Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose-

/ Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose- #11  
I've seen a product used in outdoor wood boiler setups which is a pex tube surrounded by insulation and a 4-inch corrugated pipe. Might be helpful for this application.
thats what I was going to recommend. what about keeping the air compressor at the house so you can fill and then blow out the hose/ water line so it doesnt burst?

/ Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose- #12  
I used to run a lot longer waterline above ground (300'+) to a horse water trough from the house. I just used 160 psi plastic pipe. Now I have it buried with Woodford Iowa frost free hydrants. The key to an above ground line is to have the filler end raised above the ground level so that it can be drained completely. Since it can take a few minutes to fill the trough, the ground water temperature will heat the plastic pipe well above the freezing point so that no ice will form in it during the filling. Then the water will completely drain out. Use a water tank heater to keep the trough from freezing. Plumb in a shutoff valve and an air inlet valve so that the line drains quickly.

You probably don't need to do this everyday, maybe 2ce a week or so? Get a trough big enough to reduce the number of fills. Be sure to add below ground shutoff valves (Street or City type) in the lines if you have several shunts off the mainline. This is in case a future break occurs underground from a stone puncture or a clamping failure. Use all brass fittingds and stainless steel clamps. Run an electric line in the trench when you bury it because you will want tank heaters at or near every hydrant (where the troughs would be).

I recommend the Iowas because they are easy and cheap to fix later on in life. Kits are available to replace the seals and stopper all without digging them up.

/ Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose-
When I ran my water from the well to the building site, 25+years ago, I rented a walk behind "ditch witch". Didn't cost much, I think about 50 bucks for an afternoon, and found that it would dig about 6 feet per minute in our soil at a depth of around 2.5 feet. I ran a trench 175 feet from the well to where the house is now in no time even up a steep bank. I also ran another couple of 600 foot trenches for other hydrants around the place all in less than 4 hours. Filled the trenches with 1 inch black poly pipe that they sell at HD. I think that you should just do it right the first time, and not have to worry about it, and redo it next year

]Didn't think of a ditch witch- have several projects for a mini excavator and thought of doing it all at once. I think one of the rental places has a larger unit that would go as deep as i need to. It seemed to have a big trenching arm on it- .

I've seen a product used in outdoor wood boiler setups which is a pex tube surrounded by insulation and a 4-inch corrugated pipe. Might be helpful for this application.

This is where I got the idea to make my own- with the addition of heat tape[/

what about keeping the air compressor at the house so you can fill and then blow out the hose/ water line so it doesnt burst?

Given some thought to this- we used to do that in the winter on the 1 inch booster line on the engine. It was a reel unit so it worked rather well. Not sure how i would set it up with the line left stretched out///at least without having to walk back and forth to open and shut valves[/I

/ Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose- #14  
Yes a trencher is the way to go for a waterline, I rented one 10 years ago for 175 dollars for the weekend, we trenched 800' of 1" waterline,6' deep. Rental is probly double now.

If you go with black plastic be sure to use brass barbed fittings, stainless clamps and T handle torque wrench made for hose clamps.

You can heat the pipe with a heat gun or torch just untill it starts to turn glossy, slide fitiing in, and clamp. Pex is much easier to work with.

Like said before run your wire in the trench also, this can also be a benifit if you ever have to locate the waterline, with an electronic locator.

If you have a stock tank and dont need a hydrant then use a ball valve underground with a T handle atached to turn on and off, you will need heat tape and insulation.

Dave

/ Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose- #15  
6 ft sounds perfect for laying water line- no fear of frost reaching it, and if in spots you can't get to the six- you'll still be below 5. What is your frost depth?

Back when we used to get 25 below with a wind- the 1.5 inch pipe coming from the well would freeze just below where it entered the house in the crawlspace- despite being foam insulated and wrapped very thickly with fiberglass batting. Cold penetrates- plan ahead.

6 ft sounds perfect for laying water line- no fear of frost reaching it, and if in spots you can't get to the six- you'll still be below 5. What is your frost depth?

Back when we used to get 25 below with a wind- the 1.5 inch pipe coming from the well would freeze just below where it entered the house in the crawlspace- despite being foam insulated and wrapped very thickly with fiberglass batting. Cold penetrates- plan ahead.

6 feet would be a minimum, heavy clay soil and ledge in areas although where I want to run it- I can go down far enough.

mhf_map_frostheave.gif

This chart is used for determining foundation depths based on the frost level. 70 to 80 inches down in out area is a possibility. Even with a yard hydrant that drains the stand pipe, I may still need to install componenets to drain out the line or blow air through it.

It would appear that getting a 300 gallon skid tank, floating heater and running electricity to it might be the better option. I would ony have to top it off every 10 to 14 days. Whatever method I use to refill, the less often I have to drag hose or exert myself during the winter will keep my cardiologist happy with me..

/ Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose- #17  
Ask for a trencher with a frost tooth digging chain, they have carbide tipped cutters, they realy dig!

Dave

/ Need input on insulated/heated water supply hose- #18  
I wouldn't waste my money on the pex with the insulation for the boilers. I do not think it would help in your situation. Boilers have pumps that cycle the water through a loop. If you put your line deep enough you will not need to worry. If you don't and the water sits for any time it will still freeze regardless of the amount of insulation you have on the pipe. Depending were you tap into your water, you may have to use heat tape until you get below the frost line.

I appreciate all of the information members provide. Certainley is worth the time to save wasted money.

For this winter, I will be getting a 275 gallon tote and using a submersible heater in it. I already have the appropriate electrical wire to run out of the way/not burried yet. The suggestion of gravity drain back is likely the method to prevent freezing- I just have to be careful where I direct runoff.

Crunching numbers really is leading me to using an excavator for the job. I have multiple other needs for the unit as opposed to a single purpose for a ditch witch. In addition, I know I will be able to dig deep enough to avoid the frost line without question.

Of course, the thought of moving to a warmer climate always seem to be suggested by my wife.....