Need help! Orange or Blue?

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #1  

Devin_Anderson

I thought you all might be able to give me some much needed info on which tractor to buy. I need some help deciding between New Holland TC24D with 756C BH and 12LA FEL or would a Kubota B7800 with a BL4690A BH and a LA402 FEL be better? They both are pretty comparable price wise and they are both from the same dealer so these two parts of the decision are taken care of. What I am wondering is, how much is the extra horsepower (30/22 PTO) of the 7800 is going to make a difference over the TC24D (24/18.5 PTO). Also I believe that the kubota back hoe has an independent hydraulic system, is this a better system? Does woods or another implement company make a better system than the NH or Kubota BH system. The literature I have rates them pretty comparable performance wise but how do they rate real world wise. I will not have the opportunity to test either of them due to the fact that most dealers do not carry them because there is not much of a demand for the smaller BH's. I am also trying to stay small so that the unit is able to get into tight places but I also want to make sure I have enough power that I can get in and out of those places with ease. How is the resale value on these two machines? Is one better than the other? Any info would be of great help. Thank you!

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #2  
Devin,
I don't think I can address many of your questions; however, I'll offer a couple of opinions for you.

<font color="blue">Does woods or another implement company make a better system than the NH or Kubota BH system. </font>

I have read on more than one occasion (on TBN) that the installation and use of 3rd party backhoes may void your manufacturer's warranty. Now, when I was pricing Kubotas, the dealer I spoke with priced a package for me that included a Woods backhoe. For Kubota, maybe 3rd party attachments are not a problem. As I understand it, the Kubota backhoes are 3ph units as are the Woods. Therefore, substituting a 3rd party BH may be OK. On NH tractors, the BH is subframe mounted. So, it may be reasonable for NH to frown on a BH that is engineered differently than those that were designed for their tractors.

<font color="blue">I will not have the opportunity to test either of them due to the fact that most dealers do not carry them because there is not much of a demand for the smaller BH's. I am also trying to stay small so that the unit is able to get into tight places </font>

I ordered my 756C blindly also. In fact, my dealer just returned my TC29D tonight with the newly installed BH. I didn't have a chance to try it out this evening so I cannot comment on its performance. Actually, as this is my 1st tractor and as I have never operated a BH before, I don't know that my opinion will be worth much even after I use it. The only thing I have to compare it to is a shovel so I'm sure I will be favorably impressed once I figure out how to use it. I will say this, it is smaller than I imagined. The operator station is quite cramped for me and I am not a large person. I did read in the operator's manual tonight that the seat position can be adjusted. So, tomorrow I will likely try to move the seat back a little to see if I can make things a little more comfortable.

I see you are in middle Georgia. I don't know how far you are from Newnan (just south of Atlanta), but if you want to come take a look at mine before you make a commitment, please feel free to ask.

Good luck with your tractor shopping.

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #3  
bmac

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As I understand it, the Kubota backhoes are 3ph units as are the Woods.)</font>

While the Woods backhoes can be subframe mounted, I think the majority of people (myself included) that buy them for their tractors opt for a subframe mount. Woods does have subframes available for many popular tractor brands.

I have a Woods 7500 with subframe and separate hydro pump and have 8" and 16" buckets.

As far as which is better...I know there are quite a few people on TBN that have Kubota hoes and quite a few with the Woods. We all seem to be pretty happy with them.

The only possible downside of a subframe mount hoe is that there is a small receiver bracket that remains on the tractor to accept the BH subframe. This small bracket might interfere with mid-mount mower operation. If you're going to use a mid-mount mower, it might be more convenient to use the Kubota 3 pt. hoe (or another mfg. that uses a different subframe type mount....Bradco maybe?).

I think an unofficial consensus around here is that if you choose a subframe mount, just about any mfg. should be O.K. without worrying about warranty issues. If you opt for a 3 pt. mount, I would suggest the Kubota hoe to eliminate any question about warranty problems.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #4  
BMAC, my Kubota/JD dealer will certainly sell you a Kubota or JD attachment, but even better then that, he finds out what works best or at least equal too the manufactuers equipment and offers it as an alternative when the price is better, especially when its a lot better. My local dealer is not known for being the cheapest dealer but I must say, when it comes to getting the best information available, he either knows it or how to get it. He's interested in knowing everything there is to know about the products he sells and whats available for them. Woods are the standard backhoe he sells for many of the compacts. Gearmore, a West Coast company supplies much of his hydraulics. I purchased a L3830 HST Kubota from him and inquired about the hydraulic TnT. The factory setup cost a bit more so he offers a great alternative which I took. I supplied my own Gannon top link which as it turned out was 4" to short for effective use on my boxscraper. Yesterday he told me the Gearmore book recommends 24" closed, mine was 20" closed. I went home cut up a 3.5" block of 3/4" thick plate by 2.5" wide and cut the eyelet off my hydraulic cylinder, faced the ends and welded in a 3.5" extension, it works great. Wow, did I get off topic. The aftermarket products should not have a affect on the warranty unless it is they that are the direct result of the failure. If a Woods backhoe snap your tractor in half, my guess is they built the hoe improperly for the tractor, an unlikely scenario from a great manufactuer like Woods. The independent hydraulic hoes can operate more effectively then the tractors hydraulics but also introduce a new set of issues. It needs its own hydraulic tank, pump, relief valve etc. I would prefer the tractor run hydraulics for simplicity if it can operate the hoe. Rat...

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #5  
Well, just goes to show what I know. Probably should have stated that the Kubota salesman I talked to was recommending a Woods 3ph backhoe instead of the Kubota 3ph BH. Thanks for the clarification. Certainly didn't intend to knock any of the 3rd party stuff or claim to know the different products these companies offer.

<font color="blue"> The only possible downside of a subframe mount hoe is that there is a small receiver bracket that remains on the tractor to accept the BH subframe. This small bracket might interfere with mid-mount mower operation. </font>

This is certainly true for my NH subframe BH. No MMM for me (dang it).

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #6  
Oops...typo....

I said " </font><font color="blue" class="small">( While the Woods backhoes can be subframe mounted, I think the majority of people (myself included) that buy them for their tractors opt for a subframe mount... )</font> "

What I meant to type is "While the Woods backhoes can be 3 pt. hitch mounted..."

~Rick

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #7  
Either way you go you'll be happy,but that New Holland stuff sure is nice.

/ Need help! Orange or Blue? #8  
I researched the big three (Green, Blue, Orange) and IMHO all have about the same capabilities and prices so it boils down to the local dealer and service.
The LOCAL JD dealer wouldn't even return my fax/call, Kubota dealer thought pretty highly of his product and held the price high, the NH dealer worked (didn't sweat) the deal and was rewarded with the sale, TN75. He delivered the product a little late and with an 'expendable' rotary mower we needed for the weekend. I proceeded to make the mistake on the following Monday of going to see him and guess what was sitting in his yard, a TN75D with Cab. Given my fun with grass pollens and what not and his enthusiasm they took back the TN75 at par (with 22hrs on it) and are deliverying the new tractor this week with all the attachments.

Now this doesn't reflect any warranty work that may have to be done and any issues there but the first part of this relationship has been pretty positive.

Hope that helps.