Need help with homemade pto log splitter!

/ Need help with homemade pto log splitter! #11  
Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Valves: 0 or 1
Total flow: 8.29 gpm [31.4 lpm]
Steering flow: 4.8 gpm [18.2 lpm]

Your pump flow is 3.49 GPM

Tractor data says your hyd system is open center hyd system.

You should not have that kind of pressure with valve in neutral.

You also have 31 HP at the PTO, so you could run a rather large PTO pump.

You also don't have to spend that kind of money for remotes.

How many spools do you need?

The Prince valve I posted above would make your tractor seem like 24 GPM.

/ Need help with homemade pto log splitter! #12  
I don't mind the pump being right on the tractors pto on mine, it's not that hard to get on or take off...

SR

/ Need help with homemade pto log splitter!
So would it make more sense to buy a 21 gpm pto hydraulic pump and redo the hydraulic lines or buy a 7 ish cu inch hydraulic pump and keep the setup I have? I saw some regular hydraulic pumps on surplus center in that size for around $400 or so with a Keyed shaft so the pto shaft would still work?

Any benefits to one versus the other? How about just having the pump I have rebuilt? Any idea who does that or cost?

How should I check the pressure? Where does the gauge go?

/ Need help with homemade pto log splitter! #14  
I'm not sure you have a bad pump, just yet... Have you checked for air in the line some place...

SR

/ Need help with homemade pto log splitter!
No, I did just replace all the hoses and fluid though. If it has air how do you check that? I thought running it would get the air out. Sorry for my incredibly inept knowledge of hydraulics but I'm trying!

/ Need help with homemade pto log splitter! #16  
To check your pressure, install a hyd gauge in a tee in the IN port of the log splitter valve.

You haven't said whether the pump is open center or closed center.

Does the return port dump fluid continuously, and if so, then it is open center hyd system.

To check your cyl for bad seals, fully extend the shaft, shut engine off and then remove the rod end hose.

Start engine and try to extend some more, and see if any fluid is flowing from the rod end port.

You will purge any air just by operating the cyl about 5 cycles.

/ Need help with homemade pto log splitter! #17  
IF it is a bad pump, a PTO pump is still the best bet. Normal pumps are designed to run 3000-4000RPM.

A 7GPM pump spinning only 540 RPM is only gonna be a few GPM of flow. So you would have to go to the trouble of gearing the pump up to run faster.