Tractor Sizing Need help sorting out what tractor to buy

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #1  

WhirldWorks

Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF205
I appreciate all the knowledge on this site and thought I'd come in to ask for some help. The little MF205 I bought a little over a year ago was a fun little tractor and worked very well at cutting my grass. Unfortunately it has been under repair far more than it has been operational and quite frankly I'm tired of spending money on it. Especially since I now know it is not going to meet our longer term goals.

We have a 10 acre hay field and currently a neighbor bales the hay and gets a cut of the product. I'm thinking he may not be into doing this much longer so I am trying to decide if I need to gear up for my own operation. What I am up against is a lack of knowledge, but a universe of choices. It really is confusing to my brain how many different combinations and possibilities there are.

What I really need to boil this down to is the most affordable sized tractor/baler combination I can find. I've come to the understanding that I would probably need at least a Cat 2 PTO, but when it comes to balers, there are so many for sale, but they rarely say how much HP is required to run them.

We probably don't need to produce big round bales for our own needs, but I guess those seem to sell better than the smaller square bales. I actually prefer the square bales for my use with our goats and sheep, but we are a micro-farm in the middle of cattle country.

Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy scrap parts from an MF250....lol

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #2  
We have a 10 acre hay field and currently a neighbor bales the hay and gets a cut of the product. I'm thinking he may not be into doing this much longer so I am trying to decide if I need (SHOULD) to gear up for my own operation.

I live in Florida hay country. While I do not hay myself, my neighbors do.

Even if you value your time at zero, I do not believe you can expect any return on investment on hay equipment and a tractor on ten acres. The multiple hay implements required are too expensive.

So if your sharecropping partner is going out, I suggest you consider alternatives to hay, or buy your partner's equipment when he quits, if the price is right. Buying from your partner you will have some assurance the equipment is properly sized to the tractor and operating and adjusted correctly, assurances which you will not have buying used from the unknown.

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #3  
I don't think it would be cost effective to gear up to do ten acres of hay.Been there done that.Hire it done.

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #4  
Hire it done #2. Only reason I have haying equipment, which is currently downsized, is that I did it on leased land for enough volume to justify the means.

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy
I understand those financial stipulations. I'm not planning on going out and get kitted up in 3 months. What I discovered with my current tractor is that it wasn't really powerful enough for much more than a shredder. Well, I also discovered that I apparently chose unwisely and got a piece of crap tractor that I've spent way too much time and money on and apparently the guy saw me coming from 100 miles away.

What I need is a tractor that I can DEPEND on, will run my shredder and perhaps even a few additional implements over time, perhaps even a loader. Hay baling really is the last on my list of priorities as I have a lot of other jobs I need a tractor for, but it would be nice to have one that could run equipment in the future if need be.

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #6  
A 50ish HP tractor would be kind of a good middle ground, I'd think. Strong enough to have a decent selection of equipment available, but light enough not to cause issues while raking. A Cab for sure, unless you don't mind being baked. Something like a L6060, maybe?

Note, themadone does not do hay, and only understands it through browsing the internet. And spending summers chucking bales as a kid.

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #7  
If you want a budget machine, I think the 50ish HP Workmaster tractors from New Holland are supposed to be a lot of machine for the money.

The MX that i have is slightly smaller in size, but similar HP. Now you can get the MX series with 58 engine HP. These tractors are available with HST. I love my hydro. I bet it'd be perfect for cutting or baling, especially when your tractor is on the small side. As long as it's heavy enough to handle your implements.

Kubota makes a base model M series tractor also, which I imagine would be a good machine.

Good luck with your hunt. Let us know what you end up with.

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #8  
A 50ish HP tractor would be kind of a good middle ground. Strong enough to have a decent selection of equipment available, but light enough not to cause issues while raking. A Cab for sure, unless you don't mind being baked. Something like a L6060, maybe?

If you want a budget machine, I think the 50ish HP Workmaster tractors from New Holland are a lot of machine for the money.

The Kubota MX that i have is slightly smaller in size, but similar HP. Now you can get the MX series with 58 engine HP. These tractors are available with HST. I love my hydro. I bet it'd be perfect for cutting or baling, especially when your tractor is on the small side. As long as it's heavy enough to handle your implements.

Kubota makes a base model M series tractor also, which I imagine would be a good machine.

These suggestions are a bit less than 4,000 pounds, bare tractor.

The Kubota Grand L tractors, such as the L6060, are deluxe models, available with a cab. I have the small Grand L, an L3560, and consider the Grand Ls well worth the price asked.

The Kubota MX tractors use the same chassis and engine block as the larger Grand L series, but bare bones, to sell at a very competitive price. Hence, no cabs on the MX series. Less money, less comfort, somewhat less capable due to budget kit.

The Kubota M series are the next heavier increment of Kubota tractors at around 5,000 pounds, bare tractor. Very nice tractors but perhaps a trifle much for ten acres. There is a bare bones M model too: M5640SU.

New you will be spending ~~$30,000 for open station, HST models with loaders, before sales tax. Cabbed models with heat and A/C considerably more.

Last edited:
   / Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #9  
I appreciate all the knowledge on this site and thought I'd come in to ask for some help. The little MF205 I bought a little over a year ago was a fun little tractor and worked very well at cutting my grass. Unfortunately it has been under repair far more than it has been operational and quite frankly I'm tired of spending money on it. Especially since I now know it is not going to meet our longer term goals.

We have a 10 acre hay field and currently a neighbor bales the hay and gets a cut of the product. I'm thinking he may not be into doing this much longer so I am trying to decide if I need to gear up for my own operation. What I am up against is a lack of knowledge, but a universe of choices. It really is confusing to my brain how many different combinations and possibilities there are.

What I really need to boil this down to is the most affordable sized tractor/baler combination I can find. I've come to the understanding that I would probably need at least a Cat 2 PTO, but when it comes to balers, there are so many for sale, but they rarely say how much HP is required to run them.

We probably don't need to produce big round bales for our own needs, but I guess those seem to sell better than the smaller square bales. I actually prefer the square bales for my use with our goats and sheep, but we are a micro-farm in the middle of cattle country.

I also had a 10 acre spread with room for a 7 acre hayfield.
My tractor was a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, 8F/2R partially synchronized tranny, power steering) with an ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, chain hooks, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, skid steer quick attach option). Cost new: $18.5K
My baler was a Massey Ferguson 124 (small squares, two-twine) that requires a minimum of 33 hp per the manufacturer.

Good luck

/ Need help sorting out what tractor to buy #10  

yes if you still have the front axle, specifically L&R frnt axle's to include the outter u-joints and final drive rod thanks acbbodily@hotmail.com thanks