Need help identifying these parts

/ Need help identifying these parts #1  

Tangoddess

Bronze Member
Tractor
None yet
Hello and good morning,

We bought a used New Holland tractor, I believe it is a NH 3930. This is my first tractor, so I am a COMPLETE newbie to tractor ownership :) :)

I believe this part is broken, and I need to replace it.

Does anyone know what it is, and what part number I need to replace it with?

Is it a standard size? and can I order it online or do I need to go to the dealer or a Tractor supply/

Second, I got a bolt stuck somewhere in the PTO mechanism or the attachment mechanism....see the photo.

Can I just hammer/drill the bolt out? It was a replacement bolt I got for the PTO as the earlier one broke, and now this one got stuck

Any advice on how to go about these part repairs etc. please

It is VERY appreciated.

thank you kind people

Attachments

• IMG_62821 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_62821 (Medium).jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_62971 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_62971 (Medium).jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 145
   / Need help identifying these parts #2  
First picture is called an adjustable top link. Sometimes called a 3 point hitch top link. You can get them at most tractor supply stores. They come in different sizes so you will need to do some research on what size you need. I'm guessing your tractor would be a category 1 hitch and you can measure to get the length you need. These are adjustable but from the pix it appears yours is not adjustable anymore.

That broke bolt needs to be hammered out. Is that part of the bolt that holds the yoke onto the mower. If so you need to check and make sure your drive shaft is sliding in and out properly and it also may be too long. When installed properly the drive shaft should have at least a couple of inches of sliding room before it bottoms out.

Here's a link to the parts lingo: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...6-three-point-hitch-lingo-5-123320-3point-gif

/ Need help identifying these parts
@Steave

THANK YOU!!!

Can you clarify what you mean by "these are jot adjustable anymore" is that because it is broken....or is it because of some other issue/fixture on the machine?

thank you kind people

/ Need help identifying these parts #4  
It looks to be worn out. The top link is supposed to be adjustable and are not expensive to replace.

/ Need help identifying these parts #5  
It looks to me like the rod end closest to the implement is screwed all the way in, while the tractor side is screwed all the way out. Essentially the top link is just a big turnbuckle. One end has right hand threads and has left hand threads on the other. When the middle part is turned one direction, both ends should extend, and it should get shorter when turned the other direction. I think someone cheated and screwed the one end instead of adjusting it correctly.
You need to remove it from the tractor and screw both ends in as far as they will go by hand (lube the threads with oil first). Then connect the one end back onto the tractor. Then while holding the other rod end from turning, turn the middle part of the turnbuckle to extend both ends the same amount until it lines back up with the top hole on the implement. Then you should be able to fine tune the top link link it's supposed to work.

/ Need help identifying these parts #6  
@Steave

THANK YOU!!!

Can you clarify what you mean by "these are jot adjustable anymore" is that because it is broken....or is it because of some other issue/fixture on the machine?

thank you kind people

The top link that's installed on your tractor now appears to not be working properly. As stated by others it is suppose to be adjustable in length. A new one will be adjustable and allow you to set up your implements.

If you are completely new to tractors this may be confusing at first but plenty of good information about the set up of implements on your new tractor can be had by searching online and asking questions on TBN. Good folks on here can surely help you if they run across your question.

Nice tractor by the way. Newer and larger than mine and built to last many years.

/ Need help identifying these parts #7  
Turn the shaft until the bolt can be accessed and driven out. Then pull the shaft back away from the mower gearbox and align the hole I marked with an arrow with the hole that had the bolt. Insert a new bolt that fits the hole (probably 1/2") and add a nylon or similar locknut so it doesn't vibrate loose. That's the shear pin, designed to break under shock, to protect the tractor and mower.

Attachments

• Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 59
   / Need help identifying these parts #8  
Turn the shaft until the bolt can be accessed and driven out. Then pull the shaft back away from the mower gearbox and align the hole I marked with an arrow with the hole that had the bolt. Insert a new bolt that fits the hole (probably 1/2") and add a nylon or similar locknut so it doesn't vibrate loose. That's the shear pin, designed to break under shock, to protect the tractor and mower.
And make sure to use the right grade bolt. Too hard and you will break the gearbox, too soft and it will smear and be hard to get out.

Aaron Z

/ Need help identifying these parts #9  
It looks like that top link was possibly broken on the implement side and was welded in place. I don't see any levers for adjustment either.

/ Need help identifying these parts
Hello and good evening,

I had a young mechanic come over, and he replaced the top link. We bought a new one from TSC. It was about $~50, CAT 2.

He also hammered the bolt out of the shaft, and we bought a new battery, which may have been in haste, oh well.

Now, the issue is that we bought several Grade 5 shear bolts, 3/8 inch I think, 3 inches, but they kept breaking soon after turning the PTO ON:(

We even put a nylon locknut on each bolt

Do I need to get grade 8 shear bolts?

Or how do I get this fixed. The mechanic left, but I can put the bolt on myself if I can get it fixed.

thank you kind people