Need info on rotary tiller for my specific needs

/ Need info on rotary tiller for my specific needs #1  

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I know there have been similar posts but I couldn't really find what I need to know. I'm new at this and tend to jump in with both feet but given the cost of attachments, I need to lean on your collective wisdom.

Tractor-Kubota M7040-61 PTO hp
Use-Till 400'x100' garden and about 3-4 acres of several food plots
Soil-I have not had it tested but I can see its a pretty good mix that has some sand and might have very small amount of clay. Even at my age I was able to dig several 18" diameter holes with a post hole digger for trees.

I know, small potatoes compared to most of you. So these areas have all been previously tilled at least in the last 2-3 years. I've been looking at a 7' unit that's about $4,600 and rated for 50-85hp. Not sure if I should post since they are a sponsor here.

So my questions are with my limited use, would I be just as well served with a lesser unit? Also, I'm just assuming I want a rotary tiller this wide so it goes beyond the width of my tractor.....is that correct? From what I understand, if I want it for next spring I may need to order now.

I'd really appreciate any input or even specific tiller suggestions.

/ Need info on rotary tiller for my specific needs #2  
for what you have to till get as big a tiller as you can handle.

you might also look at Betstco tillers. They have 3 grades of tillers.

Free shipping and work really well. Quite happy with mine

/ Need info on rotary tiller for my specific needs #3  
So my questions are with my limited use, would I be just as well served with a lesser unit?

Till 400'x100' garden and
3-4 acres of food plots.

You will need a heavy weight roto-tiller behind your M in the food plots, both for penetration of unworked ground and for strength when encountering inevitable roots and corms under the soil surface.

/ Need info on rotary tiller for my specific needs #4  
Been happy with my Tarter from TSC for years with that amount of use in clay soil. I've tilled virgin pasture many times, just slower than previously tilled garden plots. They make a 7 footer.

Kevin

/ Need info on rotary tiller for my specific needs #5  
I've used several brands and honestly think that the 5' KK tiller that I have does the best job of any that I've ever used. We till several acres with it every year and so far it's bullet-proof.

I agree that a tiller that covers your tire tracks makes the whole process much easier and results in a better job.

I don't know that a cheaper alternative is necessarily a "lesser" unit.

Any 7' tiller is going to be HEAVY. You won't need to worry about "penetration". Once you break the surface so the skid shoes aren't riding on top of hard ground, it'll drop to full depth on the next pass.

In general, it's my opinion that a smaller tractor / tiller combination is more versatile and useful. But if you're definitely going to be using it on the M7040, I'd get something that covers your rear tires.

/ Need info on rotary tiller for my specific needs
All good suggestions. I'll stick with the 7' width for my M7040.

I also think....unless new roots have grown or ne rocks start to surface it may be like going through warm butter. All the places I'll be tilling have been tilled for years except for the last two years.

I may not be able to plant every year due to my schedule working on Navy ships, but at least I'll be able to till the ground every year to help keep it workable.