need help with ferg 30 valves

/ need help with ferg 30 valves #1  

lil misfit

Tractor
52 ferguson to 30
Hi all. New to the foum but have enjoyed the articles in past research. Now I have an issue. I have a 52 ferg 30 that I've been working the last few years and its run great, but I was doing some work on the neighbors driveway and it went down on me. Took off the valve cover and one of the valves has dropped. My questions are how bad can this be? Should I attempt to fix this and where to locate parts? Or should I get a real mechanic to work on it as there are a couple good ones in the area. Any advice or input would be appreciated.

/ need help with ferg 30 valves #2  
Make noise or just loose power?

Ford red tiger ohv engines are non Interference , not sure on fergies.

If you are lucky, something lil an intake coil be stuck down.. Probably dropped a pushrod off a lifter, or if it was a hard push, might have bent pushrods.

Valve springs broke on the down one?

Post pics of valve train and pushrod covers off

/ need help with ferg 30 valves
Thank you for the response, and not much noise. It was a couple of pops and then died out. I figured it was the head gasket as its been starting to smoke more the last year or two. Got out in between rainstorms this evening to get a few pics Hope they help. 1433797737085_IMG_20150608_170305_124.jpg1433797731028_IMG_20150608_170329_666.jpg

/ need help with ferg 30 valves #4  
Well, that one likely went south!

/ need help with ferg 30 valves #5  
Be sure to check the piston, could be damaged as well.

/ need help with ferg 30 valves #6  
As well as the cyl wall

I'm in search of a repair manual for it now so I can see what's missing and what I need to get. I worked on truck motors a little bit years ago but never got into the top ends short of carb changes, but it looks like I could pull the manifold and then the head to check the piston and cylinders with out messing with the valves. Is this correct?

/ need help with ferg 30 valves #9  
Has the valve disappeared completely into the cylinder or is it still partially in the guide?
It should be a job you can do if you go slowly and ask lots of questions and take lots of pictures to remind you how things go together.
For example, loosen the head bolts gradually in a Cris cross pattern to not warp the head.
The cylinder head will need to go to an automotive machine shop to be checked and overhauled.
Remind the machinist that it is an old tractor and not a modern racing car so a few gouges in the head would not be a big deal.
If the cylinder wall or piston is damaged then some choices have to be made.
You need to know if the engine has sleeves in the cylinders for example.
This site shows liners and pistons for about $250
Piston and Sleeve Set [S.60737] - $234.51 : Fix That Ferguson!, Tractor parts for Ferguson and Massey Ferguson tractors.

Hiring one of your local mechanics and working as his helper may teach you a great deal.
Dave M7040

Its been pretty wet here this last few days and the tractors outside covered so I havent been able to get back into it yet but I think your suggestion of working with the mechanic is the way to go. If I try to do it alone I atleast want to get it in the barn before its opened up because I know its going to go slow alone vs someone knowing what to do. Deffinatly gotta do something soon hays bout knee deep already.