Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #1  

Steve02

Tractor
Kubota B2410
Need help w/ older tractors as I can\'t afford new

Just as the title states, I would like to get a tractor but don't know that I can afford the price of the new ones - so I am starting to look at the older models. I was previously looking at a Kubota BX23/24. I am just extremly unfamiliar with the older models and which ones had what features and which ones should be avoided, etc..

The tractor would primarily be used to mow anywhere from 1 to 5 acres of lawn, plow (or snow blow) a couple pretty long (and steep) driveways, minimal brush clearing and maybe some leveling/grading work.

I would like a tractor that has the following:
-4 wheel drive (for clearing the steep driveways)
-Power steering
-25-40 hp (engine or PTO, doesn't matter)
-A FEL and BH (or at least available and capable of being put on and taken off).

Things that don't matter to much to me include:
-Gas or diesel
-Transmission (as long as the rear pto is capable of driving a newer rear mounted snow blower)

Basically I would just like to know what models are out there that you guys know of that meet all or most of what I am looking for. Also, I prefer not to go gray market - I would like a machine from a major mfg. (for parts purposes).

Thanks,

Steve

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #2  
Re: Need help w/ older tractors as I can\'t afford new

I can't comment on Kubota's or Ford/New Holland since my experience with them is limited.

With one caveat...one of the older Kubota BX2200's might be just right for you, and priced right as well. This was the first tractor I looked at about 5 years ago. Frankly, it would have been perfect for most of my tasks, other the brush cutting (which was not on my original list). Alas, I couldn't convince my wife..so I went for a used Deere 670 instead. Never looked back, either...

It's likely you won't find a tractor with a backhoe in your price range.

You're also looking for too much horsepower for your acreage. 30 gross HP would be quite enough for all of the tasks you described.

For Deere, I'd look into any of the x55 series (755, 855, 955...all hydro's) or x70 series (670, 770) or an older 790 (all gear transmissions).

Even the little 670 I had (which is about 1½ times the size of the BX2200) could do all of your tasks. This tractor had 19 gross HP and 16.5 HP at the PTO. Tough little worker, that tractor. I miss mine!

Here's a web site to start your search.

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #3  

Hi Steve,

I bought a Ford 1220 a couple of years ago. Their current Model is the TC-18 though TC-29 and larger.

The 1220 is a four wheel drive, power steering 3 cylinder diesel at about 20 HP. They also offered a 1320, 1520, 1620 and on up, all similarly equipped. The gas company in NE Ohio used a lot of the 1920 with Bradco backhoes.

Worth taking a look. My neighbor has a 1620, similar to mine with 24HP, I believe.

Good luck,
Curt

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #4  

4wd all but rules out antique's...

Might as well go for HST.. and try to find an economy new model.. like a tc30.. tc24d... etc..

49hp might be a bit big for 5 ac.. but then.. that's a personal decision..I have (multiple tractor.. .. one being ) a 95 hp tractor on 13 ac.. etc..

soundguy

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #5  

The real open question is how much CAN you spend? If you can swing 8 or 9 grand, then a mid 90s compact would work, nearly all of them could accept a backhoe- although you will quickly find out that the backhoe costs almost as much as the tractor...

if your range is lower, then you are into early 80s compacts, harder to find loader, impossible (almost) to find power steering. If you are handy and have a lot of patience, there is also the chinese route.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #6  

Well, Steve02, it's a surprize to me that someone from Dublin is thinking about a used machine for budget reasons. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Up here in Wayne county, used compacts are kind of hard to find, especially with a loader. That's why I'm looking for a new one. If gear will do, the local NH dealer has a 4 year old Massey lot sitter with a loader and 54" bucket that has been looking for a home for a long time. They have it priced around $13,500. I don't know if naming dealers is allowed, but let's find out. The name is Lowe and Young, located on Rte. 30 east of Wooster. It's close to the intersection of 30 and Apple Creek Road (county road 44) if you want to try to contact them. You can PM me for a phone number if you wish.

You can check E-Bay, but watch out for scams. Don't even think about contacting anyone who says to email them personally and to avoid contacting them through normal E-Bay channels. Also, watch out for the seemingly incredible prices. They're a scam, along with the guys who will ship anywhere in the world free. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If you get serious about a deal there, set it up so you pay cash upon viewing prior to pickup. There seems to be a number of dishonest people trying to get rich pretending to sell good tractors on E-Bay.

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #7  

Steve,

I too was in a similar situation earlier this year, and my research led to the same conclusion as Roy. Ultimately I purchased a JD 870, it's a '98 with 700 h. The machine was 8k, with the installation of a new 420 loader, and bb, the final tab was just under 12k. It was a harvest lease return, and had been regularly serviced by JD. The machine works fine, it's durable, and has exceeded my expectations.

Hope this helps.

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #8  

Here are my thoughts on the older iron. I have a ‘84 International, 2WD, 42HP 484 for sale for $7500. It has less than 1600 hours on it. I would not recommend this tractor for strictly yard work. It is too heavy and too cumbersome. Not very maneuverable also. I tried to make this tractor a yard machine but I have a few small fenced-in lots for cattle. If you have wide open spaces with very few obstacles, this tractor would be fine. It can handle a lot of heavy implements. But for tight mowing, well, lets say I bought a Case-IH DX-33 CUT. But it was $12500 with 1 hour on it. With the same 72” rear finish mower, the CUT will run rings around that 484 on maneuverability. I can mow the same area quicker and with almost no damage to the grass. It is almost a joy to mow with, but it will not handle the heavy implements that the 484 will handle. Maybe it’s just me. The 484 will do all that you want and the attachments that you mention are available for it. But for 5 acres or less, I’d be looking for a used CUT. Even my DX is overkill for less than 5 acres.

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #9  

Hi Steve,

I just recently purchased my first tractor after months of reading and looking at want ads. In addition to this site, I found tractordata.com to be extremely helpful in identifying just exactly what people are advertising for sale. I found that most people advertise the model of their tractor which means little or nothing to a newbie like me. Tractor data gives the year of manufacture and basic specs for a plethora of tractors. You may find it very useful as I did.

/ Need help w/ older tractors as I can't afford new #10  

I never heard of the Plethora brand. Is that some new conglomerate or something? What color are they? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif