Need Help...... TC 30 or other.....

/ Need Help...... TC 30 or other..... #1  

fctadam

Tractor
2004 TC30
I'm looking to make my first compact tractor purchase. I have run every type of equipment there is from large to small, but know nothing about the mechanics of them. I have no brand preference? It will be used for a landscaping small business, firewood, and other camp chores, digging out stumps, leveling etc.

I was wondering what you thought about the TC24D, in comparison to the TC 30. The 24D is priced higher but seems to have less muscle but more bells and whistles. I'm looking for more power, than fancy features. That's why I thought the TC30 was the way to go. Is the TC30 a tried and true four wheel drive with power going to all four wheels or is it just, front wheel drive? I'm a little confused what 4wd means. I want a real four wheel drive like a truck. Just want to make the right purchase. It's nice to see a package with manual transmission, over the hydrostatic. How does the TC30 stack up to the competition as far as attachments?

Also, Do you think a half/ton Z71 with a 5.3 (2001) engine will tow this effectively? It will not be towed daily, but the brunt of the work would be done at a camp, forty or so miles from my home, with some steep hills. My truck is rated to tow 10,000lbs, I believe. I'm not expecting it to tow 65 mph, but don't want any problems either.

/ Need Help...... TC 30 or other..... #2  
If your truck has an automatic and the rear axle is geared 3.73 or 4.10 you will have no problems unless you make the mistake of towing in overdrive. I have a Yukon XL with 6.0 and 3.73 gears and it's rated to pull 8100 lbs. My JD 4210 on my tandem axle landscape trailer weighs about 5500 lbs total with loader and mower attached to the JD and I have no problems at all. I don't have wheel weights or loaded tires but a TC-30 weighs at least 400 lbs less than a 4210 if both are equipped equally.

One thing though--my XL is a 2500 series with stiff rear springs so it can handle a lot more tongue weight than a 1500 series pickup can. Depending on the weight of the trailer you buy, you may need to beef up your rear suspension.

/ Need Help...... TC 30 or other.....
I have an automatic with a 3.73 rear end. It's also rated to tow 8,100 lbs. Do you still think I will need an upgrade in the rear end? I could also place the tractor a little further back on the trailer to reduce some tongue weight.

My son has a manual 5 speed 1500 with a 3.73 rear end and HD suspension. It's rated for 6,100 lbs or so. That might drop his rear end very low.

/ Need Help...... TC 30 or other..... #4  
I will try to clarify something that I may have confused you with...the 8100 lb tow rating is the weight of what the vehicles are rated to pull from the manufacturer. Different engine sizes, axle ratios, etc. influence the tow rating. Your truck is rated to actually tow 8100 lbs. but the odds are your hitch, if a GM factory installed type, is rated for two different methods of towing. One type is weight carrying, the other is weight distributing. Weight carrying means the trailer tongue weight is placed directly on the hitch ball, if the trailer tongue weight is 600 lbs. your hitch must be rated to carry that much weight.
Weight distributing means spring bars are used to distribute part of the tongue weight to the front axle of the towing vehicle and part to the trailer axles, reducing the actual weight applied to the hitch.

I will give an example, a hitch may have a rating of 500 lbs. tongue weight and 5000 lbs. maximum trailer weight when used for a weight carrying hitch and a 1000 lbs. tongue weight and 10,000 lbs. maximum trailer weight when used as a weight distributing hitch. Your hitch should have a label which lists the rating. Moving the tractor back on the trailer will lighten the tongue weight but 10 to 15% of the total loaded trailer weight should be on the tongue. So, if you have a 6000 lb. loaded trailer you should have a minimum of 600 lbs on the hitch ball, but if your hitch is rated for only 500 lbs tongue weight you have a problem.

Your son's 1500 is rated at the 6100 lbs. tow rating mainly because it's a manual transmission. Truck makers usually rate automatics a ton or so higher for the same engine/axle ratio because they multiply torque and clutches are easy to abuse when moving a lot of weight.

Sorry this is long winded, PM me if you need clarification.