a bad idea.

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #6  
After looking at the center pic a bit closer...I'd say he could fabricate one using "C" channel and that center splined section (if he can salvage that).
A stump jumper would be nice, but that's going to be a bit more involved.

As CCWKen wrote, a bit of reinforcement around those holes wouldn't be a bad idea.

I have a new 12 spline 5 ft stump jumper for $179 + shipping. Of course, you would have to be careful with the blade length when using a new stump jumper. Ken Sweet

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #7  
bieing an old equipment junkie.. at first glance, I'd say that blade carrier looks pretty repairable by a competent welder/fabricator/machinist.

soundguy

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar
Thanks for the info. The neighbor figured he'd end up repairing in the long run but we've also been running the local circuit of implement dealers to see what they have in their piles out back.

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar #9  
keep in mind you can use a different size blade carrier or stump jumper, as long as the hub is correct and the blades matched the new size. We did that on a 7' cutter a while back.. just went to a dealer who matched our output spline for hte hub.. then we got a stump jumper and matched blade set for a 7' mower..

soundguy

/ Need help identifying a rotary cutter cross bar
Good point. I have not seen the neighbor in awhile - but I think the idea of putting the stump jumper, etc would be better than repair of existing. More protection. Thanks.