Need help with digital camcorder and computer

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
HI,
I bought a panasonic didgital camcorder a couple years ago,and have not yet been able to figure out how to get it into the computer to burn on dvd.It takes the mini dv video cassettes.I bought the wire to plug into the computer[same as my digital camera] I seem to be missing a program or something in my DELL computer,or im just brain dead because i cant figure it out.What program do i click on or ?When i use my kodak camera the program automatically detects it.Nothing happens with the camcorder.I know theres stuff on the tapes,because i can replay on the camcorder.I went back to radioshack a couple times,but they are all useless,and dont have a clue about nothin except taking your money.Would you folks with a digital camcorder please give me a clue on how to do this.thankyou
ALAN

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer
HI,
I bought a panasonic didgital camcorder a couple years ago,and have not yet been able to figure out how to get it into the computer to burn on dvd.It takes the mini dv video cassettes.I bought the wire to plug into the computer[same as my digital camera] I seem to be missing a program or something in my DELL computer,or im just brain dead because i cant figure it out.What program do i click on or ?When i use my kodak camera the program automatically detects it.Nothing happens with the camcorder.I know theres stuff on the tapes,because i can replay on the camcorder.I went back to radioshack a couple times,but they are all useless,and dont have a clue about nothin except taking your money.Would you folks with a digital camcorder please give me a clue on how to do this.thankyou
ALAN

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer #3  
If the wire you are talking about "same as my digital camera" is a USB, no that can not be used for video. the cable you need to use is a 1394 cable, pic below

1394.gif

If you are running XP, then you should have "Windows Movie Maker". Windows Movie Maker 10 is the newest one and you can get it by running "windows update".

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer #4  
If the wire you are talking about "same as my digital camera" is a USB, no that can not be used for video. the cable you need to use is a 1394 cable, pic below

1394.gif

If you are running XP, then you should have "Windows Movie Maker". Windows Movie Maker 10 is the newest one and you can get it by running "windows update".

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer #5  
What MrSteve said. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1394 is also known as "Firewire". If you don't have a Firewire port on your computer, you'll need to buy a PCI card. You might look for a bundle like this one.

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer #6  
What MrSteve said. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1394 is also known as "Firewire". If you don't have a Firewire port on your computer, you'll need to buy a PCI card. You might look for a bundle like this one.

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer #7  
I should of added above, you just can't plug a 1394 into your camcorder, in other words it dosen't go into the plug that the USB dose (at least on camcorders I have seen it wont work).

If you don't have a 1394 plug on your computer, just like BillG said you can get a PCI card (easiest way), pic below...
pci_ieee_1394_card3.jpg

or you can go another way and get a video capture card, pic below...
osprycapcrd.gif

The above card is used just like if you were plugging the camcorder into the TV, no spec cables needed.

BUT, IMO the Firewire is the cheapest and easiest way to go, that is IF your camcorder has the plug for 1394.

/ Need help with digital camcorder and computer #8  
I should of added above, you just can't plug a 1394 into your camcorder, in other words it dosen't go into the plug that the USB dose (at least on camcorders I have seen it wont work).

If you don't have a 1394 plug on your computer, just like BillG said you can get a PCI card (easiest way), pic below...
pci_ieee_1394_card3.jpg

or you can go another way and get a video capture card, pic below...
osprycapcrd.gif

The above card is used just like if you were plugging the camcorder into the TV, no spec cables needed.

BUT, IMO the Firewire is the cheapest and easiest way to go, that is IF your camcorder has the plug for 1394.

THANKS GUYS,
I had my wife view this thread and we are going to order the parts shown.You would have thought it would have come with the camcorder.She also updated the other stuff like you said.Like usual ,the great folks on TBN havge answers to all my questions!
ALAN

THANKS GUYS,
I had my wife view this thread and we are going to order the parts shown.You would have thought it would have come with the camcorder.She also updated the other stuff like you said.Like usual ,the great folks on TBN havge answers to all my questions!
ALAN