need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234

/ need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234 #1  

gpl2112

Tractor
hello all, any help would be appreciated. i needed to start my tratcor in about 28 degrees f. I have never had a problem with this tractor, but i don't run it much in snow/winter at all, a few times. i heated the glow plug(s)? not sure how many, its a 3 cylinder diesel mitsubishi i believe. it cranked fine but would not start,there was smoke from exhaust, i tried until the battery died and i put it on the charger. went to the store to get diesel starting fluid, got back and it started without fluid. i needed to start it again a couple days later, same problem, i gave it a spray before the battery died again, and it started right up,ran fine.. ran it for 20 -30 min, shut it down. then a couple days later i needed it again ,same problem, little spray, runs like new. it has good compression, it's getting fuel, (smoke from exhaust) sounds like it's cranking hard. It is much warmer outside now and it will not start without a squirt of spray. I have started it 3 or 4 times total with a tiny amount of spray, i ran it for 45 min last night, sounds great, i was able to shut it off then go back out after a half hour...it started right up,no spray... then i waited an hour...started right up. went out today, no start ...just cranking and light colored smoke. i did put winterizing additive in it. maybe too much? could it be the battery??? it cranks hard but loses cranking speed about 30 sec of cranking. will this model not start if it has a bad glow plug? its possible that i use the glow plug a lot in warm weather. if there was air in the fuel lines it would not run for 45 min.,correct ? oil is right, i changed the oil and all filters last fall, then ran it a lot. oil level,coolant, hydraulic fluids are fine. it has 250 hours.Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
   / need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234 #2  
I had a 33hp Mitsubishi tractor that did the same thing only would not start below 40 deg F.
I ran 12 gauge wire from the battery to the glow plugs installed and a push button switch to the glow plugs.

Push in the switch for a count of 20, problem solved.

/ need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234
thanks for the reply, it is about 60 here today and was 68 two days ago, and would not fire up. i'm not even sure where the glow plugs are on it, i will try to locate the electrical supply to them, i checked the fuses ,they all were fine

/ need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234 #4  
hello all, any help would be appreciated. i needed to start my tratcor in about 28 degrees f. I have never had a problem with this tractor, but i don't run it much in snow/winter at all, a few times. i heated the glow plug(s)? not sure how many, its a 3 cylinder diesel mitsubishi i believe. it cranked fine but would not start,there was smoke from exhaust, i tried until the battery died and i put it on the charger. went to the store to get diesel starting fluid, got back and it started without fluid. i needed to start it again a couple days later, same problem, i gave it a spray before the battery died again, and it started right up,ran fine.. ran it for 20 -30 min, shut it down. then a couple days later i needed it again ,same problem, little spray, runs like new. it has good compression, it's getting fuel, (smoke from exhaust) sounds like it's cranking hard. It is much warmer outside now and it will not start without a squirt of spray. I have started it 3 or 4 times total with a tiny amount of spray, i ran it for 45 min last night, sounds great, i was able to shut it off then go back out after a half hour...it started right up,no spray... then i waited an hour...started right up. went out today, no start ...just cranking and light colored smoke. i did put winterizing additive in it. maybe too much? could it be the battery??? it cranks hard but loses cranking speed about 30 sec of cranking. will this model not start if it has a bad glow plug? its possible that i use the glow plug a lot in warm weather. if there was air in the fuel lines it would not run for 45 min.,correct ? oil is right, i changed the oil and all filters last fall, then ran it a lot. oil level,coolant, hydraulic fluids are fine. it has 250 hours.Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

If it's cranking for 30 seconds, the battery is fine. Sure sounds like the glow plugs are not working. You may want to try 2-3 cycles of glow plugs before cranking next time.
I would caution against the use of starting fluid, particularly on a routine basis.
Diesels need 3 things to run. Fuel, Air, and Compression. You may want to check the air intake for obstruction (rodents have a habit of nesting in there).

If it's cranking for 30 seconds, the battery is fine. Sure sounds like the glow plugs are not working. You may want to try 2-3 cycles of glow plugs before cranking next time.
I would caution against the use of starting fluid, particularly on a routine basis.
Diesels need 3 things to run. Fuel, Air, and Compression. You may want to check the air intake for obstruction (rodents have a habit of nesting in there).
thanks for replying, i did try the 3,4,5 cycles of plugs. no start.i think i found the glow plug wire, it is connected to a bar that spans across all three plugs .?. i'm a newbie to the glow plugs. I've had this tractor since 2018, it has been great, no problems. i think i use the glow plugs too much, like almost every time i start it,even in the summer. i was told that was the way. i am going to try to test the supply to the plugs...newbie at that, i just have the multimeter. i'm supposing it starts with the spray because it's way more flammable? thanks again i will report back.

/ need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234 #6  
It sounds like glow plug issue to me also. im not sure of tym glow plug system. I know my kioti has a fuse and a relay, plus a control module that determines cycle time. You need to verify if plugs are getting power when starting. My tractor uses glow plus all the time, i even see it cycle in summer.

/ need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234 #7  
Not sure but I think your tractor might have the MHI S3L engine. Here’s a link from the Mahindra forum about a similar situation. Hope it helps. If you do. Search on the Mahindra forum you’ll find a number of post old similar problems and solutions

yes, thank you all, i tested the voltage going in to the glow plug rail thing, it was getting 12 plus volts, i ordered glow plugs, then decided to clean the old ones...every little connector. nothing looked dirty, but i traced all of the wiring and saw no varmint nests etc. i tightened everything down, and it started without spray. it took some cranking...but no spray. i will put in the new plugs, probably can't hurt, and i learned a bit about my tractor, i am lucky to have had no problems until now (5-6 years). the owner of the company where we bought it was super friendly and helpful,he wanted to start with cranking amps as i had never put a new battery in it. I appreciate everyone, i will update starting it cold in the morning.

/ need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234 #9  
thanks for the reply, it is about 60 here today and was 68 two days ago, and would not fire up. i'm not even sure where the glow plugs are on it, i will try to locate the electrical supply to them, i checked the fuses ,they all were fine

Both my tractors will start without glow plugs at 60 degrees, they might have to crank a little longer. What engine is in your TYM?

Edit: never mind I see you said Mitsubishi.

/ need help, I'm stumped, starting issue, tym 234 #10  
I would replace the battery also. Needs lots of amps to run glow plugs.