Need input - gravel

/ Need input - gravel #11  
You’re over thinking this. The “trick” you’re hoping to find doesn’t exist. Honestly, you aren’t going to get a perfectly consistent depth everywhere. But, it doesn’t matter if you do. Back drag your bucket, however you find works best for you, until everything looks nice and even. If it looks even, it's close enough. It's a driveway.

/ Need input - gravel #12  
Its going to take some work to get it perfect. The driver did not do you any favors by not spreading it fairly even to start with.

Chris

/ Need input - gravel #13  
You could bolt a piece of flat stock steel on each side of your bucket, extending it 2" below the bucket bottom. Maybe 3/8" thick stock a couple inches wide would work. That will cut through your new gravel and drag on the firm drive below it, leaving a 2" gap for the loose gravel to flow out as you back drag. It might be worth the time to rig it up and try it.

/ Need input - gravel #15  
However you go about it, it's going to require work. I had all the gravel in a heap (unfortunately) as there was not much room for the truck to move. I picked up bucketfuls with the FEL and dropped them regularly. I then backed , flattening everything with the heel of the bucket. I didn't go into float as a measure of down pressure was required. I finished by hand with the good old rake and roller.

Attachments

• DSCF1419 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1419 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF1421 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1421 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    572.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF1422 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1422 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    489 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF1423 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1423 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    586.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF1425 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1425 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF1424 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1424 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 147
   / Need input - gravel #16  
I have to agree with MMagis, The way I precieve your problem is your tring to make everything exactly 2". If there are dips and little hills of gravel, the I would ever so lightly back drag my FEL to smooth things out. Maybe spend a 30 minutes to get it close. I found the more I play with something like that the worse it gets. Now after you get 3 or 4 inches of rain, you will learn your FEL skills.

Wedge

/ Need input - gravel
I finished by hand with the good old rake and roller.

That is absolutely a beautiful piece of property. Approximately where in France are you located ?
Do you happen to know the age of the Home?

/ Need input - gravel #19  
Approximately where in France are you located ?
Do you happen to know the age of the Home?

This is in southern Brittany, Pont l'Abbé more precisely. My small property borders on the Atlantic ocean, but I cannot quite see your side, even from the top floor. The buildings date back to the 19th century, but I haven't been able to find precise dates.

Attachments

• DSCF1583 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1583 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF1585 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1585 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    199 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF1588 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1588 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF1601 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1601 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 101
   / Need input - gravel #20  
I am with the others here, its going to be raking to get it "perfect".
What i would do first is make a drag, get a piece of chain link fence and a 4x4 or 6x6 and some chain it will help. I have an old david bradley attachment that i use as my drag. Or just rake it, buy a landscape rake that is very wide.
I would think about compacting the gravel first, you dont want to spread it all two inches and have areas that you need to go back over.