Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862

/ Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862 #1  

OldBulldogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 4WD
Hello all,
I have a chance to purchase a Cub Cadet 1862 with 858 hours on it. It is a 92 model. It looks great for its age - real clean, obviously stored indoors, no rust, no dents, dings, etc other than a small crack in the grille where the hood was allowed to flip open too fast. I talked to the original owner who said he took great care of it and changed oil in the spring and fall. He had it for 18 years.

He said it ran great until the last year he had it. He said it all of sudden would rev up and down on its own. When running it parked the engine would want to try to race and when trying to mow, it would run fine and then lose power, and then power up again, like it was surging. He didn't know what was wrong so he sold it to another guy who buys them for cheap and then fixes them. I talked to that guy as well. He said the mower runs just fine and nothing is wrong with it other than it needs a new govenor. He said these are internal in this engine and to fix it would require tearing the engine apart just to get to it. It is a Kohler 18hp Magnum. He claims it is about a $400 fix. He does not have time to fix it with all his other projects so he wants to sell it and would let it go for $800. I think I could get him down to $750. It does start right up and runs good otherwise. Hydraulic steering and lift work great. No smoking while running. I ran it as well to test it out and the engine power surging was the only thing I noticed as well otherwise it seems to work fine.

So, my question is is this a good buy, even with the fix? If that is all that is wrong with it, I would have about $1200 into it. Are these a good mower? Would this be a better buy for the same money than some of the box store mowers out there today? I have an old Cub Cadet 127 now that is 40 years old and is pretty tired and in need of some costly repairs if I keep it. All things aside, to get 40 years out of a mower says something so I am just wondering if this model is of similar caliber.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks much!

/ Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862 #2  
if this has the magnum engine in it, changing the govenor requires a total engine teardown. my 1541 has a magnum m18s engine in it. was told by one shop that it was about 4 hours labor. that is a joke. the engine case has to be split in half, the govenor is at the bottom of the engine. took to another shop who has trained technicians. they were quite knowledgeable. also had to replace one piston and new set of rings. rebuilt carb and replaced flywheel. (damaged by first shop.) it was a toss-up for a new shortblock($1700.00) or rebuild the engine. i elected to have the engine rebuilt. between parts and labor..$1800.00. engine runs strong and does not leak oil. my engine had around 1,200 hours on it. i am surprised that the govenor went bad with such low hours on it. i would check to see what a 1862 is going for on e-bay or the internet with that many hours. it may be worth the investment. good luck.

/ Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862 #3  
For what it's worth... I had the same problem with my Scotts 18 hp
Kolher engine...after dumping about $500 in NON -related parts tires...carb parts ... starter solenoid... belts ... idler pulleys etc....
I cut my losses and sold it for $250.... I told the buyer what I just said here,
and he was happy with the deal.
Still running to my knowledge.... but thinks it's a motorcycle the way it revs !
Pete

/ Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862 #4  
I wouldn`t be afraid of that 1862. I have a 1863 54" with 2400 hrs. and still going stong. just sits there waiting for the 3225 60" to come in the barn with most any sort of problem which has been many.I almost caught it trying to start up before I sit on the seat!!! Try checking the linkage from carb to governor if its free, if not drop some oil on the shaft and maybe try changing location of the of the springs in the different holes. Plugs, air cleaner, carb cleaning? I would try these before spending a lot. My 1863 uses oil so be it. They just don~t make them that way anymore. Just bought a twin to my 1863 for $400 that has a bad transmison. so I have a parts tractor.

/ Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862 #5  
the main difference between the 1863 and the 1862 is the engine. the 1863 has the command engine which i believe has a better reputation than the m18s magnum engine in the 1862. i found that typically, the 18s has a life af around 1000-1200 hours. after that it will require a rebuild. on my particular engine, it had a little over 1200 hours. mine ran fine when i mowed my lawn, but, when i was backing it into my shed, the engine "ran away" on me. it was scary!. it would idle down and start fine but when you tried to increase the throttle, it would gradually increase in rpms. it would not hold a steady level of rpms. the govenor gear as i said, is in the bottom of and the engine and i believe is made of plastic. hence, a total teardown to replace the gear. as the previous poster said, if your engine is not running away on you, it could very well be a carb adjustment or linkage. but, this does not usually start all of a sudden.

/ Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862
Thanks for the input and keep it coming. I ended up buying the 1862. Like I said, the machine lookds great for it's age and appears very well cared for. It does start up just like it should and seems to run just fine at low idle. It also runs smooth throughout the entire throttle range. The only change is once I start to move the throttle lever upward towards full throttle - at about the half open throttle position - the engine really start to race. It will idle down again only when the throttle is moved all the way down to low idle position. From there it will hold the idle but if I move it upwards again, eventually it will really take off. There is a sweet spot about half idle range where it will hold the idle before racing so I can run it but I know it will need the repair. From what I am hearing and reading from others - it all points to the governor. What do you think?

My local Cub shop said it will cost between $400 to $500 with parts to fix it. My cost conscious side says to go with the minimal fix and call it good. My other thought is that if I have it broke down that far, should I have it rebuilt? It has 858 hours on it now. What do you suggest at minimum for rebuilding? New rings? Bearings? What kind of cost would be involved?

/ Need help with a Cub Cadet 1862 #7  
actually, 400-500 plus parts is not too bad. while they are in there have them check pistons, rings and bearings. as in my case, i had one bad pistonand rings(did not smoke.), had to replace flywheel(about 400 dollars).. I think my original estimate was around 1000 dollars. there is a lot of labor to tear this down, so that is where a lot of the costs will be. my original shop used the wrong sealants so that is why it leaked so bad. all in all, i am pleased with my overhaul. if the mechanic has previous experience in repairing the magnum, you should be pleased. let us know how you make out.